ADVERTISEMENT

Millbrook @ Broad Run

I would be shocked if this was close. Millbrook has a good QB and several quick players that could break loose, but it will be a very tough game for them.

Last edited:
Millbrook might be in some trouble during this game. The biggest thing in Millbrook's favor would be BR coming out flat after the Stone Bridge game

Br is going beat millbrook and it’s not going to funny it’s probably gonna be a 50-10 score or something in that range

Millbrook will score some points but they won't be able to stop BR on the other end. I think the Spartans will put up over 30 in the first half.

Because for one thing is for sure if millbrook beat a 1-9 Culpepper 19-6 and they were awful, and a power house like stonebridge lost to Br, what do u expect millbrook to do just being honest

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Stranger things have happened.
Because for one thing is for sure if millbrook beat a 1-9 Culpepper 19-6 and they were awful, and a power house like stonebridge lost to Br, what do u expect millbrook to do just being honest

You would think so but upsets happen.

The start time at Broad Run HS this Friday, November 15, has been moved up one hour to 6:00 p.m.

Millbrook faces challenge in unbeaten Broad Run

The Broad Run football team has been as impressive as they come this year in building up a 10-0 record and outscoring opponents by more than 31 points per game.

Millbrook football coach Josh Haymore said his team is going to do everything it can to spoil the Dulles District champion’s season.

“I want to make a little noise,” said Haymore, whose team travels to Ashburn for a 6 p.m. start tonight. “We are a good football team. There’s a lot of non-believers out there that think Broad Run is going to win a state title because they’re ranked fourth in the state [for all classifications]. That’s just fuel.

“I just want to play. I’m just happy that we’re not turning in equipment. Everybody gets 10 games and then you get however many after that. Even if it’s one, every kid on the team is deserving of one more when you’re able to get that opportunity.”

The Spartans are averaging 41.8 points and 433.7 yards per game are led by Wake Forest commit and quarterback Mitch Griffis, the son of Broad Run head coach Matt Griffis. Griffis (181 of 260 for 2.557 yards, 28 touchdowns, four interceptions; 65 carries for 411 yards and nine TDs) is the Dulles District Offensive Player of the Year.

But Haymore said he’s most impressed by what the Spartans are doing on defense. Broad Run is giving up 11 points per game and features five all-Dulles District District selections, including linebackers Chaz Allison (6-2, 220) and Kesean Dyson. They have NCAA Division I scholarship offers from Valparaiso (Allison) and Butler (Dyson).

“I think they get after it,” said Haymore of Broad Run’s defense as a whole, which lines up in what Haymore describes as a 5-2. “[Linebackers Dyson and Kevin Gaus] are the guys to watch. That front seven, I don’t care who you put them against, they’re going to stop the run.”

Fortunately for Millbrook (33.6 points, 370.7 yards per game), the Pioneers can attack teams in a number of ways on offense.

Haymore was impressed with running back Gavin Evosirch’s performance last week after missing a game and a half with an injury (he had 15 carries for 127 yards in a 19-6 win against Culpeper County and now has 1,006 yards and 11 TDs on 137 carries this season).

Quarterback Kaden Buza (137 for 243, 2,348 yards, 24 TDs, 6 interceptions) has done a good job of spreading the wealth. Fellow senior Jordan Jackson (39 catches, 876 yards, nine TDs) is one of four Pioneers with at least 30 catches for 312 yards and four TDs.

Haymore said limiting turnovers is going to be key. Broad Run had five takeways in its 35-21 victory against previously unbeaten Stone Bridge last week.

“You look at their wins against really good teams, those teams had a lot of turnovers,” Haymore said. “They run to the ball, and they just happen to create turnovers because of how fast and how many guys they get to the ball. And we’ve got to find a way to take advantage of their box and establish some kind of run.”

Haymore said he’s definitely impressed with Griffis, who directs a multiple offense.

“He can fling it all over the lot,” Haymore said. “It doesn’t matter how deep the kid goes or where the route is at. He can put it on a spot, he can read a defense. If they need him to run the football, he’ll go in between the tackles and not have a problem. There’s a reason he’s got offers.”

Millbrook’s defense is giving up 327.2 yards and 24.2 points per game and is led by senior defensive tackle Tyler Duckstein (55 tackles) and junior defensive back Aidan Haines (team-high 94 tackles, five interceptions). Senior cornerback T.J. Spain leads the area with seven interceptions.

Other skill players besides Griffis on the Broad Run offense are first team Dulles running back Bennett Millar (114 carries, 631 yards, 11 TDs) and 6-2, 186-pound wide receiver Romy Miner, a first-team All-Dulles selection who has 48 catches for 897 yards and nine TDs. Miner — who has Division I scholarship offers from Central Michigan, Fordham and Lehigh — is one of six players on the Spartans who have at least 19 catches and 297 yards receiving and three TDs.

Haymore said he’s been impressed by his defensive line, which includes sophomores Landon Anderson, Edgar Rivas and Anthony Castillo. They helped Millbrook set a school record with only 58 yards allowed against Culpeper last week.

Haymore said the Spartans have a strong offensive line that features three players who are least 6 feet tall and 240 pounds in addition to All-Dulles first team center Jack Fielding. Freshman Alex Birchmeier made the second team but the 6-5, 246-pound player received a scholarship offer from Virginia last weekend.

“They’ve got some size up front, but they just play fast,” Haymore said. “They play hard. I think we match up pretty well size-wise against them, it’s just a matter of taking care of their scheme and doing what we need to do there.”

Broad Run up 27-18 in the 4th. Mad props to the Pioneers for bringing it back from 27-0. I think this one is a lot closer than most thought, myself included.

Reactions: LionNation540
Broad Run holds off Millbrook

ASHBURN — There's nothing easy about playoff football, especially when you have to go on the road and face the undefeated top team in the region.

And when you're trailing by 27 points in the second half, that doesn't make it easier.

Millbrook didn't crumble and put up a tough fight as the Northwestern District fourth-seeded Pioneers rallied to within 27-18 before eventually running out of time in a 34-26 loss against Broad Run.

The Spartans (11-0) will host the semifinals against the winner of Saturday's Loudoun Valley-Handley clash, while Millbrook finishes its season 7-4.

"I thought we played really well on defense, and I thought we played really well on offense in the second half," Millbrook coach Josh Haymore said. "I thought we played really well on offense in the first half, we just made a few mistakes. The good thing is our kids fought. We have a lot of kids coming back and the good thing is they saw how we want to play football. They left everything out on the field.

"To hold a team like that to 34 points, that's huge," Haymore added. "Every drive they had was a 10- or 15-play drive. They had to drive the ball."

Millbrook got the ball to open the game and on the third play got a 37-yard completion down to the Broad Run 29, but a fumble (the Pioneers' only turnover of the game) gave the ball to the Spartans.

Broad Run, playing without injured Wake Forest quarterback recruit Mitch Griffis, gambled on their first series and the Pioneers held and regained the ball at the Spartans 35. Millbrook then lost 11 yards on three plays and punted.

Broad Run took over at its 10 and mounted a 12-play, 90-yard drive that took nearly five minutes. David Hundley capped the march with a four-yard run to make it 7-0.

The Spartans, with sophomore Brett Griffis at the helm, would score on three straight drives of 60 yards or more to build up a 19-0 halftime lead.

Broad Run's second scoring drive went 85 yards in nine plays as Hundley broke loose though the Pioneers' defense and scored on a 40-yarder to make it 13-0.

With just over eight minutes remaining until half, the Spartans took over on their own 39-yard line and used 16 plays and more than six minutes to cover the distance. Brett Griffis scored on a keeper from eight yards out and it was 19-0 going into the break.

It only took the Spartans four plays and 48 yards on the opening drive of the second half to extend the lead. Hundley scored from four yards out, sending some of the very cold Pioneers fans to the exits.

But with their season on the line, the Pioneers finally found a spark on offense that would lead to three consecutive scoring drives.

Unable to run the ball, Millbrook put the ball in the hands of quarterback Kaden Buza. Three completions of more than 15 yards on the first second-half possession got the Pioneers rolling and Buza hit a streaking Diante Ball in stride down the middle of the field for a 28-yard touchdown strike to cut the deficit to 27-6.

After a defensive stop at the Broad Run 49, Buza and the offense went right to work. Jordan Jackson caught tosses of 16 and 17 yards before snaring a six-yard TD pass to make it 27-12 at the end of the third quarter.

After forcing Broad Run's only punt of the night, the Pioneers went 61 yards in three plays to inch closer. Buza found Jackson for a 20-yard completion and then hit Gavin Evosirch down the sideline for a 39-yard play to the Spartans' 2. Ball plowed it in and Millbrook trailed 27-18 with just under 10 minutes left.

Broad Run then stemmed the Pioneers' momentum with a back-breaking, 15-play, 85-yard drive that ate up more than six minutes off the clock. Hundley plunged in from two yards out to give the Spartans some breathing room at 34-18 with just 3:37 left on the clock.

The Pioneers again put together another impressive drive against one of the state's best defenses. Millbrook went 66 yards in 19 plays and got to within one score when Buza scored from one yard out. Evosirch's two-point conversion made it 34-26, but just 12 seconds remained.

Broad Run recovered the onside kick and ran out the clock.

"My dad coaches over at Stone Bridge so this was like a dream game for me," Evosirch said of the contest. "I've always wanted to play in one of these games against one of those teams. It just didn't end the way we wanted it to. If we'd played better in the first half who knows."

Evosirch, Millbrook's leading rusher on the season, was held to just 10 yards on six carries, but did have 48 yards on three catches. Buza completed 26 of 45 passes for 335 yards and two touchdowns. Jackson had 10 catches for 176 yards.

Brett Griffis completed an incredible 24 of 27 passes, including 16 in a row at one point, for 191 yards. Hundley rushed for 168 yards on 25 carries.

Reactions: Va434
Broad Run, playing without injured Wake Forest quarterback recruit Mitch Griffis ..

Didn't realize he didn't play.

I wonder what happen to the kid , I sounds like there still really good without him but at some point deep in playoffs there gonna need him especially if there playing a better defense like Louisa,ec glass, Salem, I think Louisa has the best defense in all 4a region check there numbers

Reactions: FoxesPride
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT