ADVERTISEMENT

Millbrook vs. Amherst

21base

VaPreps All District
Jun 1, 2006
Pretty tight until Millbrook just blows the roof off with nine sixth-inning runs. Conor Hartigan with five RBI in the inning. How about those freshmen (Simonelli included). 10-0 heading to the seventh.

These kids up in the Winchester/Stephens City area can play some ball! Good job Millbrook and Sherando.

This post was edited on 6/4 9:01 PM by 21base

The score ended up being 12-3. Millbrook is the real deal, hard to believe they are freshman. Amherst just could not get the bats going tonight. It was a really good game up until the 6th inning. Then our pitcher got a little shook up. Millbrook has one of the best defensive teams I have ever seen. It seemed wherever Amherst hit the ball it was directly to a Millbrook player and Millbrook hit in the openings. Just one of those things.

I just realized that Hanover is 4a, the defending AAA state champs, probably already been discussed here...led by UVA bound rhp Derek Casey, anything can happen in one baseball game though especially a 7 inning affair...

By now, the confidence level for both Millbrook and Sherando is sky high. Millbrook was ready to take on a highly-respected Amherst and rout the Lancers on their own field. They beat a 10-0 pitcher to boot. Sherando has been rolling and has won 15 of 18 since beginning with one win in its first four games. The Warriors have constantly been clutch in close games, beating Heritage 4-3 (region qualifier), Eastern View 1-0 (region opener) and Louisa 2-1 walk-off (state qualifier) in a span of seven days. Millbrook is just so deep everywhere (two seniors play in the field) and Sherando has received great leadership from its senior captains (Smallwood and Entsminger) and outstanding pitching from its No. 1 (Whitacre). Others (Stevenson and Fox come to mind) have had their moments too in the post season.

Whoever Hanover gets (or Grafton, for that matter) will put up a good fight. Here's hoping for Round 6 of Millbrook/Sherando.

This post was edited on 6/5 11:42 AM by 21base

The win over Amherst was impressive, the rest, meh, Louisa was middle of the pack in the JD with 6 district losses, Millbrook may be a year away because of the draw but I'd like to see them face Casey because I understand they can barrel it up... I think Hanover may be the best team in the state at any level especially with Stone Bridge's ace shut down for the year...

Millbrook definitely can barrel it up ... Keenan sprays it to all fields, Jaye is a solid gap hitter, the Hartigan brothers don't get any cheap hits and fly around the bases, Hendershot hits for power in the six-hole, Amos is a tough out at nine. I imagine they'll take the challenge of facing a guy like Casey and run with it. They just beat a pretty good one from Amherst.

Yeah, too bad about JB. Just wonder if he's really going to UNC?
wink.r191677.gif

Condolences Wikki. I was hoping to see Amherst vs Hanover.

You guys may recall me asking about the pitcher from Hanover last fall, after I had a chance meeting with him at the Hanover vs Hopewell football game. You identified him for me as Derrick Casey. He is a super nice kid. Humble, polite, just everything you would hope for in your own child.

Fortunately, we will all get to follow his college career up close as he plays for UVA.

I've enjoyed so much watching Lacy Waldrop from Thomas Dale during the WCWS. I don't know her, but I have a fond memory of watching her mow down our Lady Generals. Not fondly remembered because she beat us. Just fond remembrances of how incredibly talented she was.

I imagine there will be a few of Hanover's victims, that lost at the hand of Casey, that have the same mixed feelings. But, just the chance to witness talent like his is a special opportunity.

When's the last time ANY district in VHSL had a frosh get PoY for a boy's team sport? Kid must be pretty solid...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT