ADVERTISEMENT

MLB question

Hampton Roads 6

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Feb 22, 2003
should the commissioner of baseball change that call Jim Joyce made last nite that robbed the Detroit pitcher of a perfect game ?

on one hand I say no, on the other hand I say yes.

I saw replay and my first impression was that on 99.9 % of plays this close, the runner is always "out".

I say yes. But with that being said, I still can't believe the umpire ruled the runner safe. I saw a play yesterday much, much closer than the play in Detroit, and the umpire called runner out.
This is an opportunity for the commissioner to "make right a wrong". But as usual, the commissioner is gutless when it comes to making a decision. this is same guy that allowed Hank Aaron's HR record to be broken by that "juiced up" left fielder from out west.

So he revereses the on field decision and calls the play an out. Where does it end? What determines when a call shhould be overruled by the Commish and when shouldn't it?

Also, let's go back and examine all the one hitters that have ever been thrown and see if we can make them no-hitters. Let's examine all the near perfect games and see if we can find something to change those to perfectos as well.

Plays at first base get missed nightly. had this been a 10-1 game, we never would have heard about it. It deserves no more consideration than any other play. Thankfully, it won't be reversed.

There is some precedence

But just not much. From an article linked below by Rick Reilly (Sports Illustrated now with ESPN) similar things have happened but they're rare.

Oh no, does this mean I'm agreeing with HR6 on something? Ahhhh! Help me!

Too Short for a Column

Re: There is some precedence

what I can't understand is how did a major league umpire miss that call ? Compared to many calls a umpire has to make, that should have been a simple call. (to get right)

the commissioner should have had courage to change it and make it right. (if MLB even has a commissioner)

Re: There is some precedence

I have to disagree, baller. The writer doesn't realize is that the pine tar game was completed under protest. The rule was misapplied. That's why the game was replayed from the point of Brett's HR. A judgment call was not changed. There's no protesting a judgment call.

Fay Vincent's action on the no-hitters had nothing to do with on-field decisions.

HR6, two things led to the call being missed. #1, the umpire is looking at a straightlined runner, directly down the first base line. #2, an umpire listens for the pop of the glove. There's was no pop on this snow cone catch.

What we have not seen in the replays is a camera shot from the umpire's point of view. All the replays have been from the centerfield camera or the 1st base dugout camera. Those views are much better than the angle the umpire had. Had we seen a camera view from the right field corner, we would more accurately have an idea what the umpire saw.

It's not unusual for that call to be missed.

In any case, while I hate to see the call missed, I think the commissioner was correct is not changing the ruling.

I guess I'm blind too,

but from the replay angles I saw, I don't see where it's so conclusive that the guy is out. Even though Joyce admitted later after watching replay himself that he blew it, I'm thinking if they had use of replay in that situation, they may have even let the play stand. I think I'm in the greatest of minorities here, but like I said...guess I'm blind. I know we've seen plenty of NFL replays that held up a call we all thought would get reversed.

I am in the minority here also.That was close a play and after watching on replay, it was still unclear to me what all the fuss was about. The commissioner did the right thing in not overturning the call.

the commissioner once again showed that he is worthless as a commissioner. he should have overturned the call. for whatever reason the umpire missed the call. if it had been a closer play, maybe not. but the runner was out and compared to many plays t first base , it was even close enough to blow call

It's truly ridiculous to think that he should or was going to reverse an umpire's decision on a judgment call.

Judgement call?

Is there any call made during a baseball game that isn't a judgement call? You could say a flyout where it is clear the player caught the ball or a strikeout by swinging at three pitches.

Will this be what finally gets instant reply in MLB? If a similar blown call had been the deciding run in the World Series what would happen? Would that finally be enough to get the baseball purists to get out of the way and allow instant replay reviews for this type of call?

Re: Judgement call?

Originally posted by baller4Him:
Is there any call made during a baseball game that isn't a judgement call?

Sure there is. Any call that's made contrary to the rules would be a rule misapplication. Are they common? No, because the umpires know the rules of the game. But a play blown by an umpire because he misapplied a rule can be protested.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT