ADVERTISEMENT

My 2A East 1st Round Predictions

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
#16 Bruton vs #1 Riverheads
Briton comes in with just a 2-8 record as they play in the very tough Bay Rivers District where all the other schools are of higher classifications. Their best win was over a 7-3 Poquoson team back in September but they enter on a 4 game losing streak and now have to make the long bus ride to the Gladiators. Riverheads is coming off a hard fought ot win over a solid Luray team. Although many predicted a cakewalk win those two are big rivals and this game showed that. That could even serve as a wakeup call. Look for the Gladiators to come out and make a statement early in this one
Riverheads 49 Bruton 12

#9 King William vs #8 Strasburg
This game could be a virtual tossup. The Rams are coming off an emotional win over Central Woodstock. A team they hadn't beaten in 7 years. Behind qb Mark Smoot they have a formidable passing attack. Their weakness however has been stopping the run game and they've had several close wins over teams they probably should have beaten by more. KW enters at 8-2 but haven't had a close game all year. Their 8 wins have all been blowouts where in their two losses 35-0 to Essex and 32-14 to Washington & Lee they were on the receiving end. They do have a rb in Camajae Peatross who can make the Rams pay if their run defense isn't up to par. This game should be highly entertaining.
King William 36 Strasburg 22

#12 Amelia vs # 5 Nottoway
This is a rematch of an early season game won by Nottoway 24-0. The Cougars have put the entire state on notice with victories over Goochland, Buckingham and Lunenburg. Amelia has beaten the teams they've supposed to beat but have come up shorthanded against the tougher teams on their schedule. I don't see that changing here.
Nottoway 38 Amelia 6

#13 Nandua vs #4 Clarke County
Nandua opened some eyes early in the season with a win over Franklin but that has lost some luster now as the Broncos finished below .500. Clarke on the other hand has dominated everyone on the way to a 10-0 season with their closest win being 16 points over Strasburg. The Eagles will soon be tested but I think that comes in the next round and not here
Clarke County 49 Nandua 13

#11 Luray vs #6 Brunswick
This could be the best game of the first round. Luray comes in at 7-3 and coming off a tough ot loss to Riverheads. Playing in a tough district no doubt will have them battle tested. Brunswick comes in with an identical 7-3 record but winners of 7 straight. Last years state runners up were left for dead in September but a slew of injuries played a part in that. Now with everyone healthy including qb Darren Owens they will be a tough out for anyone. With a 47-0 victory over Sussex and a 21-20 win over previously unbeaten Surrey in recent weeks they look to make a return trip to Salem. I think Owens is the difference maker here.

Brunswick 28 Luray 13

#14 Buffalo Gap vs #3 Goochland
The Bison come in at 5-5 but haven't really been competitive in the games against quality opponents. The Bulldogs are perennial title contenders with loads of big game experience and that will pay huge dividends in this one. Look for Reid Chenault and Jordan Jefferson to get going early in this one.
Goochland 56 Buffalo Gap 7

#10 R.E. Lee vs #7 East Rockingham
Another game that I think could go either way. The Leemen come in winners of 6 of their last 7 and from what I've heard have the potential to compete with anyone. East Rockingham comes in at 8-2 with both losses to top teams in Wilson Memorial and Riverheads. Some thought they may be able to slide in and upset one of those two before the season started. That didn't happen but they are still a team on the rise. I think this one comes down to the wire.
East Rockingham 21 Lee 20

#15 Prince Edward vs #2 Wilson Memorial
The Eagles come in at 4-6 on the season. They've put up some points in a lot of their games even in defeat. However their defense has given up a lot as well. Wilson is 2 points away from being undefeated and have tons of playoff experience. With their great senior class wanting to finally get over the hump and make it to Salem look for them to take the first step here.
Wilson 63 Prince Edward 8

These are just my thoughts and predictions. Feel free to agree or disagree. Either way please feel free to comment. This is shaping up to be a great playoffs. Good luck to all teams and safe travels to all.

This post was edited on 11/8 3:35 PM by kwhs95fan

I think you are spot on with everything said. Lee has more speed and big line but they are prone to committing silly mistakes which may cost them vs ER...Strasburg will be tough to beat at Glenn Proctor Field. KW still has put up some big numbers but against quite weak teams.
Some stellar 2nd round games loom.

Yea the KW/Strasburg game is definitely a tough one to pick. Strasburg has had some close games with some weaker teams where as to their credit KW has blown out their weak opponents. Just went on a gut feeling on this one as I think Strasburgs strengths match KWs strengths and Strasburgs biggest weakness from what I can tell has been their run defense and KW has the athletes to exploit that. Either way I think it'll be a good game and you are right about the crowd because KW can't get rattled by the boisterous crowd.

Lee and East Rock lucked out in their match-up. Half an hour traveling time and a good match-up to boot. I honestly don't know who I would pick in that one.

Good previews here kwhs95fan, and I think you are pretty well spot on with everything.

Some of the games that look the most interesting to me would be King William/Strasburg, Luray/Brunswick, and Lee/East Rock. Luray has played everybody tough this yearr, even though some of the scores dont appear that way. I think Brunswick wins, but I'm curious to see how Luray plays them. As for KW/Strasburg, I'm leaning towards KW, but the 8/9 game always has the potential to be good. Lee/East Rock is a matchup that could go either way. I had said earlier that I think ER is a little more consistent, which I still believe, but if Lee is able to cut out the silly mistakes that have plagued them all year, they have a good shot, but once again, this is a winnable game for both teams.

kwhs95fan were you at this game?

I haven't seen King William since roughly 2000, when they traveled to Swoope to play Buffalo Gap High School in the state semi-final game. That game probably went down as a classic for KW fans, but as a local fan, it was awful to sit through! Cold, wet, sleeting, and a final score somewhere in the area of 44-0. I want to say that KW ran the singlewing or some kind of offense that isn't seen that often, but it sure was effective!

Did you happen to make that trip, years ago?

Re: kwhs95fan were you at this game?

Sorry I'm just seeing this. Yes I was at that game back in 2000. It was definitely a messy mixed bag that day. Back then KW ran a direct snap double wing. Our qb that year was our leading rusher with close to 2000 yards but that day it was our wing back who had over 200 yards against Gap. Our offense got most of the attention that year but it was our defense who was the key to winning it all that year. Far from the best team KW has ever had and actually started 0-2 that year but that was the best group has far as playing together we've had in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT