ADVERTISEMENT

My all-NWD picks

21base

VaPreps All District
Jun 1, 2006
I know the coaches vote on Wednesday. I don't have a say, obviously, but this is how I'd go with the first team all-Northwestern (Region II).

Pitchers: Bentley, Sherando and Entsminger, Sherando.
Catcher: Smallwood, Sherando
First Base: Angel, Sherando
Second Base: Carney, Sherando
Third Base: Rudolph, Handley (Not sure if he's played there much, but the Judges could make him a sure pick by placing him there).
Shortstop: Goode, James Wood
Outfield: Helmick, Skyline, Entsminger, Sherando and Hartigan, Millbrook
Designated Hitter: Hughes, Millbrook
Utility: Loudan, Sherando
Player at Large: Jaye, Millbrook

* I know it's Sherando-heavy, but, hey, the Warriors are not 12-0 in the NWD for nothing.
* Middle infield will be awful tough for the coaches to choose. At short, you've got Goode, Jaye, Loudan, and even Rutherford from Skyline. That's why I think they'll reward most all of these kids by placing them elsewhere. Loudan has pitched some (so that's why he should get utility) and Jaye also has pitched some and is a very dangerous hitter, too good to leave off the first team (heck, he still might get SS). Goode has improved so much and is the Colonels' best hope for a first-team slot.
* Second base, likewise, is deep. You've also got Repasky from James Wood and Keenan from Millbrook. But Carney is one of the most feared hitters in the NWD. No way he misses out on first-team.
*Third is down a bit this season. I like the freshman Burgreen from Millbrook and he likely will get something (maybe even first team). Can't think of anyone else at that position hitting well for average. I could be wrong, though.
* Pitching, you could make a case for Nawrocki of Millbrook, one of the most improved arms in the NWD. Even Sherando will probably get a third pitcher, Whitacre, on the second team. Barber has been decent at times for James Wood. Skyline's most consistent pitcher has been the sophomore, Burrola.
* Catcher. Everyone is playing for second-team. And the winner is (should be) ... Lins, from Handley.

I am eager to see how this plays out. I know I won't be 100 percent right about the first team. Maybe close, though. Good luck to all the players and congrats on your season.

I'm not even sure if this is worth commenting on because like you have already mentioned most positions you can name quite a few people. So I'm sure everyone's could be different. A good example is from what I've seen this year the only names on your list that you probably could get most people to agree with is Catcher, 2nd Base, and 1 of the pitchers that you listed. You will probably get several different lists with the rest of the positions. But whoever get's named to the 1st or 2nd team congratulations to them. But I did notice that you did not mentioned who would be the player of the year :)

I still like Smallwood. The only thing is, unless you're an odds-on, can't miss, then they usually want to go with a senior. So don't be surprised if Carney gets it. Very good left-handed bat who hits for average and can hit to all fields if needed. Glove is OK and his speed on the bases is above average. Again, good player headed to a DII school and if he get's it, good for him.

Really, you got to like how Entsminger has come into his own, too. He's pitched, he's hit, and he's one everyone around him looks up to. A good football player that has raised his level of play in another sport. Good for him.

I'm OK if the list is not full-proof for everyone. But if Bentley and Entsminger don't each get a first team nod from the bump, I'll be very surprised. Both are 6-0 with lights out ERAs and strikeouts-to-walks ratios high on the positive side.

Of course, two years ago NWD coaches selected two pitchers for first team that either had losing records or had pitched better in previous seasons. And, yes, ... they were seniors (most be the merit award sometimes).

Well you are right the coaches can sometimes surprise you a little especially when each coach only can vote for the other team's players. Which doesn't guarantee anything...

@21Base - After reading that Entsminger has an area best 0.45 ERA I have to agree it would be tough to keep him from being a 1st team selection.

All arms on deck

Entsminger is fun to watch pitch because he really has excellent command of the strike zone. He works both sides well, trusts his off-speed just as well as old No. 1, and he just keeps pounding inning after inning.

Remember, this team lost 17 of 19 wins from last season and Porter and Thompson were top-notch. But, a combined 13-0 out of Bentley and Entsminger? These kids compete!

Re: All arms on deck

And Whitacre would be the third pitcher on the list imo, only lost the 5 inning game to Spotswood this year. And he runs like a deer in Center field every game Entsminger pitches.

Re: All arms on deck

No doubt. And just think, Smallwood means so much to this team, obviously, that they don't feel comfortable taking him away from the dish even to pitch a few innings more or close. I think Smallwood has pitched in just two games and all he has done is go 2-0, give up one earned run ... and throw a PERFECT GAME.

Pitching should have been enough to win them a few games last season in the Region II playoffs. Now, since they are hitting all through the lineup, they finally might have the type of offensive team that can score a bunch and not put pressure on the pitchers to be near perfect every inning.

Good luck next week as the No. 1 seed in the Region II playoffs. Protect your home field, SHS.

@21Base - You were pretty close my friend
3dgrin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT