ADVERTISEMENT

My experiences with Referees

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
I assume that many, if not most, of the readers of this particular board, are, or have been, officials at some point.

Having stated that, I would like to share a couple of positive stories.

I had the good fortune to be asked to serve as the support person for the crew working a recent state semi-final football game. These gentlemen impressed me greatly from the time they arrived on site. All we're dressed as professionals, and conducted themselves as professionally as they appeared.

In fact, due to the weather, they expressed more concern for me and my comfort, than for themselves. I tried to be a good host, but constantly they tuned away my offers, and tried to accommodate me.

As game time neared, you could see their focus became "the game".

One example of their dedication comes directly from a member of the chain crew. I noticed the look on his face when he arrived, and I asked him if everything was ok? He stated his child had accidentally kicked him in the chin the night before, and he had a tooth cracked in half. His pain was tremendous. But, there he was, ready to do his job. And he did.

The head of the crew was as nice of a person as anyone I have ever meet. What a wonderful representative of what you men and women do.

I felt that it was important to stay out of the way as much as possible, so I never even got a name of anyone. I believe that they came from the Rappahannock region. If any of you happen to know any of this crew, please express my, and our community's, gratitude for their service to all high school sports. Heaven knows, you guys sure don't do what you do for the money. Anyone with a grain of sense knows that you do it for the kids. It probably would be a lot more gratifying for you, if all you had to deal with was the kids.

I didn't seriously consider joking with the crew, but I thought about saying, "if you have problems making a call, I was sure I could see what happened from 300ft away, better than you could standing next to the play" or, " that I was a self taught expert on the rules, and I would help explain why you got the call totally wrong". I'm sure that is what you guys have to put up with on a daily basis. Please know that the vast majority of us parents, fans, and coaches truly appreciate your dedication, and the sacrifices you make. You do what you do so our student-athletes can learn from, and enjoy, sports.

For all that you do, thank you.

This post was edited on 1/19 8:09 PM by DinwiddieProud

This post was edited on 1/19 8:12 PM by DinwiddieProud

Thanks for the kind words for our brethren in stripes.

I don't think most people here have officiated. It's a board for fans to ask rules questions, so hopefully it's not just a discussion among current and former officials.

In that semifinal, was the chain crew part from outside the area, along with the officials? I haven't run into that. I think the finals sites are responsible for getting chain crews for those games and they are often from the local association, but the semifinals I've been involved with have chain crews provided by the host school. That said, I feel for the guy with a broken tooth. I broke a molar on a Friday morning once and worked a football game that night. The game itself provided no more agony than I was already feeling. The whole weekend was horrible, but on Monday I got a root canal, which I always thought would be horrible but it was GREAT. It made the pain go away.

As far as being a support person, thank you for helping a crew. Going to a site and having competent, caring people there who make sure there is a place to park, the way to the locker room is clear, there are showers and towels, security is in place, the clock operators come talk to the crew, and a thousand little details are handled -- those people have just as thankless a job as officials, but when they (you) do it well, it is deeply appreciated.

Thank you for the kind words. I'm certainly nothing special, but I think it is really important to try to do things, and treat people, like you would hope to be treated. Does't matter if it's the CEO of the worlds biggest company, or the guy that cleans public toilets, I try to treat all with respect.

Certainly these game officials were there for all the right reasons, the least I could do was be a good host.

I am all but positive that the local association did not supply the chain crew. But, I will find out for sure from our AD.

And, I once had a root canal on Dec. 23. Best Christmas present I ever received. I understand.

A little background info on my particular situation. I had not been to a high school event of any kind since 1972, until a good friend's son began playing varsity football. About this time, the husband of a neighbor became the local HS varsity basketball coach. Cira 2006. Do I need to explain any further. I was hooked. I had the typical stereo-type opinion of high school kids. Man, was I wrong?

What I experienced was actually somewhat life altering. I found out that if you treated these kids with respect, and gave them the chance, they would amaze you. Are they all perfect...? Of course not. But, the world isn't. I was continuously impressed by their wit, their determination, and their desire to please.

I can honestly say that my experiences around these high school kids has lead me to try to be more supportive of my high school, and a better, more considerate person.

And the big picture for me, is to do what I personally can do, to help. If it means being the guy that helps the refs, go get ice for the concessions, watch a gate, or dump a trash can or two, that's what I try to do. The kids will never know me, but hopefully they will have a better athletic experience because of what myself, and a lot of other people do to help where they can.

That is the reason I was so impressed with the game officials. They were there for all the right reasons.

In 15 years on the bench, sideline and/or dugout, I never got a "T", a flag or an ejection. Came close a couple times.

1st Outstanding year !!!! As Retired Football Official of 19 years with RVFOA. "Rappahannock Valley Football Officials Assn. I can tell you the pre game is very important "A must have". This Assn. meets every Monday night starting in July goes over every page of rule book, Through out the season they meet on Monday nights go over plays, rules and film. They come to all Friday night games together and they bring a bag of gear with them to change into. Now I coach High School Football you do see things different on the sidelines as you do in the middle. I will pass this note on to them. Thank you for the Great Post.

Louisadad

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT