18. Dominion
19. Powhatan
20. Grafton
21. King's Fork
22. Smithfield
23. EC Glass
24. Courtland
25. George Washington

Honorable Mention: Liberty Christian, Loudoun Valley, John Champe, King George, Heritage (Leesburg), Pulaski County

Last edited:
1. Salem
2. Lake Taylor
3. Dinwiddie
4. William Byrd
5. Amherst County
6. Lafayette
7. Eastern View
8. Sherando
9. Monacan
10. Chancellor
11. Louisa County
12. Millbrook
13. Jefferson Forest
14. Charlottesville
15. Dominion
16. Heritage (Newport News)
17. Woodgrove
18. Pulaski County
19. Powhatan
20. Grafton
21. King's Fork
22. Smithfield
23. EC Glass
24. Courtland
25. George Washington

Honorable Mention: Liberty Christian, Loudoun Valley, John Champe, King George, Heritage (Leesburg)
I believe Blacksburg will be 4A this coming season. They probably belong in there somewhere.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
Good list. To chuck my own two cents in, I'd say Byrd's not going to be nearly that good (as discussed in another thread). I also have doubts about Amherst Co. being top five in the state, as I believe I read they'll be losing twenty-some seniors from 2016's team. I didn't think Millbrook was even a top twenty team in 4A this past season, so I'd be very surprised if the Pioneers made that much of an upward move. It will be interesting to see if JF improves that much. Finally, I look for Woodgrove to finish rated in the top ten.

I think you put together a good list. I would move a few around, but that is probably based more on recent history than any known facts about the teams next fall.

It's always a little tough ranking teams anyway. If you consider only power points, teams like Lafayette are almost always are going to end up near the very top. If you look at it strictly as the potential to make a deep run in the playoffs, then different teams tend to be rated higher.

But, it's fun to talk about, regardless. As time moves on, it will also be enjoyable to talk about the changes from realignment, the return to regions, and the different matchups brought about by the new scheduling cycle.

Good list. To chuck my own two cents in, I'd say Byrd's not going to be nearly that good (as discussed in another thread). I also have doubts about Amherst Co. being top five in the state, as I believe I read they'll be losing twenty-some seniors from 2016's team. I didn't think Millbrook was even a top twenty team in 4A this past season, so I'd be very surprised if the Pioneers made that much of an upward move. It will be interesting to see if JF improves that much. Finally, I look for Woodgrove to finish rated in the top ten.
Woodgrove loses a ton.

I think JF will actually be better than 15th.

Woodgrove loses a ton.

I think JF will actually be better than 15th.

I wasn't sure what Woodgrove has returning. They just seem to me to have established themselves as a good, solid program that's going to be in the mix, regardless of their personnel losses. The Wolverines have been more consistent than anyone in 4A North/West over the past four seasons, aside from Salem.

Just a little guesswork, to while away a winter's night.....

Is Woodgrove steadily growing each year? If I'm correct, how long before they move up to Division 5? (Trying to get used to using the new terminology).

I'm gonna say Chancellor is lower and Courtland moves up. Chancellor loses a lot including the HC...Courtland has most everyone returning from a "learning" year, right? EV re-enters the Battlefield so it should be an interesting season.

I'm gonna say Chancellor is lower and Courtland moves up. Chancellor loses a lot including the HC...Courtland has most everyone returning from a "learning" year, right? EV re-enters the Battlefield so it should be an interesting season.
I think EV may lose a game or two in the regular season but could possibly have a better team, if that makes sense.

Good list. To chuck my own two cents in, I'd say Byrd's not going to be nearly that good (as discussed in another thread). I also have doubts about Amherst Co. being top five in the state, as I believe I read they'll be losing twenty-some seniors from 2016's team. I didn't think Millbrook was even a top twenty team in 4A this past season, so I'd be very surprised if the Pioneers made that much of an upward move. It will be interesting to see if JF improves that much. Finally, I look for Woodgrove to finish rated in the top ten.[/QUOT
It is a preseason poll. Also Amherst will be fine

Amherst does graduate 28 Sr's, but they also had 20 Jr's and 23 Sophomores last year. I'm not sure about Top 5 in C4, but I think they should still have a pretty good year imo. There may be a precipitous dropoff after this year, but I think they'll be competitive to the regional level this year with the new playoff format.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I don't know if Salem should be number 1. Would be asking a lot to make four straight finals or three straight state championship s (though Salem did it in 98,99,2000). The Spartans have some big shoes to filespec orally at qb. I am hearing some positive rumors concerning Ramsey, but they are only rumors

Reactions: mike salem
Amherst does graduate 28 Sr's, but they also had 20 Jr's and 23 Sophomores last year. I'm not sure about Top 5 in C4, but I think they should still have a pretty good year imo. There may be a precipitous dropoff after this year, but I think they'll be competitive to the regional level this year with the new playoff format.
Definitely agree Mike. No bias at all but I definitely think that Danville should be somewhere in that top 10 (8-10 IMO) and move Amherst down a bit. Eagles return all but 3 starters on both sides of the ball. More than likely will be a top 5 seed come playoff time due to SOS.

And the QB is back

Courtland returns 18 and has some big freshman who will be sophs next year that will get lots of playing time. Cougars will be a 7-3 or 8-2 type team next year, but it is 2018 when they return to title contender status. They are dropping Ponax and Riverbend in 2017 and adding Eastern view and Stafford.

Well zi would move Millbrook up the list, feel pretty confident that the rumor is true . Unless something has changed in the last couple of weeks , they have gotten the West Virginia player of the year as a transfer from the state champion Martinsburg Bulldogs , instantly make them a contender , he will will move from WR to QB . Will be a one two punch between him and Smith on Offense. They will never get far in the playoffs without a defense though . That's the difference between Salem and everyone else people . Two things , Depth, and defense.

Well zi would move Millbrook up the list, feel pretty confident that the rumor is true . Unless something has changed in the last couple of weeks , they have gotten the West Virginia player of the year as a transfer from the state champion Martinsburg Bulldogs , instantly make them a contender , he will will move from WR to QB . Will be a one two punch between him and Smith on Offense. They will never get far in the playoffs without a defense though . That's the difference between Salem and everyone else people . Two things , Depth, and defense.
What's his name Hammy? The only guy I've heard of from Martinsburg is Tavis Lee.

Isaiah brown, he is a legit stud , wanted to play QB for his dawgs and transferred to Millbrook when he realized he wasn't going to get chance , because the dawgs already have d-1 - d-2 QB, so he came to Sherando first , it wasn't going to happen there because we have a great very solid young QB, and then settled on Millbrook because he wanted to play Qb and they can always use one so it is what it is. Ya see!?

The QB automatically makes Millbrook a contender because he is a exceptional athlete and combined with Savon Smith they make a offensive powerhouse, now the defense is another story .

Hey Hammy, did Sherando replace their horse this past season? I'm sure they did, but I don't recall you specifically saying so.

Woo
1. Salem
2. Lake Taylor
3. Dinwiddie
4. William Byrd
5. Amherst County
6. Blacksburg
7. Eastern View
8. Sherando
9. Monacan
10. Chancellor
11. Louisa County
12. Millbrook
13. Lafayette
14. Charlottesville
15. Jefferson Forest
16. Heritage (Newport News)
17. Woodgrove
18. Dominion
19. Powhatan
20. Grafton
21. King's Fork
22. Smithfield
23. EC Glass
24. Courtland
25. George Washington

Honorable Mention: Liberty Christian, Loudoun Valley, John Champe, King George, Heritage (Leesburg), Pulaski County
Woodgove is 5A

My fault, somebody told me they went up, guess I should have verified"

I think they were projected to be above the 5a threshold, if memory serves me correct. I see they came in at three students less than Sherando, which is the largest 4a school now.

Reactions: hamspear
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT