My Region 1A playoff projections

NND Sports Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 1, 2002
Essex vs Colonial Beach
Northumberland vs Westmoreland
West Point vs. Northampton
Lancaster vs. Rappahannock.

Unfortunately, all these matchups would be rematches of regular season games. Essex beat CB, Northumberland beat Westmoreland, WP beat Northampton and Rappahannock beat Lancaser. The closest of those four games was Rappahannock beating Lancaster 20-14. Essex beat CB 52-8, Northumberland beat Westmoreland 49-8, and WP beat Northampton 47-6

Seeds 2-5 could get a shake up if Rappahannock is to upset Northumberland in Friday's regular season finale

Reactions: Reecesdad
Does anyone in Region A have a legit path and a shot to beat Essex? Is their QB still injured, or will he be back for playoffs?

Not sure on the status of the Qb for Essex but I’d say both northumberland and Lancaster pose a threat. The main concern with Northumberland is their defense in my opinion.

I do believe that the Essex Lancaster score would have been much more lopsided if the Qb did not get hurt.

I haven’t seen any of the teams out east this year but Essex is the most adaptive team in 1A across the state. Year in and out they massage the offense and keep on trucking. Some years it’s RPO, sometimes smashmouth double wing. Tons of respect to them and I would guess they will find a way again with all due respect to the others you mentioned of course.

Solid predictions. Region A should be much more interesting with Northumberland and Lancaster having solid teams. Essex will definitely be tested early in the playoffs this year which I think can benefit them tremendously if they get deeper in the post season. Outside of King William, they didn't really face much comp until the State Semis against Riverheads last year.

Seems like it is but I'll ask anyways, are the top 8 guaranteed or if King & Queen wins to go 4-6 could they outpoint a 2-8 Westmoreland or a 2-7 Colonial Beach (assuming both lose)? Will CB play a 10th game? Did K&Q play a really week schedule to have 2 more wins than Westmoreland and yet have 12 fewer point. Maybe it's the loss to Eastern View that is the difference for Westmoreland. I think it's having played one less game that is helping CB. Just some thoughts. Have a good one!

Seems like it is but I'll ask anyways, are the top 8 guaranteed or if King & Queen wins to go 4-6 could they outpoint a 2-8 Westmoreland or a 2-7 Colonial Beach (assuming both lose)? Will CB play a 10th game? Did K&Q play a really week schedule to have 2 more wins than Westmoreland and yet have 12 fewer point. Maybe it's the loss to Eastern View that is the difference for Westmoreland. I think it's having played one less game that is helping CB. Just some thoughts. Have a good one!
The three wins by KQ were over 1 win Page Co, winless Charles City, and winless Middlesex.

If I'm not mistaken, Westmoreland has forfeited the remainder of the season.
That school has ISSUES with a capital I. My understanding is the Rappahannock officials association initially refused to take any assignments there this year due to admin not having enough control of bad behavior. (Believe it was this year, might have been last…)

That school has ISSUES with a capital I. My understanding is the Rappahannock officials association initially refused to take any assignments there this year due to admin not having enough control of bad behavior. (Believe it was this year, might have been last…)
It's crazy because all of their home games have been on Saturdays. Maybe there's truth to that.

Reactions: WP02alum
Issues? I have had no issues with the young men I coach and have coached the last 16 seasons at Westmoreland! Didn’t have any issues this spring when those young men made a run to states and lost in the finals was told by hotel, restaurants and many site staff at championship game how well mannered and polite my young men are. It has nothing to do with behavior problems it has to do with availability of refs for games that’s why the Thursday and Saturday games. To my knowledge to many players are injured and the roster was not large enough to make up the numbers. Are the declining numbers for football alarming yes as a former player at the school a long time ago it hurts not to see 40-50 young men geared up and ready to go but I believe that’s an issue many schools are facing just this season it has bit Westmoreland hard. The athletic staff is doing the best it can with what we have to work with be blessed you don’t have issues getting drivers for buses player shortages equipment shortages and so on. I can go on but it has nothing to do with behavior issues.

Respectfully, and I mean that genuinely, I believe you are incorrect. Not discounting your wonderful students and their exemplary behavior. Just saying I’ve heard the same thing from multiple Rappahannock association officials.

Respectfully, and I mean that genuinely, your post should have read Rapp. Association officials have concerns with Westmoreland behavior issues so to address that they want Westmoreland to play home games Thursday and Saturday. Not that school has issues with a capital I. I would tell you the same thing it has to do with availability our AD was late to the table to lock down refs and that’s what happens when officials now more than ever are in high demand.

So with Westmoreland forfeiting their season, does K&Q move into the playoffs now?

So with Westmoreland forfeiting their season, does K&Q move into the playoffs now?
I would hope that is how it works. In my opinion, that would be the fair thing to do. If Westmoreland stops their season and knows they wouldn't play in a playoff game, they shouldn't be given one and just forfeit it. I seem to recall several years ago in another classification a team getting a playoff spot and forfeiting in the first round. I thought then, that they shouldn't have gotten that spot since they weren't planning to play. Have a good one!

Reactions: kwhs95fan
It appears their forfeit of their final regular season game wouldn't affect their seeding in the playoffs and even on the day they announced the forfeit, one of their coaches posted that they were practicing... Sounds like they are just forfeiting a game that didn't have any bearing on their playoff spot... The only ones it really hurt was Essex Players, because they have only played 1 home game all season and it was supposed to be the Senior night for them. Not sure when an announcement will come out regarding Westmoreland and the Playoffs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT