ADVERTISEMENT

My takeaways from Week 2

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
I’ll start with our game. N. Stafford, coming in after an 0-10 season, in fact 1-19 in the last two seasons, was certainly not expected to be much of a challenge for the Generals. Boy, was I wrong. We all were. This was not your grandmother’s Wolverine team. Disciplined, well coached, and plenty of talent. And a QB with a cannon for an arm.
Those guys gave our guys a heck of a game. Dinwiddie stepped up in the second half, but a few more breaks going their way and N Stafford could have been 1-0 instead of 0-1.

Poor Hidden Valley, without scoring a point again, they gave up another 61 or 65 points, depending on which posting is correct. That’s possibly 155 points to none in just two weeks.

Phoebus defeating HSHS, though not stunning, did catch my eye. I’m sure there will be a ton of talk all week on Preps about that game. And HSHS better figure something out fast and in a hurry, they host Maury this coming week.

How about Mecklenburg beating Hopewell? Mecklenburg only won two games last year, and three in their inaugural season, and they beat Hopewell? Mecklenburg is probably a better team than last season, but this tells me that Hopewel’s problem go a little deeper than a few inexperienced linemen.

I see Botetourt and Magna Vista got back on the winning track after their unexpected loses last week.

Matoaca beating Warhill didn’t surprise me, but shutting them out did.

How about you, what caught YOUR eye?

Watch Hopewell and Mecklenburg game last night, yes Mecklenburg is much improved and Hopewell is good, the line didn't play bad it was the turnovers that killed Hopewell 2 fumbles and there best receive (cook) didn't play for some reason not sure. Hopewell had the ball with seconds in game and Mecklenburg defense made a good play. I do believe Hopewell will regroup and play better and win their share of games and Mecklenburg will win at least 7 or 8 games unless injures set in.

In my opinion two very good Class 4 teams Phoebus and Huguenot made strong statements and are front runners for regional titles. I was very shocked by Region C contender Tuscarora who lost to Independence. Seemed like a lot of normally sound teams struggled this weekend. Was it a full moon?

My week 2 take away is I have no idea what's gonna happen this season. Huguenot was impressive today but there were some areas of concern to me. Dinwiddie had a surprising tough game. Varina is a total mystery to me at the moment.

My week 2 take away is I have no idea what's gonna happen this season. Huguenot was impressive today but there were some areas of concern to me. Dinwiddie had a surprising tough game. Varina is a total mystery to me at the moment.
I’m with you. I’m not sure I’ve ever been as uncertain about so many teams like I am right now.

Salem may be 1-2 after Friday. They play Division 5 Fleming after playing division 5 Franklin County. Fleming has not allowed any points but they haven’t played much competition beating Hidden Valley 90-0 and Albermarle 55-0. Fleming is now led by former Salem QB Nick Leftwich. He was an assistant at Fleming and then head coach at Cave Spring I think just for one year before accepting the Fleming job after Fleming coach went back to Lynchburg to coach at EC Glass. Last year in his first year Fleming won 2 games in playoffs.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
CHUKNOW, tell us about your New Kent game. A win is a win, but from the score, it was a struggle.
What’s different this year. The Colonials were dominating these teams last season. Graduation hurt you guys?

Salem giving up 65 total points in the opening 2 weeks is a shocker.
Salem's defense hasn't looked up to snuff this year so far. Week 1, a starting LB was out with an injury. Even if he had played we weren't going to stop LCA. This past week a starting DL was out, as well a starting OL. To go a little deeper than that, I was counting the number of underclassmen on defense to start the game and there were 4 Soph and a Fresh. Beyond that, only 3 defensive starters were starters last year. The defense is just extremely inexperienced at this point, they will get better with more reps. Another issue I noticed early on is there are only 33 Varsity players right now. Depth could be an issue as the season goes along. On the flip side, injuries can actually help build depth by giving other guys opportunities to gain experience that will help down the road.

On the offensive side of the ball there are only 5 returning starters. So all total, only 8 returning starters. This team is inexperienced, but by the end of the year hopefully they'll have things clicking.

I thought of another thing to add. Putting #10 Jack Camper in on the DL around halftime dramatically improved Salem's defense. Getting # 34 Dontay Davis back will really help as well. It's always about finding the right puzzle pieces and finding out where to put them.

Last edited:
CHUKNOW, tell us about your New Kent game. A win is a win, but from the score, it was a struggle.
What’s different this year. The Colonials were dominating these teams last season. Graduation hurt you guys?
New Kent was picked in BRD as # 8 of 10 teams so it was surprising.

Salem's defense hasn't looked up to snuff this year so far. Week 1, a starting LB was out with an injury. Even if he had played we weren't going to stop LCA. This past week a starting DL was out, as well a starting OL. To go a little deeper than that, I was counting the number of underclassmen on defense to start the game and there were 4 Soph and a Fresh. Beyond that, only 3 defensive starters were starters last year. The defense is just extremely inexperienced at this point, they will get better with more reps. Another issue I noticed early on is there are only 33 Varsity players right now. Depth could be an issue as the season goes along. On the flip side, injuries can actually help build depth by giving other guys opportunities to gain experience that will help down the road.

On the offensive side of the ball there are only 5 returning starters. So in total, only 8 returning starters. This team is inexperienced, but by the end of the year hopefully they'll have things clicking.
Wow Mike, I can’t remember a year that Salem had that low a number of players. I would say 55-60 was a lean year for you guys. I guess it’s like everywhere else, the number of kids that choose the tough path of being a football player get smaller and smaller. Did you have a net loss as to transfers?

Game experience will work wonders for those kids. I know they are fundamentally sound if they have been in the program a few years, but knocking heads against a real opponent is entirely different than practicing against your own teammates. And historically the Salem team in week 10 is a heck of a lot better than the team in week 1.

I’ve found out the hard way that voting against Salem is like voting against a Brady led team. A sure fire way to lose your bet.

I think like most everywhere numbers are going down for participation. IDK if it's a temporary anomaly for Salem or if this is the new normal. A lot of things have affected this generation of football players and their families. Concussions and repetitive head trauma are better understood, the post COVID effect, rise of travel teams/AAU/specialization, and so many entertaining options pulling at their time. When we moved to Salem 20 years ago, it seemed like there were closer to 100 V/JV kids and now it has dwindled down to around 60 for V/JV. The difference from last year to this year seemed to have been a more dramatic drop, especially coming off a title appearance. But, it's been a gradual drop over time. Here are the numbers for each class in football:

Sr 15
Jr 13
So 12
Fr 21
8th ~30
7th ~30

I don't think there has been much change in the overall student enrollment. I have noticed more kids specializing in certain sports. Lacrosse seems more popular than it used to be. Football is tough and it's a big time commitment.

There are positive and negative ramifications for this, but in the near future there will be 3 new housing and apartment developments in Salem. That will add more residents, presumably more school aged children, and hopefully some interested in football. With the shift in demographics across the state Salem has actually dropped down the C4 list to be in the lower 1/3 of C4. Maybe these new developments will put Salem back in the middle to upper half of C4 enrollment.

Reactions: Amgis
I think like most everywhere numbers are going down for participation. IDK if it's a temporary anomaly for Salem or if this is the new normal. A lot of things have affected this generation of football players and their families. Concussions and repetitive head trauma are better understood, the post COVID effect, rise of travel teams/AAU/specialization, and so many entertaining options pulling at their time. When we moved to Salem 20 years ago, it seemed like there were closer to 100 V/JV kids and now it has dwindled down to around 60 for V/JV. The difference from last year to this year seemed to have been a more dramatic drop, especially coming off a title appearance. But, it's been a gradual drop over time. Here are the numbers for each class in football:

Sr 15
Jr 13
So 12
Fr 21
8th ~30
7th ~30

I don't think there has been much change in the overall student enrollment. I have noticed more kids specializing in certain sports. Lacrosse seems more popular than it used to be. Football is tough and it's a big time commitment.

There are positive and negative ramifications for this, but in the near future there will be 3 new housing and apartment developments in Salem. That will add more residents, presumably more school aged children, and hopefully some interested in football. With the shift in demographics across the state Salem has actually dropped down the C4 list to be in the lower 1/3 of C4. Maybe these new developments will put Salem back in the middle to upper half of C4 enrollment.
How Salem looking in transfer portal Mike?

I didn’t go to the game, I was at the Springers/Phantoms game but I watched a little online. The rotating 3 quarterbacks is absolutely insane to me and I think that is killing the offense!!! We did lose 7 starters on D but the offense returns almost all the skill players and several linemen. They might beat Nottoway this week but after that if there gonna rotate 3 guys at QB it’s going to be a long 7 games!

I guess the Coach is figuring that the three kids have uniquely different skill sets and by rotating them through he can put the defense on their heels.
I’m not a fan, but I’m not the Coach, so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. I like the consistent leadership of only one guy behind center, but admittedly, I’m just an old dinosaur.

Reactions: CHUKNOW

Sr 15
Jr 13
So 12
Fr 21
8th ~30
7th ~30

71 kids in 7, 8, 9, is encouraging. I’m hopping the concussion concerns are leveling out. It’s just a decision that informed parents have to make. Every year, a few, for their own beliefs, are going to have their child opt out of football. I’m ok with that. That’s a parent’s right and a personal choice. But, undoubtedly it’s going to have an impact on numbers.

The commitment to play football on a truly competitive basis in high school is just unreal. You are asking a kid to make football the central focus of his life outside of maybe faith and family. You have really got to want to play football to make that commitment.

And the things that compete for a kids time is unreal. I have tremendous admiration for the kids that stick with the football program in their high school years. It would be might easy to ring the bell and walk away.

Smithfield taking down Churchland after dismantling Norview last week. Smithfield is young, both sides of the ball. I expect them to take a few lumps this year but they are really looking promising. I haven't seen this much excitement on Turner Dr. since Dyrell Roberts and his his class was running through the BRD. Cautiously optimistic at this point. Sophomore QB has been outstanding and the defense has been lights out...

1. Mecklenburg over Hopewell is the biggest shocker to me. That may end up as the best Piedmont win all year, pending GW beats Glass. I saw Mecklenburg scrimmage Dan River a few years back and thought, DAMN if these kids are coached up, they could make some noise. Them and Amherst should be a good one this Friday.

2. I think a huge difference in the 757 and 804 POWERS this year. Phoebus, Oscar Smith, and Maury are playing with A LOT of swag (confidence) whereas Dinwiddie, Varina, Highland Springs have had some flat moments. The 757 are UP on us. Phoebus took HS to the shed, Indian River beat Varina and Smith mopped the floor with Herm. The 757 is looking really good right now.

3. Big shoutout to Linwood Johnson. He took so much criticism last year at Varina, many (even myself) questioned why would he leave to split time with the freshman.. I think he proved he’s a gamer this past Saturday afternoon. 5 TDs, 10 for 14 passing for 200+ yards. Huguenot is going to be a tough out come November man…

4. Huge games this week. Fleming at Salem, Hermitage at Varina, & GW at Glass are my top 3 in no particular order.

Hopewell definitely shot themselves over and over with turnovers caused by them they had 6 fumbled balls 4of which were caused by themselves... QB TATUM looked awesome when they were able to get him on the field threw a 50 yd pass on the run that a kid ended up fumbling that would have gave them the lead

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT