ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on the Dinwiddie-Warwick game

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
First, I would like to say that I had the chance to meet Dr Kellie Mason, the Principal at Warwick, as well as two members of her staff. Warwick High School is in good hands. Super nice folks and you just know when you talk to them that they are dedicated to what is important, which is doing what’s best for the kids. And the same thing can be said about Chad Smith the Warwick AD. Great people, all.

I was very impressed with how many Warwick fans made the trip to Dinwiddie. And they made their presence heard. Great job folks.

I was equally impressed with our fans. They support the Generals so well that you often forget how lucky we are to have so many attend our games. Thank you fans, you are great.

I’m sorry that both teams had to play on our muddy field. We keep hoping that the powers that be will find a way to have turf installed.

The Raiders are a scrappy bunch. The score is not indicative of how physical the game was. They fought hard. It was just Dinwiddie's day, today.

The Generals are the real deal. As I type this, it looks like our opponent at LU will be Kettle Run. KR will have their hands full with a speedy Dinwiddie team on a turf playing surface.

After the post game meeting concluded, many of the Dinwiddie players took off down the center of the field and did belly slides in the mud. Somebody has their work cut out trying to get those uniforms clean.

We had the greatest VHSL representative that has ever been employed by the League at our game today. Lora Bickley has been the glue that holds the VHSL together for 53 years. And still going strong. Lora is every AD’s “go to” person. We were blessed to have her at our game.

I would like to extend a special thanks to the various media representatives that took the time to come out and cover today’s game. We don’t get a lot of media interest down here in Dinwiddie, so we are very appreciative when we do.

We, the support staff, start every season with the same goal. We want every visitor to our stadium to have nothing less than a positive experience. Whether it be our own home fans, or the visitors that come to support their team. Even for a high school football game, it takes about 65 people, over and above the players and coaches to put on a game. We are blessed at Dinwiddie with the hardest working, most unselfish folks in the business. Most are regulars that have been in their positions for many years, and the result is a well oiled machine. I personal thank those folks and Dinwiddie Athletics for allowing me to be a part of the effort.

Hey, I left out something that must be mentioned. Coach Mills has always permitted former players to stand on the track behind the team during games. Our AD used the entire allotment of all access passes to give these former players the chance to be on the sideline. I can’t say enough about how vital this practice has been to the teams success all season. And today, it was especially true. The excitement and encouragement they bring is part of the 12th man factor that everyone likes to talk about.

Last edited:
First, I would like to say that I had the chance to meet Dr Kellie Mason, the Principal at Warwick, as well as two members of her staff. Warwick High School is in good hands. Super nice folks and you just know when you talk to them that they are dedicated to what is important, which is doing what’s best for the kids. And the same thing can be said about Chad Smith the Warwick AD. Great people, all.

I was very impressed with how many Warwick fans made the trip to Dinwiddie. And they made their presence heard. Great job folks.

I was equally impressed with our fans. They support the Generals so well that you often forget how lucky we are to have so many attend our games. Thank you fans, you are great.

I’m sorry that both teams had to play on our muddy field. We keep hoping that the powers that be will find a way to have turf installed.

The Raiders are a scrappy bunch. The score is not indicative of how physical the game was. They fought hard. It was just Dinwiddie's day, today.

The Generals are the real deal. As I type this, it looks like our opponent at LU will be Kettle Run. KR will have their hands full with a speedy Dinwiddie team on a turf playing surface.

After the post game meeting concluded, many of the Dinwiddie players took off down the center of the field and did belly slides in the mud. Somebody has their work cut out trying to get those uniforms clean.

We had the greatest VHSL representative that has ever been employed by the League at our game today. Lora Bickley has been the glue that holds the VHSL together for 53 years. And still going strong. Lora is every AD’s “go to” person. We were blessed to have her at our game.

I would like to extend a special thanks to the various media representatives that took the time to come out and cover today’s game. We don’t get a lot of media interest down here in Dinwiddie, so we are very appreciative when we do.

We, the support staff, start every season with the same goal. We want every visitor to our stadium to have nothing less than a positive experience. Whether it be our own home fans, or the visitors that come to support their team. Even for a high school football game, it takes about 65 people, over and above the players and coaches to put on a game. We are blessed at Dinwiddie with the hardest working, most unselfish folks in the business. Most are regulars that have been in their positions for many years, and the result is a well oiled machine. I personal thank those folks and Dinwiddie Athletics for allowing me to be a part of the effort.
Congrats on the win. I was there last week for the King George game. Was pulling for King George since they are a Battlefield school.

Good atmosphere there and people were friendly. Can't wait for you guys to get new visitors stands. Also, what's the story behind the press box not being centered as well as the stands on the home side? Looks like you could have more concrete with metal bleachers on the hillside near the field house. Was the field set up differently back in the day?

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Congrats on the win. I was there last week for the King George game. Was pulling for King George since they are a Battlefield school.

Good atmosphere there and people were friendly. Can't wait for you guys to get new visitors stands. Also, what's the story behind the press box not being centered as well as the stands on the home side? Looks like you could have more concrete with metal bleachers on the hillside near the field house. Was the field set up differently back in the day?
Thank you.

Yes sir, you are correct. The Baseball field was shoehorned in at one end in the early days. When they built a new baseball field elsewhere, they shifted the football field about 30 yards. LOL, kinda difficult to move a two story cinder block building, so that is why it’s on the 25 yard line.

And yes, we have plenty of room to add new bleachers and a new press box. It’s in the master plan, as well as replacing the visitors side bleachers, but how soon…? We just don’t know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT