7. LC Bird
8. Tuscaora
8. John Champe
9. Henrico
10. Varina

Next in: Lee Davis, Indian River, Hampton, Stafford

Last edited:
Reactions: WP02alum and OCBoy
Indian River lost to Kings Fork Friday Night. They play Oscar Smith Saturday, too.

Hampton lost a battle on Saturday to their BIG rival Phoebus Phantoms (Greatest Team Name!!)

Stone Bridge surely should be #1
Dismantled every team they have played this year with starters playing only three quarters in most games. The JV squad been playing opponents varsity teams tough every 4th quarter and sometimes longer.

Destroyed HS at 7v7 over the summer to win the JMU tournament. Actually went 40-2 winning every tournament they entered.

This is not last years team or the year before. If they had a kicker last year the final game goes down differently. Took a shank with under two mins for HS to repeat. The kicker this year is legit!

Herm needs to prove they can get there first as playoff football is a different beast. Just ask Massaponax!

Why did you revise it? Your first ranking was much better
Felt like I had to put another Nova team on there ex Tuscarora.. list looked like it had too much of a Richmond bias lol

Dismantled every team they have played this year with starters playing only three quarters in most games. The JV squad been playing opponents varsity teams tough every 4th quarter and sometimes longer.

Destroyed HS at 7v7 over the summer to win the JMU tournament. Actually went 40-2 winning every tournament they entered.

This is not last years team or the year before. If they had a kicker last year the final game goes down differently. Took a shank with under two mins for HS to repeat. The kicker this year is legit!

Herm needs to prove they can get there first as playoff football is a different beast. Just ask Massaponax!
I haven't seen Stone Bridge yet this year, but knowing that nearly all of last years team returned...add a real good pass game and a kicker!!! Wow is all I can say. They should win it this year!
Hermitage escaped HSHS in game 1. HS should have won that game... HS was the better team. Mistakes and penalties cost us in that game. They are much improved. HS's defense is better than last years and the offense is just about as good as last year (with a little ways to go).. We have new faces everywhere and there is great talent everywhere on the team too. If we do meet Hermitage again (and I think we will), HSHS will win the playoff matchup! Hermitage doesn't have the firepower to outscore the Springers. IF HS and Stone Bridge should meet again in the Championship game, I do think this year is the Bulldog's year. BUT... The future for HS is incredibly strong!!!! This year's team is loaded with Juniors and Sophomores!!! Nearly all of this years team will return the next 2 years straight.
After this year, y'all are all in trouble!!! The State Championships will have to go through Highland Springs!!!!
Go Springers!!
Note: This past summer's 7x7... HS's Varsity QB that played in all of those games, is the backup on the team!!!
There was a tough QB competition at HS for that spot. The other one won the starting job!!
D'Vonte Waller is the "passing" QB, David Laney is the "runner". Waller is a Junior, Laney is a Sophomore.

Herm needs to prove they can get there first as playoff football is a different beast. Just ask Massaponax![/QUO

BigTate73 I'm sorry but Stone Bridge didn't play HS Varsity at JMU that was actually our JV squad. Varsity was at another 7on7 at the time. So if you happy with destroying incoming 9th and a couple of 10th graders..Congrats to yall because the game was tight until towards end of 2nd half, JV still finished in top 5 at JMU with all varsity teams!! Stop with the woulda coulda shoulda, we won both games shank or not thats a part of the game and we came out on top both times. We are not the same team from past 2 years either but good luck to yall and hope its part 3 to come.

Last edited:
VT I'm speaking in fact, your team last year wasn't as good as the year before and this year isn't as good as last. We have a much better team than both the previous two years. Might even give your first ring team a game although I do give them props for possibly being the best team in the State I have ever seen live. If you are being honest that game last year came down to a shank. You got a repeat which is an indisputable fact but plays matter and with under 90 seconds not having a legit kicker hurt us. I'm glad that isn't the case this year. Get past Herm and us North Stafford and we'll see you in Hampton to play 3!

Reactions: sbbulldogs
VT I'm speaking in fact, your team last year wasn't as good as the year before and this year isn't as good as last. We have a much better team than both the previous two years. Might even give your first ring team a game although I do give them props for possibly being the best team in the State I have ever seen live. If you are being honest that game last year came down to a shank. You got a repeat which is an indisputable fact but plays matter and with under 90 seconds not having a legit kicker hurt us. I'm glad that isn't the case this year. Get past Herm and us North Stafford and we'll see you in Hampton to play 3!
If you think this team isn't as good as last year then that's your opinion but like I said SB didn't play our varsity at JMU that was our JV. Plus to be playing only 4 seniors, a bunch of 10th/11th graders and 2 freshmen, who is only giving up 8pts/game defensively and scoring 34pts/game, dont think they too far behind the past 2 state championship teams. Good Luck to yall again and hope we both take care of business so its part 3 because clearly you talking as a fan but everybody knows yall dont play no defense in NOVA its evident in weekly scores even if its your 2nd or 3rd team getting scored on, thats means no depth after starters come out but hey what do I know....Have a great day!!

Let me just say that in 5A the top 5 or 6 teams can beat the other on any given Friday night. No one is leagues above the pack in my opinion.
Exactly mbonpage1....thats why we (Springers) taking it one game at a time, focus on what we do not anyone else and leave the talking to the fans. Just had to say what I said above cause some I think have forgotten its a new year for everyone and all teams are not the same team as year b4 them but we are still 2X 5A state champs for a reason until someone beats us. 5A plays the best ball in this state and I'm a Florida native who would put alot of 5A teams against any team in nation.

HS destroyed North Stafford in this years preseason scrimmage 42-14.

North Stafford has a couple tough games left and will be interesting how they fare against Colonial Forge to end the season but I can't see any team besides Massaponax giving them a scare in the 5A D region. They should've beaten Ponax if not for dumb pentalties in the 4th quarter.

Did they run D.Ford a lot in the scrimmage?

North Stafford has a couple tough games left and will be interesting how they fare against Colonial Forge to end the season but I can't see any team besides Massaponax giving them a scare in the 5A D region. They should've beaten Ponax if not for dumb pentalties in the 4th quarter.

Yes. Our defense shut him down! Our defense is much faster than last year. They are clearly a cut or 2 better than last year.

Exactly mbonpage1....thats why we (Springers) taking it one game at a time, focus on what we do not anyone else and leave the talking to the fans. Just had to say what I said above cause some I think have forgotten its a new year for everyone and all teams are not the same team as year b4 them but we are still 2X 5A state champs for a reason until someone beats us. 5A plays the best ball in this state and I'm a Florida native who would put alot of 5A teams against any team in nation.

Very well said, and don't get too upset with people throwing rocks at the throne... that comes with the territory! You got the belt until someone takes it from you. Good luck the rest of the way! You know I will be pulling for the 804 representer in 5A NO QUESTION!

Make sure you handle business against Varina bc I think that is a trap game for you guys especially bc they just lost to Henrico.

Very well said, and don't get too upset with people throwing rocks at the throne... that comes with the territory! You got the belt until someone takes it from you. Good luck the rest of the way! You know I will be pulling for the 804 representer in 5A NO QUESTION!

Make sure you handle business against Varina bc I think that is a trap game for you guys especially bc they just lost to Henrico.
I understand that Varina was missing a few key players Friday night. HS will be focused this week and the rest of the way....

Yeah we know when you on top thats when any and all things are thrown your way. Never upset over it but some folks getting a lil too over confident or might I say cocky and regular season aint done yet...LOL...but we learned last year to not take no team or no body lightly after that loss to Meadowbrook so we RESPECT ALL FEAR NONE!!

Indian River lost to Kings Fork Friday Night. They play Oscar Smith Saturday, too.

Hampton lost a battle on Saturday to their BIG rival Phoebus Phantoms (Greatest Team Name!!)
(Two I like NiteZ are "the Harrisonburg Blue Streaks" and the "Churchland Truckers")

Reactions: mbonape1
There's a good story behind the Fluco. I forget the details but I think it had to do with having a great track team back in the day. They looked like they were "flying", hence the nickname. Plus it's just Fluvanna County shortened into Fluco.

Reactions: springer76

Massaponax is not the Massaponax Of the last few years. Lots of young guys (Freahmen) starting on both sides of ball. Played perfectly, and got every break first time they played North Stafford. No one in 5D is going to come close to North Stafford, easiest path to state semi-final to me.

Wrong! Good game but we took a knee to win the game on their 7 yard line. That's not almost getting beat...regardless of the score.

Was closer than I expected but hey survive and advance @BigTate73 a win is a win especially against a quality opponent.

There are 10 really good 5a teams in the state! The playoffs are going to be crazy

Surely closer than most expected including myself but they came to play at home and after the refs decided to flag both teams over and over and over to simply kill drives we had to rely on solid defensive play to walk away with the W. Tuscarora proved to be legit and good chance we see them again in second round of playoffs.

Wrong! Good game but we took a knee to win the game on their 7 yard line. That's not almost getting beat...regardless of the score.
IMO being behind 13-8 midway through the 4th quarter then taking a 14-13 lead with 4 minutes or so remaining, leaving enough time for the other team to score, you almost got beat!!! Just like last year in the State Championship game, if you remember, SB takes the lead 29-28 with 1:20 seconds left in the 4th quarter. I thought, the celebrating "other side" thought the game was won by Stone Bridge! What happened?.....Highland Springs ALMOST GOT BEAT! 35-29 HSHS BACK 2 BACK STATE CHAMPS!
It happens!
I guarantee you that Hermitage and Highland Springs have defenses that can stymie that single wing offense and dare you to beat either one passing the ball!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT