ADVERTISEMENT

Northside Suspends Season

I find it odd that so few have posted anything about the Northside suspension of season due to the covid cases after the Franklin County game. There was such an uproar in the Roanoke area to play high school sports with football leading the pack. This may be the only such case we will see and I hope it is. I also hope the staff member and players recover. But now do you see why the people in charge were so cautious and how this disease can rear its ugly head. That teams players and coaches must now quarantine. Subs will have to be found unless the coaches can continue to teach from home via zoom. Playing sports is not as easy as some would have us believe.

I find it odd that so few have posted anything about the Northside suspension of season due to the covid cases after the Franklin County game. There was such an uproar in the Roanoke area to play high school sports with football leading the pack. This may be the only such case we will see and I hope it is. I also hope the staff member and players recover. But now do you see why the people in charge were so cautious and how this disease can rear its ugly head. That teams players and coaches must now quarantine. Subs will have to be found unless the coaches can continue to teach from home via zoom. Playing sports is not as easy as some would have us believe.

I am sorry for the disruption and of course wish them all the best.

Is there any reason to believe that these folks would not have contracted covid if there were no sports? The rate of incidence among those participating seems far lower than the general population.

I am sorry for the disruption and of course wish them all the best.

Is there any reason to believe that these folks would not have contracted covid if there were no sports? The rate of incidence among those participating seems far lower than the general population.
Look at the difficulties that professional and college teams have had trying to put on a season. Think about the financial resources they have access to in order to do this. Most high schools especially in this part of the state dont have those resources. The safety of all has to be the top priority if we try and play sports now. No one misses high school sports anymore than I do but we have to be careful.

Shame for those kids!
Give them a chance to play is my opinion. \
Cancelling sports does automatically protect them or the coaches. They still have lives they live outside of the sport.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Look at the difficulties that professional and college teams have had trying to put on a season. Think about the financial resources they have access to in order to do this. Most high schools especially in this part of the state dont have those resources. The safety of all has to be the top priority if we try and play sports now. No one misses high school sports anymore than I do but we have to be careful.

I'd say shutting down for 14 days is more than sufficiently careful.

Reactions: Mike777VSP
Or not leaving our houses at all would even be more careful. At what point do you start to try to get back to living your life.
When I determine it is safe using scientific facts and my good common sense. Playing kids games is not a life. It is just part of it.

When YOU determine. That's fine for you and how you choose to live YOUR life.
This year IS a big deal for these seniors, it is a big part of their lives. It's a huge part of us, as their parents to see them competing one last year.
I'm still looking for the science that says there should be open bleachers sitting at these games. I'm closer more people at the local gas pumps! This 250 rule is absurd at outside fields. AT LEAST let parents into all home games and Parents of seniors in to all away games.
Our school system has been open since August. Occasional cases have come up but nothing to shut the school down over.

When YOU determine. That's fine for you and how you choose to live YOUR life.
This year IS a big deal for these seniors, it is a big part of their lives. It's a huge part of us, as their parents to see them competing one last year.
I'm still looking for the science that says there should be open bleachers sitting at these games. I'm closer more people at the local gas pumps! This 250 rule is absurd at outside fields. AT LEAST let parents into all home games and Parents of seniors in to all away games.
Our school system has been open since August. Occasional cases have come up but nothing to shut the school down over.
And good for you Bob !!!!!

I believe it was something like 38 out of 50 states played football in the fall and we did not hear any news about large team wide transmission and I am pretty sure the media would have jumped all over it if there was. The state I grew up in is high school football crazy and they played in the fall. My high school played 12 games from the end of August to late November and did not have one case among the staff or players and more so none of the teams that they played had any issues. On top of that, they have now played 21 basketball games and the only cancellations have been due to weather.

I believe it was something like 38 out of 50 states played football in the fall and we did not hear any news about large team wide transmission and I am pretty sure the media would have jumped all over it if there was.
I heard 36 but.....
Exactly!!!!! Yet our state run by ..... , the kids had to sit by and watch, knowing that football was happening in other states. Now it shortens not just this season but also the season for kids who play a spring sport. My son missed his whole junior season of soccer (the media had everyone scared to leave their house at that point), now gets an abbreviated football season and will have a very short senior soccer season. All those experiences lost for him and memories of him competing that I'll never get.

People, you need to wake up. A vaccine passport..for a virus that 99% of people recover from? And that isn't even including the fact that car accident victims, cancer deaths, and run of the mill flu deaths were added in to the death total for this. If people want the vaccine, fine. But I will refuse it.

Neither side wants to hear the other side. WE ARE JUST REPEATING WHAT WE WANT TO HEAR. I will put my trust in the medical community and this will be my last post on this subject. God almighty help this country.

To me, it's this simple. Lift all mandatory restrictions. Allow the people to make decisions for themselves, as to how and when they put themselves at exposure. Allow parents to make that same decision for their children.

The concept of "self rule" at it's core. Why is this such a bad idea?

Reactions: Rev_Real and PQMM
To me, it's this simple. Lift all mandatory restrictions. Allow the people to make decisions for themselves, as to how and when they put themselves at exposure. Allow parents to make that same decision for their children.

The concept of "self rule" at it's core. Why is this such a bad idea?

Because as I've said in other posts, this about control. Always has been. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: Rev_Real
The churches weren't closed in Virginia very long at all. By the government, anyway. Churches themselves stayed closed much longer. Mid-March to Mid-May. That's it.

I said I would not reply again to this thread but what the hell. My "side". I voted Republican and sure as hell did not cheer on looting and rioting. Unlike so many Republican voters I defer to people who know what they are talking about and not people who simply yell their opinions out as if they are facts !!

Reactions: schoolboard
VT has had to cancel last two mens basketball games due to Covid. Also see that EC Glass and Jefferson Forest football games have been postponed along with all football activities at one of those schools.

I said I would not reply again to this thread but what the hell. My "side". I voted Republican and sure as hell did not cheer on looting and rioting. Unlike so many Republican voters I defer to people who know what they are talking about and not people who simply yell their opinions out as if they are facts !!
You have your opinion and that's fine. No need to have went where the one person went with it. Might not agree with ya but that's OK.
Praying we can get through the season without problems but am glad my son is getting the chance at his senior year.

"I defer to people who know what they are talking about"....You mean the ones who said that the looting and rioting were ok? Don't think we'll ever forget that. And I'll continue to remind people like yourself and schoolboard about how the medical community blatantly encouraged all of that at the time...even if the powers that be want to keep censoring me.

Reactions: Mike777VSP
The medical community never endorsed looting and rioting. I think they actually feared large gatherings for the protests would increase community spread, but probably were not vocal about it because it was hard to do that and remain politically correct. There really is no pleasing you, though. I advocated for more in-person schooling since September. I actually have been teaching in person, since September. Announcing sporting events, since they started. And now coaching, in person, before my season even starts. I fully wish the Governor would raise the outdoor sport seating for high school sports. But somehow, you feel the need to attack me by name like I am some type of AOC liberal who wants all the schools closed for the safety of the children.

Oh gosh I could never accuse you of that. She panders to the twenty somethings anyway and I have a feeling you're out of that age range, as am I...and drifting further and further away from it lol.

I don't think doctors should have to wear masks or wash their hands. Masks have issues too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT