ADVERTISEMENT

Note to coaches about scrimmages...

Virginia HS Football Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 8, 2001
I attended a scrimmage last night. I won't state which one I attended as I watched about forty minutes of it and left out of frustration. It was a scrimmage between two Class 4 teams; hence, I am posting on this board.

This is a Ted Talk type rant, so if you're not into these things, stop now.

However, coaches must go over the scrimmage format with the opposing coaching staffs and officials beforehand. The coaches should also go over the scrimmage format with their players so they know what's going to happen and where to be when it's time for them to step onto the field. Don't make things up as you go. And please have enough chain crew to work the scrimmage.

Also, make sure you know which players are on First/Second Team Offense/Defense beforehand instead of just subbing players out just for the sake of it. Or, if you're going to do this, let the players know that they may be subbed at anytime and need to be ready to step onto the field.

The scrimmages should be streamlined and they should flow. Plus, it makes a school look like they have no clue what they are doing if there are visiting fans driving a good distance to attend.

Some may disagree with my rant stating that it's preseason for everyone. But if you have non-first year coaches (who have had success in the past) running the show, you should have a better grasp on how to conduct things.

But this is scrimmage week and next week is a week of benefit games so at least that will be worth watching. Don't forget, the games next week only benefit the VHSL! They can sit back and collect the gate receipts while doing absolutely nothing in return.

I just hope that next week's games are more palatable compared to train wreck I witnessed last night.

I attended a scrimmage last night. I won't state which one I attended as I watched about forty minutes of it and left out of frustration. It was a scrimmage between two Class 4 teams; hence, I am posting on this board.

However, coaches must go over the scrimmage format with the opposing coaching staffs and officials beforehand. The coaches should also go over the scrimmage format with their players so they know what's going to happen and where to be when it's time for them to step onto the field. Don't make things up as you go. And please have enough chain crew to work the scrimmage.

Also, make sure you know which players are on First/Second Team Offense/Defense beforehand instead of just subbing players out just for the sake of it. Or, if you're going to do this, let the players know that they may be subbed at anytime and need to be ready to step onto the field.

The scrimmages should be streamlined and they should flow. Plus, it makes a school look like they have no clue what they are doing if there are visiting fans driving a good distance to attend.

Some may disagree with my rant stating that it's preseason for everyone. But if you have non-first year coaches (who have had success in the past) running the show, you should have a better grasp on how to conduct things.

But this is scrimmage week and next week is a week of benefit games so at least that will be worth watching. Don't forget, the games next week only benefit the VHSL! They can sit back and collect the gate receipts while doing absolutely nothing in return.

I just hope that next week's games are more palatable compared to train wreck I witnessed last night.
I was always told benefit game proceeds are split equally three ways between both teams and VHSL and home team gets to keep concession money.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
I agree with this mostly. To add some context, a lot of coaches will meet with the other coach after every "period" and discuss should they move on as scheduled or modify depending how they think their teams are looking. Mainly they are just trying to avoid injuries.

Watching scrimmages is painful to me, but necessary so I can learn the names for announcing. Everything gets exciting when the coaches shout out "game conditions" That is when it gets good.

A change is not gonna come.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT