ADVERTISEMENT

Official Playoff Pairings

Well that didn't go the way I thought it would. Apparently the rule is different than we all thought it would be ruled. I need some explanations, even though it worked in our favor this time,

Don't quite understand this part

*Tie Breaker Riverheads beat out Essex in the ratings using tie‐breaker (d) a team that played an opponent with an effective nine‐game schedule

Don't quite understand this part

*Tie Breaker Riverheads beat out Essex in the ratings using tie‐breaker (d) a team that played an opponent with an effective nine‐game schedule

I think that they may have gotten it backwards because Essex is the one who played a team with nine games, not Riverheads

ETA: VHSL is looking into this already

Modification is forthcoming.

Essex is the #1 and Riverheads is the #2.

I think that they may have gotten it backwards because Essex is the one who played a team with nine games, not Riverheads

ETA: VHSL is looking into this already

No wonder after browsing Riverheads schedule numerous times i couldn't find that 9 game team.

Covington plays Greenbriar ,WV and they don't get points for that game. How is that different?

Never mind, I guess they play 11 games.

Sorry RedPrideNation but you are wrong about Covington. Look at the ratings that have been posted. Covington received points for all 10 games they played. Greenbrier is a public out-of-state school

Gotcha, still sucks for whoever gets the short straw in this. I am more pissed about the VHSL putting something out that is flawed. Should have waited until tomorrow if need be to get it right the first time. Of course I have come to expect nothing less from that org.

So Colonial Beach screws Essex out of the one seed and Northumberland out of playoffs. Vhsl has gone to crap they screwed 1a wrestling last year and now football. And before everyone gives me the whole private school out of state game, a regular season game played is a game played. They knew before the season started that it wouldn't count so, they should have played another team or, played another team. They beat Northumberland yes but, Northumberland had a better record, and if the loss had been added would have knocked them out of the playoffs not to metion got blown out by Essex.

I just don't understand what's taking them so long to update the correction. Did they all leave the office once they put out the original pairings????

So Colonial Beach screws Essex out of the one seed and Northumberland out of playoffs. Vhsl has gone to crap they screwed 1a wrestling last year and now football. And before everyone gives me the whole private school out of state game, a regular season game played is a game played. They knew before the season started that it wouldn't count so, they should have played another team or, played another team. They beat Northumberland yes but, Northumberland had a better record, and if the loss had been added would have knocked them out of the playoffs not to metion got blown out by Essex.
Northumberland should have won more games. They lost to Mathews and middlesex, they don't deserve to be in, stop crying.

Northumberland should have won more games. They lost to Mathews and middlesex, they don't deserve to be in, stop crying.

I'm not crying i'm saying a 4-6 team that had a better record and scored more than Colonial Beach should be in. The Northumberland team had injuries during that period and were a completly different team. They knew that game wouldn't count they should have made a change. End of this

This is my first time today checking in on this subject. So am I understanding now that Riverheads has been the number one seed about 23 times since Friday night and Essex has been the number one about 22 times, and that they still have not completely figured it out? I am being sarcastic of course but it should not be that complicated. Is it FINALLY 100% going to be Essex?

I hope Essex gets their way and we end up with some blockbuster Thanksgiving weekend match ups!

I'm not crying i'm saying a 4-6 team that had a better record and scored more than Colonial Beach should be in. The Northumberland team had injuries during that period and were a completly different team. They knew that game wouldn't count they should have made a change. End of this

If Northumberland would have beaten Colonial Beach then you might have an argument. You are arguing that Northumberland should get in over a team they lost to - sounds like crying to me. Solution - win more games and beat the team you are fighting with for a playoff berth.

Honestly Northumberland should argue more over Lancaster making it instead of CB since Northumberland actually beat Lancaster but lost to CB

Not many Essex fans weighing in on this, just sitting back and waiting to see if we look to Middlesex/Luray or Altavista/Rappahannock after the Bye. We Really don't care what the decision is, doesn't matter us, we have been #1 the past three years, and finished as State Runner Up. Figure it out, get it straight, finalize it, and let the road to the playoffs begin. We would love to play Altavista again, but that's all good. As far as the State Semi game (where this seed makes a different) we aren't allowed to host anyway, so either way, we will travel. The Rules are the rules, we didn't make them, Riverheads controlled their schedule and Essex fell to a 3A team. The whole "if this team wins and this team loses" to adjust the seeding is the point system. There was a thread a while back about creating power schedules, don't blame good team for scheduling competition, that's how Lancaster was 5-0...... How did that turn out when thy played real competition. Now, Northumberland is a better team. Rappahannock hosting Altavista is going to be a great game to take in. W&L will do well hosting Rockingham. Let's hope that VHSL GETS IT RIGHT and we can get teams ready for Friday!

I have seen a couple of references to Essex indicating that they would have to "travel anyway" in the semi-final round. I remember from years past that this has something to do with their facilities not meeting VHSL standards. But wouldn't they simply "borrow" a nearby stadium that did suit? Surely if they advanced to play, let's say J I Burton, which is a wild thought anyway, the VHSL certainly would not make them play AT Burton, would they?

I have seen a couple of references to Essex indicating that they would have to "travel anyway" in the semi-final round. I remember from years past that this has something to do with their facilities not meeting VHSL standards. But wouldn't they simply "borrow" a nearby stadium that did suit? Surely if they advanced to play, let's say J I Burton, which is a wild thought anyway, the VHSL certainly would not make them play AT Burton, would they?
Last year when Essex "hosted" the state semifinals it was at King William which is about 25 minutes away. Not sure what will happen if it comes to that this year. A couple of games to be played before can even worry about that.

Most 1A facilities cannot meet the VHSL requirements to host. But as someone said, there is a lot of football to play before "borrowing" a stadium. However, I don't see it being played at KW if it comes to that

kw - no, Essex would not become the Away team in the bracket; they'd just have to find a "nearby" place to play.
When Grundy "hosted" Salem back around 98, we had to travel over an hour to Tazewell because our stadium didn't pass muster because of the seating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT