ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating statewide

HooSprings

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 13, 2018
it seems,from reading all the boards,that the officials statewide,for all the semis,was atrocious. These comments are coming from the winning teams AND the losing teams. I’d expect it from the losing sides,but the winning sides have been EXPRESSFULLY critical of it. These are supposed to be the best the state has to offer. I’m hoping it doesn’t become a trend of the future(next year). It REALLY has to be better for this weekend than it was for the semis. Any thoughts?!

it seems,from reading all the boards,that the officials statewide,for all the semis,was atrocious. These comments are coming from the winning teams AND the losing teams. I’d expect it from the losing sides,but the winning sides have been EXPRESSFULLY critical of it. These are supposed to be the best the state has to offer. I’m hoping it doesn’t become a trend of the future(next year). It REALLY has to be better for this weekend than it was for the semis. Any thoughts?!
There was nothing wrong with the Class 6 Region C-D semifinal officiating. I have had the pleasure of working with many of these crews numerous times over the past years and, for the most part, they are good crews.

General comment: Perhaps what others are referring to are the opinions of a few disgruntled, "arm-chair" officials who either don't fully understand the rules as they apply to high school, or perhaps they sit so far from the action they miss something? Additionally, don't fault the officials if they miss a call now and then. There are dozens of potential places to look on any given play and sometimes things just get missed.

The officials are, for the most part, only doing this out of a love of the game and a desire to help the kids. Give them a break. Without those few who do give of their time, we wouldn't have the privilege of even seeing these games played.

Last edited:
There was nothing wrong with the Class 6 Region C-D semifinal officiating. I have had the pleasure of working with many of these crews numerous times over the past years and, for the most part, they are good crews.

General comment: Perhaps what others are referring to are the opinions of a few disgruntled, "arm-chair" officials who either don't fully understand the rules as they apply to high school, or perhaps they sit so far from the action they miss something? Additionally, don't fault the officials if they miss a call now and then. There are dozens of potential places to look on any given play and sometimes things just get missed.

The officials are, for the most part, only doing this out of a love of the game and a desire to help the kid. Give them a break. Without those few who do give of their time, we wouldn't have the privilege of even seeing these games played.
I just made the comments because there were issues in the SB/BS and LT games,as well as a few of the lower division games. Just an observation and I do appreciate the input. I know it’s a thankless job,but there’s a lot of “overofficiating” from what I’ve been reading.

Reactions: SportsJunkie32
The new rules basically mandate over officiating. I officiate another sport, but I can tell you its getting harder and harder to find officials. Most of us are getting long in the tooth and officials are legitimately becoming an endangered species. The younger kids don't want to spend three hours being yelled at for pennies on the dollar. Most people think man the refs earn hypothetically $$$$ a game. Well consider this: A 1 hour commute to the game, 1 hour pregame and 1 hour post game meeting, 3 hour game, 1 hour ride home. That's basically seven hours of an individuals time on a Friday night and for what???????

Another factor to be considered is the liability being put on officials. @HooSprings, you mentioned knee pads. According to civil law, if an official willingly ignores a violation of an equipment rule and a participant is injured the said official can be held civilly liable in court. True Example in Virginia (another sport): A player is instructed by an official prior to the game to take an earring out, the coach states at the pregame conference that all of his players are legally and properly equipped. The player comes to bat and is hit in the helmet with a pitched ball, blood trickles down and it is discovered the earring has pierced the players neck. Instead of the player being held accountable both the coach and official were found civilly liable in a Virginia Court to the tune of $20,000.00. With today's litigious society and people refusing to hold themselves accountable for their own screw ups damn right I am going to over officiate and so would you.

The new rules basically mandate over officiating. I officiate another sport, but I can tell you its getting harder and harder to find officials. Most of us are getting long in the tooth and officials are legitimately becoming an endangered species. The younger kids don't want to spend three hours being yelled at for pennies on the dollar. Most people think man the refs earn hypothetically $$$$ a game. Well consider this: A 1 hour commute to the game, 1 hour pregame and 1 hour post game meeting, 3 hour game, 1 hour ride home. That's basically seven hours of an individuals time on a Friday night and for what???????

Another factor to be considered is the liability being put on officials. @HooSprings, you mentioned knee pads. According to civil law, if an official willingly ignores a violation of an equipment rule and a participant is injured the said official can be held civilly liable in court. True Example in Virginia (another sport): A player is instructed by an official prior to the game to take an earring out, the coach states at the pregame conference that all of his players are legally and properly equipped. The player comes to bat and is hit in the helmet with a pitched ball, blood trickles down and it is discovered the earring has pierced the players neck. Instead of the player being held accountable both the coach and official were found civilly liable in a Virginia Court to the tune of $20,000.00. With today's litigious society and people refusing to hold themselves accountable for their own screw ups damn right I am going to over officiate and so would you.
I too officiate another sport and agree 100% that an official is always wrong, because one team will lose. What I had a problem with at the HSHS game was the lack of engagement with players but drastic measures taken throughout the game. I will pull a kid over in a heart beat and tell them, "calm down, live to play another down/play." I think the only real issue I had was the ejection in the 5a-b game. Seemed unnecessary but like you said, we can see but not hear everything.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Still would like to know if the HS defender said anything. Haven’t heard from anyone who could hear if he did.

Still would like to know if the HS defender said anything. Haven’t heard from anyone who could hear if he did.
He yelled 4th down with his fist in the air,signaling 4th down,just like you see on TV now. I guess the fact that he did it,after making a LEGAL tackle,on Maury’s sideline,he got an unsportsmanlike conduct,taunting penalty. So,a raised fist,signaling 4th down is taunting now?!?! Smh

Reactions: WP02alum
I’m just interested in hearing some details. That’s the first time I’ve heard it was an unsportsmanlike, taunting call. Shame if that’s all it was.

I’m just interested in hearing some details. That’s the first time I’ve heard it was an unsportsmanlike, taunting call. Shame if that’s all it was.
That's all he did smh. I'd even fight it and claim he's the defensive Captain, he's suppose to tell his defense what down it is to ensure the right guys get off and on the field.

The fact a player would get ejected for that is Bush League

The protest was filed IMMEDIATELY. There was no waiting til after the game,and the VHSL official was standing right where it happened. They have the film of the play,and first hand observation. It should be overturned by tomorrow!

The protest was filed IMMEDIATELY. There was no waiting til after the game,and the VHSL official was standing right where it happened. They have the film of the play,and first hand observation. It should be overturned by tomorrow!
I was told by a guy in the stands sitting next to me (who is an official for high school sports too). The officials in this game were from SW Va. Out there, they have big time gang problems and in some of the schools there. They are really big on shirt tails out, colors and hand signals that relate to gang activity. He was seeing things that he could see as "possible gang related" mischief! Unbelievable! He thought that showing the fist was some type of signaled threat!
I can tell you for sure that NOTHING LIKE THAT would EVER flush on any Highland Springs team! If that was the case, it should absolutely be turned over in the appeal. This kid is an A lister! Top notch, honor roll, great parents and himself is one of the best kids you'd ever want to meet! It would be a travesty for this young man to miss his final game and 4th State Championship because of an ignorant mistake from an official!!
Also, as Bleeding Navy mentioned in this thread earlier, about talking to and teaching the kids in certain instances during the game. This man I was sitting next to noted out to me the exact same thing!!! In this entire game, there were lots of flags thrown for different reasons and there was no communication between the officials and the kids what so ever!!!

Last edited:
I was told by a guy in the stands sitting next to me (who is an official for high school sports too). The officials in this game were from SW Va. Out there, they have big time gang problems and in some of the schools there. They are really big on shirt tails out, colors and hand signals that relate to gang activity. He was seeing things that he could see as "possible gang related" mischief! Unbelievable! He thought that showing the fist was some type of signaled threat!
I can tell you for sure that NOTHING LIKE THAT would EVER flush on any Highland Springs team! If that was the case, it should absolutely be turned over in the appeal. This kid is an A lister! Top notch, honor roll, great parents and himself is one of the best kids you'd ever want to meet! It would be a travesty for this young man to miss his final game and 4th State Championship because of an ignorant mistake from an official!!
Also, as Bleeding Navy mentioned in this thread earlier, about talking to and teaching the kids in certain instances during the game. This man I was sitting next to noted out to me the exact same thing!!! In this entire game, there were lots of flags thrown for different reasons and there was no communication between the officials and the kids what so ever!!!

If they threw him out just for signaling a 4th quarter sign but falsely diagnosed it as a gang sign that would be very disappointing. I don't know what happened but maybe we should have officials from similar backgrounds officiating the games where it is appropriate to have a better understanding of what is really going on.

I won't bad mouth them (officials) as many of you pointed out it is a big responsibility for not much in return... Kudos for being involved with youth sports but I really hope there was more to the story than a 4th quarter sign that resulted in a suspension / ejection. I agree with @springer76 in I find it very hard to believe that the player mentioned would have done that or any other player on the roster for that matter. Even if anyone on the team was gang affiliated... which I don't think they are... would actually have the balls to do that on a streamed and radio broadcast game under a coach Johnson regime. I can almost guarantee that wouldn't happen. Maybe somebody just ticked him off and he said something abrasive but that is about it. I think it is time for the official in question to verify or explain the expulsion in more detail. To prevent this young man from playing in a state championship game behind a hunch which is likely a misunderstanding is unacceptable IMO.

Reactions: WP02alum
If they threw him out just for signaling a 4th quarter sign but falsely diagnosed it as a gang sign that would be very disappointing. I don't know what happened but maybe we should have officials from similar backgrounds officiating the games where it is appropriate to have a better understanding of what is really going on.

I won't bad mouth them (officials) as many of you pointed out it is a big responsibility for not much in return... Kudos for being involved with youth sports but I really hope there was more to the story than a 4th quarter sign that resulted in a suspension / ejection. I agree with @springer76 in I find it very hard to believe that the player mentioned would have done that or any other player on the roster for that matter. Even if anyone on the team was gang affiliated... which I don't think they are... would actually have the balls to do that on a streamed and radio broadcast game under a coach Johnson regime. I can almost guarantee that wouldn't happen. Maybe somebody just ticked him off and he said something abrasive but that is about it. I think it is time for the official in question to verify or explain the expulsion in more detail. To prevent this young man from playing in a state championship game behind a hunch which is likely a misunderstanding is unacceptable IMO.
We are talking about a 4 YEAR VARSITY STARTER,the Defense captain,an honor student,and a pure class act in the community. In 4 years,not ONE SINGLE dead ball personal foul or unsportsmanlike penalty!

The defensive players have signaled THAT 4th down ALL YEAR to each other. That is in NO WAY malicious or demeaning to the other team coaches or players.

Reactions: mbonape1
I don't know why anyone is willing to do it. I know high school rules, but there is no way I would go do the training, pay the money for uniforms, etc. and then get yelled at for my time. It just isn't worth it. We've always given officials a hard time over the years, but I felt like when I was young it was more of good natured ribbing and a lot of the stuff I'd hear from the stands was more humorous than vitriolic. Now I feel like people will literally kill the guy over a ball/strike call if they get the chance.

I’ve thought about officiating since I have a pretty thick skin. A bit time-consuming though, so maybe when my career is slowing down.

Let us know the results when you hear.

It is literally crazy what officials listen to for just a few $$$$ on any given night. I still officiate because I love the game. Anyone officiating high school sports for the money is going hungry real quick.

I would like to put a shirt and a whistle on lots of the people in stands that think they can do better. If you really want to find out what little you know about a sport, grab a shirt and whistle and give officiating a try.

I would like to put a shirt and a whistle on lots of the people in stands that think they can do better. If you really want to find out what little you know about a sport, grab a shirt and whistle and give officiating a try.
I agree! I did 3 different sports. What’s bothering me is,an officials obvious biased,against a player or team,that’s established before the game even starts. THAT needs to stop!!

I never question an officials calls,because I’ve been there. I DO question an official allowing his biased to be interjected into a game to influence the game in one way or another.

Reactions: bowlingref
I agree! I did 3 different sports. What’s bothering me is,an officials obvious biased,against a player or team,that’s established before the game even starts. THAT needs to stop!!

I never question an officials calls,because I’ve been there. I DO question an official allowing his biased to be interjected into a game to influence the game in one way or another.
I have done games with officials that were biased against one team from the start. Hate that deal.

Reactions: HooSprings
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT