ADVERTISEMENT

Ok, here comes the questions after the Monacan/LT game

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
What are the rules for a blocked field goal attempt. Also, same question about a blocked punt, and a muffed punt?

OK, to get a couple of the fundamentals out of the way first. Punt and field goals are both scrimmage kicks. The rules only address scrimmage kicks. All rules for scrimmage kicks are the same except one (obviously) that says if the ball is kicked off the ground by place kick, it scores 3 points if it goes between the uprights. If it is punted, it doesn't.

Now, back to your question. On a play where a kick has been made, if the ball is loose behind the neutral zone (line of scrimmage) then it can be picked up and advanced by either team. Even if it crosses the line of scrimmage and returns behind the line. Where it's been doesn't matter. It only matters where it is when it's possessed. (see note below, which doesn't pertain to this particular play.)

If the kicking team advances, it's just like any other play -- they have to make the line to gain or it's a turnover on downs. They can advance and score a TD, as we all saw on the video.

Notice I said a kick has been made, not blocked. Any kick that's still behind the line can be advanced by either team. I know of a team that used to punt the ball straight up. The rushers weren't looking for it to come down, and the punter or personal protector would catch it and run. Perfectly legal.

Any scrimmage kick that is loose beyond the line of scrimmage can be possessed by either team, but if the kicking team possesses it, it's dead.

Note: Technically, to say it doesn't matter where it's been is not correct, although in the portion of the rule applicable to that play, it doesn't matter. LT picked up the ball behind the line and it made no difference where it had been.

The two times it does matter where it's been is if the receiving team touched it beyond the line, in which case it's first down for whatever team ends up with it. Or if it somehow breaks the plane of the goal line then bounces back. Any kick that breaks the plane of the goal line is dead and declared a touchback.

This post was edited on 12/6 1:02 AM by White hat

So why wasn't it a dead ball it was touched by monacan behind the line so it shouldn't have been able to be advanced if I'm reading your statement right

Touching behind the line is nothing. In fact, touching by the receiving team NEVER kills the ball.

Touching a motionless ball by the kicking team BEYOND the line kills it -- commonly referred to as 'downing the ball," although that language is not in the rule book.

The reason it kills it on extra points is that a kick either scores or it doesn't. The rules say the kick is dead on a PAT when it's clear it will not score.

Because this is different on a FG attempt, the officials will have a signal to each other to remember that it's a live ball. This signal is almost universally a rolling of fists, like a false start signal, This scenario is discussed a lot. You can bet they were all ready for it and knew exactly what to do. In the NBC12 video, the camera is near the linesman and you can see he's focused on the players near the ball even as the white team is running upfield celebrating.

So why wasn't it a dead ball it was touched by monacan behind the line so it shouldn't have been able to be advanced if I'm reading your statement right

Ok I'm trying to learn I have seen that motion from the officials at the many of games as I have been to I'm assuming as the monacan team felt it was like a extra point.

That signal comes from NCAA, where there are a lot more fourth down rules and it's used as a reminder that only the guy who fumbles can advance a recovery (I think) and a couple other things, We don't have all that in h.s., but we have reason to use it on 4th down kicks, so you see it if you're looking.

My son plays JV football and I asked him if he knows that rule. "Know it? We practice it. We practice blocked kicks and bad snaps as the kicking team and the defense."

Like you said to me the other day, how does a team that good totally blow it. I am willing to bet any amount of money that Coach Henderson has practiced senerios just like your son's team has. But, I think it was the passion of the moment playing out. Even if a few kids would have been normally been aware that the play was not over, they succumbed to the euphoria of the moment. The LT kids were in the same boat, just stunned and standing around. Suddenly, either because a player reconized the situation, and/or the screaming from the sidelines got someone's attention, then a quick grab and hop into the end zone.

Again, I say this. "Teenagers". That explains a lot.

For sure, practice for this type of play will be on every team's agenda next year.

I guess this is the problem with a difference in pat and a field goal had this been a pat it would of been blown dead it shocking how it endedicated and I don't care how much you practice that scenario they are teenagers and will probably act the same

Originally posted by cpaluch0809:
Because Monacan was the receiving team. Them touching the ball doesn't cause it to become dead.

The kicking team recovered the ball behind the LOS, so they are allowed to advance it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT