ADVERTISEMENT

OK. Is it time for the way to early top 10 in 4a?

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
I don't think I can rank them but I will nominate a few schools. Salem. Amherst. Pulaski. Lake Taylor Dinwiddie. Sherando. I'm sure many of you can nominate many more. Maybe even do the rankings

I don't think I can rank them but I will nominate a few schools. Salem. Amherst. Pulaski. Lake Taylor Dinwiddie. Sherando. I'm sure many of you can nominate many more. Maybe even do the rankings
I think Amherst will be right there this year for sure

It's never too early to talk football. Unfortunately, I've got to work today. I'll try to post my picks tonight. Everybody have a great day.

Really not sure who graduated what, but I will stick with traditional powers, one ready to make a dent and other threats to contend. No specific order.
West: Salem, Sherando, Amherst, Woodgrove and GW Danville (John Champe)
East: LT, Lafayette, Dinwiddie, Chancellor and Hanover (Smithfield)

Others: Pulaski, Eastern View, Powhatan and Kings Fork

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Really not sure who graduated what, but I will stick with traditional powers, one ready to make a dent and other threats to contend. No specific order.
West: Salem, Sherando, Amherst, Woodgrove and GW Danville (John Champe)
East: LT, Lafayette, Dinwiddie, Chancellor and Hanover (Smithfield)

Others: Pulaski, Eastern View, Powhatan and Kings Fork
Not bad

Let's take every team, one team at a time, and ask for analysis and comments on each.

What do you think?

I suggest alphabetically. Alternating back and forth between west and east.

Starting with the west. And I believe our first team will be Amherst.

What do they have coming back? What players are up and comers to watch. How do they match up with their schedule. Please finish with your guess on their regular season record.

Checking the Amherst schedule on Maxpreps, it looks like the Lancers are bracketed on both ends of their season with two tough teams. Opening against Salem speaks for itself. And finishing with Appomattox will sure be a test going into the playoffs. At least they catch Appomattox at home. I can see 6-4 or 7-3.

Checking the Amherst schedule on Maxpreps, it looks like the Lancers are bracketed on both ends of their season with two tough teams. Opening against Salem speaks for itself. And finishing with Appomattox will sure be a test going into the playoffs. At least they catch Appomattox at home. I can see 6-4 or 7-3.
I got them 8 2

I figure they lose to Salem. Of course, a win over Salem and they are the favorite in the remaining nine games.

But, Salem and Appomattox, and two of these four, JF, Brookville, Heritage, or Rustburg, I think will be possible loses.

It's likely both Salem and Amherst will face their most challenging opponents of the regular season when the two square off in Week One. Right now on paper, it looks like Salem will face three tough tests to start the year, in Amherst, Byrd, and Northside. Then (without assuming anything or taking any team for granted) six weeks of cruising until the finale at Pulaski.

I think Amherst can flip the JF loss to the other side of the ledger. The question is, who will they play in place of Okeechobee? That could be another win that was a loss last year. I too think the Lancers could finish 8-2, possibly 9-1 if Dame Fortune really smiles on them.

It's likely both Salem and Amherst will face their most challenging opponents of the regular season when the two square off in Week One. Right now on paper, it looks like Salem will face three tough tests to start the year, in Amherst, Byrd, and Northside. Then (without assuming anything or taking any team for granted) six weeks of cruising until the finale at Pulaski.

I think Amherst can flip the JF loss to the other side of the ledger. The question is, who will they play in place of Okeechobee? That could be another win that was a loss last year. I too think the Lancers could finish 8-2, possibly 9-1 if Dame Fortune really smiles on them.

Maxpreps says they picked up LCA.

I don't see them losing this one. If they do, we may have to commit Wikki for therapy!

Reactions: wikki
JF loses 20-some seniors, including most all of their studs, if I'm not mistaken. They're going to have to prove that they can reload, as opposed to having to rebuild.

Yeah, I agree, I think they take care of business with JF. They lost a lot to graduation. And, you know Coach Christmas will bring a high powered offense, but I don't see them being as strong as last year.

Reactions: wikki
Maxpreps says they picked up LCA.

I don't see them losing this one. If they do, we may have to commit Wikki for therapy!
They did pick up LCA and don't know why, but it is at Amherst, this one they should win and better or the fans will be disgruntled to start off with and yes I will need therapy if they don't.

I think Amherst will be right there this year for sure
Hard to say this but don't think they will beat Salem especially at Salem but that will be a good indicator on their season to see how well they play against the State Champs

Off of what's coming back you'd have to think that Salem is the undesputed #1. Right now I'd go 1. Salem 2. Dinwiddie 3. LT 4. Lafeyette 5. Champe/Chancellor. GW, Pulaski, Amherst, and Eastern View round out the top 10 in no specific order.

I'd like to hear from Mike on what he thinks about the Amherst-LCA matchup.
LCA loses so much from last year's team, that surprised me by getting hammered by almost 50 to Millbrook. They lose their 2 best WR's in Jauch & Strachman (6'5" 200), their leading RB, D1 talent in Terrell (DE), Knowles (DL), & Blake (G). They do return QB, Johnson, (6'2" 205) but otherwise they have a lot of question marks????

Amherst only loses 14 to graduation and returns 26 Jr's & 20+ Sophomores. The only teams they lost to last year in state were Salem, (2×) JF, & Appomattox. (2 state champions & a semi-finalist) They return their QB & RB I believe. JV was 7-3 last year & had a huge OL/DL full of Sophomores that will help the Varsity this year.

I expect Amherst to play Salem tough this year and the result should be much closer. Against LCA I expect Amherst to win big, just my opinion based on who's returning and who graduated.

I'd like to hear from Mike on what he thinks about the Amherst-LCA matchup.
I saw my Dr last week and we talked about football for about 15 minutes.
I saw Rke fan at the Redbox tonight and we talked about football for about 15 minutes. Needless to say I'm ready for football, seems to be all I can talk about!

Our prayers that your doc visit was just routine and your health is good?

Thanks, I thought that was what you had previously mentioned about LCA. I don't want to totally discount them, but very little say's they will be a factor this season.

Amherst should be down right stout this season. That first game will be a good indication of where they are. Same being said for Salem.

I revise my predictions. 90% chance of 8-2, 35% chance of 9-1, and a 25% chance of going 10-0.

Let's hear more about Amherst during the day today, and will will move on to rhe next team tonight. Which will be Caroline.

I don't think we have seen Amerst1 chime in? (I think that is is nickname)? Mike, I hope you encouraged "RKEfan" to join us? He always offers thoughtful comments. "OneMan" knows his football, how about lending your knowledge old pal? Come on "Bleeding Navy"! You always have background and inside info. Let's hear it!

Mike, tell em over on your Salem Facebook page to drop in and join us. Just remind them we are on a mission to openly discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly, of each team in 4a, one team at a time. No bravado, no boasting, "just the facts"! And to please end their post with a projection of the regular season record of the team we are discussing.

Amherst County 2015 Football Roster
Mascot

Lancers

Team

Varsity 2015

Colors

Maroon, Gray
Coach

Cecil Phillips

Address

139 Lancer Ln, Amherst, VA 24521
Overall

7-5

Region

1-1

National Rank

State (VA) Rank

• (C) = Captain
  • Click the column headers to sort the roster
# Name Position Gr. Ht Wt
1 Trae Shuford RB, WR, CB Sr. 5-8 169
2 Jordan Woodfolk WR, CB Jr. 5-9 162
3 Malik Woodfolk WR, CB Sr. 6-3 164
4 Clarence Henley RB, OLB Sr. 5-10 204
5 Jason Whitley RB, CB Sr. 5-7 158
6 Keshon Turner QB, OLB So. 5-11 170
7 Krishawn Anderson WR, CB Sr. 5-11 150
8 Evan Smith RB, CB Jr. 5-9 160
9 Trajion Dye WR, FS Jr. 5-11 169
10 Brayden Lawhorne WR, LB So. 5-10 166
11 Ryan Finch QB, FS Jr. 6-1 161
12 Kevon Williams WR, CB Jr. 5-8 151
14 Hunter Berkey K, P Jr. 5-10 133
15 Devonte Smith DB, WR So. 5-10 142
17 Brandon Casey WR, DB So. 5-5 125
18 Michael Reynolds WR, OLB Jr. 5-8 147
20 Octavius Jones RB, SS Jr. 5-9 172
21 Trevor Booker FB, DE Jr. 6-0 197
22 Quentin Brown SS, RB Jr. 6-1 188
23 Jerry Page RB, OLB Jr. 5-10 182
24 John Collins RB, OLB Jr. 5-8 160
25 Derrick Spencer WR, CB Jr. 6-2 232
26 Lamar Leftwich RB, OLB Jr. 5-10 166
28 Dakota Adcock CB, WR Jr. 5-10 145
31 Damien Waugh TE, DE Jr. 6-3 245
32 Jacob Martin FB, DE Jr. 6-0 216
33 Zach Tyree FB, MLB Jr. 5-8 182
35 Mateo Johnson DE, TE Jr. 6-3 212
42 Jeremiah Millner LS Jr. 6-2 235
50 Sam Procopio T, DT Jr. 5-10 203
51 Deandre Waugh T, DT Jr. 5-9 229
52 Jonathan Bryant C, DT Sr. 5-10 185
53 Taylor Williams G, DT Sr. 5-10 202
54 Carter Martin OL, DL So. 5-10 242
55 Marquis Cashwell T, DT Sr. 6-1 232
56 Bryce Morcom G, DE Sr. 6-0 210
57 Trent Lawhorne T, DT Jr. 6-0 237
58 Evan Morcom G, MLB Sr. 6-1 215
59 Terrell Murry G, DE Sr. 5-10 193
60 Adrian Mitchell T, DT Sr. 5-10 246
62 Josh Tinsley T, NG So. 6-2 267
63 Lamall Brown G, NG Sr. 5-6 185
64 Malik Carter C, DT Sr. 5-10 273
65 Tyler Goins OL, DL So. 5-9 267
66 Lee Hamilton C, DT Jr. 6-2 242
68 Sterling Glover G, NG Jr. 5-8 195
69 David Braxton G, DT So. 6-2 250
75 Chris Brown OL, DL So. 5-8 325
76 Deshaun Harris OL, DL So. 6-3 264
81 Austin Wayne WR, CB Jr. 5-4 125
83 Tysheem Megginson WR, FS So. 5-11 142
88 Kevin Chambers WR, LB

Amherst County 2015 Football Schedule
Mascot

Lancers

Team

Varsity 2015

Colors

Maroon, Gray
Coach

Cecil Phillips

Address

Overall

7-5

Region

1-1

National Rank

State (VA) Rank

Full Calendar
Home Away Neut Win % PF PA Strk
4-1 3-4 0-0 .583 405 374 1L
Date Opponent Result
8/287:00p
Salem (Salem, VA)
45 - 12Loss
9/4TBA
@ Okeechobee (Okeechobee, FL)
30 - 20Loss
9/187:00p
Rockbridge County (Lexington, VA)
62 - 0Win
9/257:00p
Glass (Lynchburg, VA)
35 - 0Win
10/17:00p
@ Liberty (Bedford, VA)
70 - 38Win
10/97:00p
Brookville (Lynchburg, VA)
42 - 35Win
10/167:00p
@ Jefferson Forest (Forest, VA)
71 - 43Loss
10/237:00p
Heritage (Lynchburg, VA)
36 - 32Win
10/307:00p
@ Rustburg (Rustburg, VA)
42 - 28Win
11/67:00p
@ Appomattox County (Appomattox, VA)
38 - 7Loss
11/137:00p
@ Pulaski County (Dublin, VA)
2015 Virginia High School Football Playoff Brackets: VHSL - Group 4A
29 - 22Win
11/207:00p
@ Salem (Salem, VA)
2015 Virginia High School Football Playoff Brackets: VHSL - Group 4A
35 - 7Loss

Amherst County Football Schedule
Mascot

Lancers

Team

Varsity 2016

Colors

Maroon, Gray
Coach

Cecil Phillips

Address

Overall

0-0

Region

0-0
Full Calendar
Home Away Neut Win % PF PA
0-0 0-0 0-0 .000 0 0
NEXT GAME
Aug, 26 @ 7p
@ Salem (VA)
The Amherst County Lancers football team has an away non-conference game @ Salem on Friday, August 26 @ 7p.

Going to the game?
MaxPreps is looking for one person to be the Official Scorer! This person will provide LIVE play-by-play for fans to follow along during the game.

Date Opponent Result
8/267:00p
@ Salem (Salem, VA)
Preview Game
9/97:00p
Liberty Christian (Lynchburg, VA)
Preview Game
9/167:00p
@ Rockbridge County (Lexington, VA)
Preview Game
9/237:00p
@ Glass (Lynchburg, VA)
Preview Game
9/307:00p
Liberty (Bedford, VA)
Preview Game
10/77:00p
@ Brookville (Lynchburg, VA)
Preview Game
10/147:00p
Jefferson Forest (Forest, VA)
Preview Game
10/217:00p
@ Heritage (Lynchburg, VA)
Preview Game
10/287:00p
Rustburg (Rustburg, VA)
Preview Game
11/47:00p
Appomattox County (Appomattox, VA)
Preview Game
Schedule Legend
  • Region Game = *
  • Playoff Game = **
If you have any corrections for the Amherst County football schedule please contact Support.

Let's hear more about Amherst during the day today, and will will move on to rhe next team tonight. Which will be Caroline.

I don't think we have seen Amerst1 chime in? (I think that is is nickname)? Mike, I hope you encouraged "RKEfan" to join us? He always offers thoughtful comments. "OneMan" knows his football, how about lending your knowledge old pal? Come on "Bleeding Navy"! You always have background and inside info. Let's hear it!

Mike, tell em over on your Salem Facebook page to drop in and join us. Just remind them we are on a mission to openly discuss the good, the bad, and the ugly, of each team in 4a, one team at a time. No bravado, no boasting, "just the facts"! And to please end their post with a projection of the regular season record of the team we are discussing.

Amherst could be a 7-9 win team IMO based on schedule and returnees. Salem, Heritage, Appo, JF, Bville will all be tough games. I'd say Heritage-Amherst are the frontrunners for the Seminole based on what they return. Bville loses a few skill guys and the starting QB but they still have Perry, maybe best skill player in the district. JF loses a lot but with that coach and structure in the program, they won't fall off completely but should certainly take a step back from the past few years dominance. Heritage had 4 or 5 sophs that contributed on varsity including QB Anderson and RB Davis who both got going toward the end of the year. Bradley's probably excited about the potential of his young roster. Appo loses some big time talent too but return Graves, top 2018 player in Lynchburg area. Salem has to be the favorite to repeat so that'll be their toughest regular season opponent.

Back to Amherst though, they return QB Turner, RBs Page & Woodfolk and fastest player in district Derrick Spencer. If their young OL-DL develop properly this offseason, they should have a top 10 team in 4A. Offense is unlike anyone else in 4A, save for Louisa. The Amherst faithful has to be excited about this season. Stock is rising out there. Anyone know their scrimmage schedule?

Last edited:

1. Salem
2. Lake Taylor
3. Chancellor
4. Dinwiddie
5. Hanover
6. Sherando
7. Millbrook
8. Lafayette
9. Woodgrove
10. Eastern View

HM; Amherst Monacan, GW Danville, Dominion, John Champe, Louisa

What's the word on Courtland this year? I know they lose a ton but I can't recall the last time they weren't a solid team. I watched full game film of every one of these teams last year except Champe and Monacan. Chancellor is the most intriguing team to me, on paper they've got as much talent as anybody. LT will be starving when they hit the field. Salem hasn't had this target on their back in a while, be interesting to see how their players respond to being champs, will they get complacent or keep the ball rolling. I'll lean towards the latter. Dinwiddie has Pope and Freeland who are both game changers. Hanover has Cheatum. Sherando has Rivers. Millbrook has Kier and Smith. Woodgrove returns QB(name?). EV has Hunter & Orange. Amherst returns Turner & Page plus lots of lineman.

My HM teams that you shouldn't sleep on are Monacan with Fludd at QB, Dominion with Christ, Richardson, Walker and a young QB that is going to breakout and Louisa with Whalen and Bell running the Wing. That's about all I've got for now. Is it football season yet?

Last edited:
Good stuff, One Man. Good to have your take on things.

I don't want to get ahead of my plan to discuss each team individually, but I would be cautious about LT. They always have very low roster numbers for a team that dominates. Which tells me they know how to manage the talent they have. But having said that, I don't see them being many folks pre-season pick to win it all.

But, you can bet their locker room walls are papered with reminders of last December!

Let's hear some more about Amherst and their match ups this year, before we move on to Caroline tonight.

Last edited:
1. Salem
2. Lake Taylor
3. Chancellor
4. Dinwiddie
5. Hanover
6. Sherando
7. Millbrook
8. Lafayette
9. Woodgrove
10. Eastern View

HM; Amherst Monacan, GW Danville, Dominion, John Champe, Louisa

What's the word on Courtland this year? I know they lose a ton but I can't recall the last time they weren't a solid team. I watched full game film of every one of these teams last year except Champe and Monacan. Chancellor is the most intriguing team to me, on paper they've got as much talent as anybody. LT will be starving when they hit the field. Salem hasn't had this target on their back in a while, be interesting to see how their players respond to being champs, will they get complacent or keep the ball rolling. I'll lean towards the latter. Dinwiddie has Pope and Freeland who are both game changers. Hanover has Cheatum. Sherando has Rivers. Millbrook has Kier and Smith. Woodgrove returns QB(name?). EV has Hunter & Orange. Amherst returns Turner & Page plus lots of lineman.

My HM teams that you shouldn't sleep on are Monacan with Fludd at QB, Dominion with Christ, Richardson, Walker and a young QB that is going to breakout and Louisa with Whalen and Bell running the Wing. That's about all I've got for now. Is it football season yet?
Great post I only take issue with one thing. Salem had been the target for schools for twenty years. If they get beat in the regular season the other team storms the field. No difference this year from any other.

I think putting Salem at number 1 may be premature. They are going to have to show they have rebuilt their offensive and defensive lines. Scrimmages will tell a lot. They are good at skilled positions.

I think putting Salem at number 1 may be premature. They are going to have to show they have rebuilt their offensive and defensive lines. Scrimmages will tell a lot. They are good at skilled positions.

I hear you. But speaking of the West only, there is no way the Spartans are not the pre-season favorite.
The East is the usually cast of characters. Except, I personally don't see any team standing out like Salem in the West.

Hope you are right, but Salem's style of play depends on offensive line. They need to be able to run inside

What was the Salem boy's name that went to UR a few years ago? I think his brother went there also? He may have graduated by now. Wasn't he or his brother banged up right bad and maybe missed a season?

Hope you are right, but Salem's style of play depends on offensive line. They need to be able to run inside
You are right SB, finding replacements for the 3 OL & 4 DL will be huge. Looking at last year's roster there are some good possibilities. That being said, the guys will really have to hit the weight room and Salem will probably have to rely on some Sophomores in spots. If not as starters then certainly as capable backups or what I like to call 1A guys. How the lines gel will really dictate Salem's fortunes, especially early with big tests like Amherst, Northside, and probably William Byrd as well. (Basham is just getting better every week)

What was the Salem boy's name that went to UR a few years ago? I think his brother went there also? He may have graduated by now. Wasn't he or his brother banged up right bad and maybe missed a season?
You may be talking about the Barnette twins, Stephen (WR) & Reggie. (DB) They graduated the year before last and I think Stephen did miss some games his Sr yr due to injury.

RB Seth Fisher will graduate this year and he was injured a lot unfortunately. Alex Light, RT is doing a great job starting all the games this past year.

Last edited:
I agree with oneman, I think they will win 7-9 games in the regular season this year. Most likely will be 8-2.

Last edited:
Sherando is loaded with young talent. The Freshman and Sophomore players this year. may be the most talented Classes to ever play at Sherando. Can't wait for football, hope it's a great yeat year.

Reactions: mike salem
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT