ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Lady, and Gentlemen,

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
4a East will send 16 football teams to he playoffs for the next two years. Eight from Conferences 17 & 18, and eight from Conferences 19 & 20.

Here are the "pods"

Churchland
Deep Creek
Great Bridge
King's Fork
Lake Taylor
Woodrow Wilson
Denbigh
Grafton
Heritage NN
Jamestown
Lafayette
Smithfield

Caroline
Chancellor
Courtland
Eastern View
King George
Louisa
Dinwiddie
Hanover
Huguenot
Midlothian
Monacan
Powhatan

Let's see your eight and eight!!!

Last edited:
Since when did it go from 8 to 6? I know the Dinwiddie AD is the 4A East chairman, but I just got off with my AD he said it's 8 and 8 not 6.

Last edited:
No problems. I screwed that up. 8 & 8 is correct. My apologies.

Last edited:
Ugh. The little ol' Lions and Cougars join the East and everyone has a heart attack and creates these silly "pods" SMH. I was really looking forward to finally seeing some new faces. I guess we'll just have to meet the 757 teams the hard way!

I'll give it a go, but it won't be much more than the conventional wisdom:

1 Lake Taylor vs. 8 Churchland
2 Lafayette vs. 7 Great Bridge
3 Heritage - NN vs. 6 Grafton
4 Kings Fork vs. 5 Smithfield

1 Dinwiddie vs. 8 Louisa
2 Courtland vs. 7 King George
3 Eastern View vs. 6 Monacan
4 Hanover vs. 5 Powhatan

Monaca is only in a six seed due to the fact that I think their schedule is brutal. The 757 area seems to drop off after first 4 teams. The other pod looks very competitive. I like the former central region schools (Dinwiddie, Hanover and Monacan) as the favorites to take on Lake Taylor for a right to play in states.

Ugh. The little ol' Lions and Cougars join the East and everyone has a heart attack and creates these silly "pods" SMH. I was really looking forward to finally seeing some new faces. I guess we'll just have to meet the 757 teams the hard way!
Trust me no one in the 757 wanted this pod mess!! But the Richmond schools win again same thing they did to 5a South. The only decent thing the 757 did get to pass was the cross bracketing once you get to the final four. We wanted to keep it at 1-16. The pods do rotate on a yearly basis so next year it will be 17 vs. 19 and 18 vs. 20 in the "pods"

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
No problems. I screwed that up. 8 & 8 is correct. My apologies.
Thanks because I was having a mini heart attack over here because no way do I favor the first round bye system at all especially if your team is on a roll or finally playing well kills all momentum.

I have not read too much on boards lately, but what was their reasoning for going to this "pod" format? I would understand if it were for travel reasons, but with the pods rotating then I do not understand how that would save travel.

Last edited:
Thanks because I was having a mini heart attack over here because no way do I favor the first round bye system at all especially if your team is on a roll or finally playing well kills all momentum.
I have it from a reliable source that the conferences in the pods WILL NOT flip the second year.

I too, hate a bye in post season.

I have not read too much on boards lately, but what was their reasoning for going to this "pod" format? I would understand if it were for travel reasons, but with the pods rotating then I do not understand how that would save travel.

I know Devils hates the pod system, but I'll leave it to him to explain the discussions and rational that led to this change.

I have it from a reliable source that the conferences in the pods WILL NOT flip the second year.

I too, hate a bye in post season.
From what my AD came back and said the pods will switch like they do in basketball with the conference matchups. First 17 vs. 18 and 19 vs. 20 then the following year 17 vs. 19 and 18 vs. 20, but my question goes back to if this is going to be the case why even develop the pod system to begin with? Pods I guess were developed to cut down on travel since 4A South last 2 years 4A South has lost money. With all this being said the Tidewater teams that remained in $A like LT, Deep Creek, Churchland, Heritage, Kings Fork, Denbigh, and Grafton were all against the idea of splitting up into pods. The thinking around the Tidewater area is the Richmond area schools who for years didn't want to change and didn't change their playoff system still wants that regional feel going. When they came up with the pods there wasn't going to be cross bracketing in the semifinals, but that was brought up by the Tidewater people and passed. Just look at 5a South the Richmond schools eliminate each other and the Tidewater teams eliminate each other and you just hope your representative is better than the Tidewater representative in the state semifinals. It really feels like the push will be to go back to "regions" which is what the pods have created.

Got it thanks. I am will be following 4a some more than I thought I would this year. I have some family that is going to be attending Charlottesville now and possibly playing football.

Two things to add. The first being, that as it's written in the handbook, there is no reference whatsoever to flip the conferences in the second year. Unless there is a vote to add this provision, it can't happen.

And secondly, I think what drove the format change was the thinking that the probability of much larger gates if you get teams that have some existing rivalry, and travel is less lengthy. I'll pick out just two games as an example. And these are kind of extreme and maybe exaggerated examples. I.C.Norcom hosting Dinwiddie last year. The game hardly covered expenses. Not because the game was not a quality matchup, because it was. There was just very little history, and the travel distance, (especially when you figure heading back to Dinwiddie relatively late.

Two quick points on this game. You know IC Norcom wanted revenge from 2013. And the the outcome was anything but predictable last year. And yet, the attendance was abysmal.

Flip this around. Hanover and Dinwiddie. A packed house at previous meetings. If they meet in the playoffs this year, you will be fortunate to get a seat. The gate will be tremendous. They meet in the regular season and one team or the other will be out to avenge an upset loss, should they meet in the playoffs.

You don't have to like the fact that money enters the equation, but it does. More than many realize. Along those lines, the odds are better you will have much higher grossing games with this change in format.

Personally, I don't like it. I liked the old format. A lot. I would not have voted for the change. But, since not only do I not get a vote, nobody really gives a rip about what I think.

As a die hard fan, I'll travel almost anywhere to watch a game. Not just Dinwiddie, but virtually any high school game. But I have been severely chastised by one member of the Dinwiddie community for my intention to miss ONE Dinwiddie game this year. I will be on my first week long vacation since 1973 on the Friday night of the Dinwiddie at Caroline game. I have been threatened with permant disbarment from loyal fan status. All because I won't make the 6 1/2 hour, (each way), trip. I'm also dealing with the additional matter of being promised with immediate divorce if I even consider coming back for the game. So I am stuck in the middle.

I'm going to miss being married!

Reactions: kw85
I'll give it a go, but it won't be much more than the conventional wisdom:

1 Lake Taylor vs. 8 Churchland
2 Lafayette vs. 7 Great Bridge
3 Heritage - NN vs. 6 Grafton
4 Kings Fork vs. 5 Smithfield

1 Dinwiddie vs. 8 Louisa
2 Courtland vs. 7 King George
3 Eastern View vs. 6 Monacan
4 Hanover vs. 5 Powhatan

I will flip flop Lafayette and Kings Fork. I think Hanover can be a #1, #2, or #3, but only because of their schedule and the fact that seeding will be a reflection of the points system. They will be a very, very tough out, especially at home. Monacan lost a few key players, but Coach Henderson does not play it one season at a time. A perfect example of "reload"!

Monacan at LT, would that be a hell of a game again? They may have to play that one at Lynchburg.

I don't think anybody will argue that the representative from the 17/18 pod has to go through LT.

It's hard for me to select the 19/20 pod champ. I just don't know enough about the new East teams.

Two things to add. The first being, that as it's written in the handbook, there is no reference whatsoever to flip the conferences in the second year. Unless there is a vote to add this provision, it can't happen.

And secondly, I think what drove the format change was the thinking that the probability of much larger gates if you get teams that have some existing rivalry, and travel is less lengthy. I'll pick out just two games as an example. And these are kind of extreme and maybe exaggerated examples. I.C.Norcom hosting Dinwiddie last year. The game hardly covered expenses. Not because the game was not a quality matchup, because it was. There was just very little history, and the travel distance, (especially when you figure heading back to Dinwiddie relatively late.

Two quick points on this game. You know IC Norcom wanted revenge from 2013. And the the outcome was anything but predictable last year. And yet, the attendance was abysmal.

Flip this around. Hanover and Dinwiddie. A packed house at previous meetings. If they meet in the playoffs this year, you will be fortunate to get a seat. The gate will be tremendous. They meet in the regular season and one team or the other will be out to avenge an upset loss, should they meet in the playoffs.

You don't have to like the fact that money enters the equation, but it does. More than many realize. Along those lines, the odds are better you will have much higher grossing games with this change in format.

Personally, I don't like it. I liked the old format. A lot. I would not have voted for the change. But, since not only do I not get a vote, nobody really gives a rip about what I think.

As a die hard fan, I'll travel almost anywhere to watch a game. Not just Dinwiddie, but virtually any high school game. But I have been severely chastised by one member of the Dinwiddie community for my intention to miss ONE Dinwiddie game this year. I will be on my first week long vacation since 1973 on the Friday night of the Dinwiddie at Caroline game. I have been threatened with permant disbarment from loyal fan status. All because I won't make the 6 1/2 hour, (each way), trip. I'm also dealing with the additional matter of being promised with immediate divorce if I even consider coming back for the game. So I am stuck in the middle.

I'm going to miss being married!

Happy wife happy life. Decision revolves around nothing but money. Not about getting the best teams standing to play. I have said if for years 1A-3A got it right when they switched years ago. Seems like rural schools with less money don't have the travel restrictions and problems that these bigger schools are claiming to have.

Is Denbigh still down since that super QB graduated in 2014. What was his name, and is he playing somewhere?

I will flip flop Lafayette and Kings Fork. I think Hanover can be a #1, #2, or #3, but only because of their schedule and the fact that seeding will be a reflection of the points system. They will be a very, very tough out, especially at home. Monacan lost a few key players, but Coach Henderson does not play it one season at a time. A perfect example of "reload"!

Monacan at LT, would that be a hell of a game again? They may have to play that one at Lynchburg.

I don't think anybody will argue that the representative from the 17/18 pod has to go through LT.

It's hard for me to select the 19/20 pod champ. I just don't know enough about the new East teams.

One change is there won't be a champ from each pod but 2 teams from each pod that will then be cross bracketed with the higher seeded teaming being the home team. So basically 17/18 #1 vs. 19/20 #2 and vise versa. It's the one saving grace in this whole pod format that can possibly allow the two best teams to play for the 4A East title.

I
Happy wife happy life. Decision revolves around nothing but money. Not about getting the best teams standing to play. I have said if for years 1A-3A got it right when they switched years ago. Seems like rural schools with less money don't have the travel restrictions and problems that these bigger schools are claiming to have.

I've never bought into the extra travel expenses anyway. Other than an overnight trip, which essentially never happens, the difference in cost is hardly identifiable. For instance, gas for the buses. An extra 25 gallons out of the 100k plus gallons a school bus fleet uses? Really? Aren't most bus drivers simply paid a straight fee for driving for an activity? They can argue that they don't like the longer time on the bus, or the loss of fans taking a long trip to a game, but I would have to see some really convincing evidence that extended travel cripples a budget before I wouldn't say, "it's just an excuse".

I'd argue that the pod system will not make any significance difference in getting the best teams to the final pairing. If you could make a verifiable argument that one pod had all of the top teams in the east, then maybe. But that is just not true. There are maybe a half dozen teams in either pod with a legitimate shot at being capable of competing for a state title. The pod system is not eliminating good teams from making it. And even if you believe it is, everything is somewhat skewed anyway, because of district play and the way it affects the VHSL ratings system. That alone has the risk of excluding potentially deserving teams. (Having said this, I still believe the way the points system is structured is about the best method of ranking teams).

I still liked the idea of the straight highest rated 16 teams. But I agree, the motive for the change was money.

One change is there won't be a champ from each pod but 2 teams from each pod that will then be cross bracketed with the higher seeded teaming being the home team. So basically 17/18 #1 vs. 19/20 #2 and vise versa. It's the one saving grace in this whole pod format that can possibly allow the two best teams to play for the 4A East title.

I agree.

DP have you heard anything on Petersburg being dropped from our schedule? I went to a different web site and I don't see them on our schedule. If so are we replacing them or we just going to have 9 games?

Regardless of these pods and rankings the bottom line is Dinwiddie vs LT in a rematch. The winner takes it all. I think it would be a more competitive game than last year. Do we have the horses to over take the champs I don't know but god willing I be in attendance to find out. Hope it's in Dinwiddie.

Subscribe
icon_ical.gif
icon_feed.gif

Change View: Day/date Date condensed Month View
spacer.gif

spacer.gif

Football Varsity Schedule (as of 06-18-15)

Type Time Opponent Location Comments
spacer.gif

Friday, Aug 28, 2015
Game 7:00PM James Monroe Dinwiddie High School - Field - Football
Friday, Sep 4, 2015
Game 7:00PM Hanover Dinwiddie High School - Field - Football
Friday, Sep 11, 2015
Game 7:00PM Away vs. Caroline Caroline HS
Friday, Sep 25, 2015
Game 7:00PM Hopewell Dinwiddie High School - Field - Football
Friday, Oct 2, 2015
Game 7:00PM Matoaca Dinwiddie High School - Field - Football
Friday, Oct 9, 2015
Game 7:00PM Away vs. Thomas Dale Thomas Dale High School
Friday, Oct 16, 2015
Game 7:00PM Prince George Dinwiddie High School - Field - Football
HOMECOMING
Friday, Oct 23, 2015
Game 7:00PM Away vs. Colonial Heights Colonial Heights High School
Friday, Oct 30, 2015
Game 7:30PM Away vs. Petersburg Petersburg High School
Friday, Nov 6, 2015
Game 7:00PM Meadowbrook Dinwiddie High School - Field - Football
SENIOR NIGHT REC LEAGUE NIGHT

Reactions: gen4ever
No sir. I can assure you that the schedule is the same as last year, with the flip flop of who is at home.

The cuppard is well stocked with strong experienced players. The focus and dedication is there at the level that all good teams need, to be successful. A lot of work remains before 7:00PM on August 28. Until the start of contact practice, everything is conjecture. A lot of "should" and "could". But the word that everyone is striving for is "did"!

Many signs point to the potential for this team to be a special team, but it's way to early to even whisper that in private. Will they be a good team, without a doubt. There is no such thing as a Coach Billy Mills team being a poor team. But will they be there at the end? There are a whole lot of really good teams that intend to say no to that question, starting with James Monroe.

I'm right there with you on "the good Lord willing". I've lived too long to not know that my plans may not be what is in store for me. Let's hope that the real Head Coach wants us at all of the games this year. And good to hear from you. You have kept a pretty low profile for a while now. Same with our good friend, Bleeding Navy. I know his job has him completed swamped most of the time. Hopefully he will join us soon.

Just for grins and giggles...!
Football JV Schedule (as of 06-18-15)

Type Time Opponent Location Comments
spacer.gif

Wednesday, Aug 26, 2015
Game 6:00PM Away vs. James Monroe Maury Stadium
Wednesday, Sep 2, 2015
Game 6:00PM Away vs. Hanover Hanover High School
Wednesday, Sep 9, 2015
Game 6:00PM Caroline Dinwiddie High School
Wednesday, Sep 23, 2015
Game 6:30PM Away vs. Hopewell Merner Field (103 North 12th Ave, Hopewell, VA 23860)
corner of City Point Road and N. 12th Ave. Hopewell, VA
Wednesday, Sep 30, 2015
Game 6:00PM Away vs. Matoaca Matoaca High School
Wednesday, Oct 7, 2015
Game 6:00PM Thomas Dale Dinwiddie High School
Wednesday, Oct 14, 2015
Game 7:00PM Away vs. Prince George Prince George High School
Wednesday, Oct 21, 2015
Game 6:00PM Colonial Heights Dinwiddie High School
Wednesday, Oct 28, 2015
Game 6:00PM Petersburg Dinwiddie High School - Field - Football
Wednesday, Nov 4, 2015
Game 6:00PM Away vs. Meadowbrook Meadowbrook High School

DP have you heard anything on Petersburg being dropped from our schedule? I went to a different web site and I don't see them on our schedule. If so are we replacing them or we just going to have 9 games?

Regardless of these pods and rankings the bottom line is Dinwiddie vs LT in a rematch. The winner takes it all. I think it would be a more competitive game than last year. Do we have the horses to over take the champs I don't know but god willing I be in attendance to find out. Hope it's in Dinwiddie.
Idk if it's that clear cut. Courtland is suppose to be a top team from what I'm hearing the are loaded with D1 kids. I think going in the expectation is Dinwiddie vs. LT, but there is A LOT of football to be played.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. That is what I heard on these country back roads. I couldn't imagine a year without playing them.

I'm on here several times a week just enjoying reading some of these post. A lot of the post always be talking about the west teams and my knowledge of those teams are not there enough to chime in with those guru's.

Devils, I know it's a plus to be loaded with D1 players but our championship team only had 3 (Goodwyn, Williams, and Gholston). If you field 11 guys that truly believe in the system, coaching staff, and each other they can and will climb any mountain. And for the record this is my opinion on the outcome no disrespect to any other teams.

Devils, I know it's a plus to be loaded with D1 players but our championship team only had 3 (Goodwyn, Williams, and Gholston). If you field 11 guys that truly believe in the system, coaching staff, and each other they can and will climb any mountain. And for the record this is my opinion on the outcome no disrespect to any other teams.
100% correct....I'm just going with the flow that Courtland is loaded, doesn't make mistakes, etc etc.. as it has been stated up here many times. Bottom line 4A South title will go through Dinwiddie and LT because both of these teams have the pedigree, and a mutual respect by both staffs. Yesterday our Srs. graduated with a record of 49-5 and 2 state titles with 3 losses to state champions and a state runner up. This year's class enters with record of 40-3 with their three losses to 2 state champs and a runner up. These kids want to win, and expect it and I know that is the case down in Dinwiddie Co. I told a friend yesterday when they were talking about us winning the district that we stopped celebrating district titles a long time ago its state title or bust. I know that's the mentality down there also, and not all programs think like that.

You know something though Devils, (and it's a good problem to have), but when you have kids that have rarely experienced a loss, and do, it challenges the coaching staff for the first few days. Good coaches will cause the fire in their kid's bellies to burn even stronger after they get them past that first couple of "would have", "should have", days. But that's a much better problem to have than to try to keep the kids fired up when you go .500 or less, year after year.

Along those same lines, I say Coach Henderson's finest hour last year was immediately after their loss to LT. I know his public statements were gracious and polite, and I'm sure how he handled his locker room afterwards was equally as classy.

There are a lot of other teams that what I'm about to say applies to, but I'll use just you and us for a minute. You know we expect to win every game every week, period. I mean deep down, totally convinced, unquestionably, win every week. And when that inevitable loss happens to a team like us, it is such an unexpected letdown that it's almost no consoling the boys for a couple of days. I'm not sure that last year was not Coach Mills finest coaching job. Defending state champs, and come out and get beat in the first game of the season. At home, too. He brought them around and got the very best out of them the rest of the way.

LT was just at a whole different level than everybody in 4a last year. For that matter, than virtually every team in the state. (Ask Bird). So I don't think that loss stung as bad as the others. But a loss is a loss. I have to qualify this so that I'm not mis-understood. "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser!" It doesn't mean to be an arrogant loser, it simply means that losing eats you alive inside. Just no way you can accept it. And then you look at why you lost, and redouble your determination to not let it happen again. All true champions have this quality.

Reactions: DEVILSLB99
Bo or Coach Henderson is a very good coach and after the game we talked and he was gracious and even at the 4A South meeting he was congratulatory knowing basically his whole family I expected nothing less. As far as losing goes after that loss in 2013 we made it our mission to make sure that we did NOT have to come back to Dinwiddie under any circumstance during the 2014 as we wanted to get the #1 seed and stay at home til Liberty and our kids went out and executed the plan. Of course this years team is coming up an undefeated season the previous year like the 2013 team, but the sting from 2013 (10-3) will motivate a lot of our kids this year as that was not acceptable considering we were the defending state champs. Really going to be a fun season and can't wait to get it started.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT