ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Martinsville and MV fans,

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Tell us about the "flag fest" last night. From what I heard, some were warranted, but a lot were really questionable?

Tell us about the "flag fest" last night. From what I heard, some were warranted, but a lot were really questionable?

I came away from the game last night disappointed! I paid my admission to see a rivalry game renewed. I am an individual that wants to see the best product put on the field win or loss for my team but to see the game plan laid out in the form of the kids playing their hearts out for 48 minutes of football and when the dust settles...The best team remains. But I saw a 3 hour 32 minute official blunder! Game started at 7 pm and did not end until right t 10:32 pm. It got to the point that you stop watching these kids play and your eyes focus on the officials going for the flags. Just so disappointed...that after all these years both these teams had something to play for tonight and it was overshadowed by poor officiating! MV got beat by Byrd last week and I don't think you'll find a fan one that would say there was a bad call in that game! That crew did a terrific job! But this crew looked like they may have been picked up last minute and given zebra stripes. Really poor!!! Hope no one else gets that crew! Good Luck to all teams out there and stay healthy!

That's exactly what I was hearing last night. Our game was away, a 45 minute drive home, and didn't KO until 7:30. And, I stopped on the way home to drop off my brother in law and was within a mile of my house when your game finished!

I hear even though there were a few calls against MV that ruffled some feathers, the officials were equal opportunity offenders? You will almost NEVER hear me criticize the officials, but from everything I'm hearing, this crew needs some remedial training.

45 penalties to be exact.. i mean i know its high school refs, and they will get it wrong every now and then, but that was ridiculous.. several pass interference calls that should have and should not have been called. Several roughing the passer, one which the QB still hadnt released the ball. Just glad MV stayed with it, because momentum shifted late in that game, and they were one big play from losing the lead.

I'm just glad nobody got tossed. That is a mandatory "sit out" for one game, two if for fighting.

On the opening kick-off one of the refs got run over on the sideline after a long return. He suffered a possible broken hip and the other refs seem to never recover after that. A lot of calls on both sides were very questionable, but with that being said I thought they called it kind of loose in the first half and when it started to get a little chippy in the 2nd half they started to flag everything that even looked like a penalty. Not one sided though, each side had their share of phantom calls. As far as the crowd, it was absolutely packed. Still long lines at both ticket booths half way through the 1st quarter. Probably the biggest crowd at Martinsville since state semi final game against Salem back in the late 90's.

Glad to hear about the crowd. But really saddened to hear about the ref. That's tough. I wonder if the officials association carries some type of insurance that helps them out while they are out of work from their regular jobs? Some type of Aflac type of coverage.

Seeing a fellow official carted off would sure rattle your nerves. I'll give them a free pass under the circumstances. I'm just glad it didn't get out of hand and one or more kids got ejected.

Did Scales play?

No. MV was without Chris Scales and their starting qb Perkins. Martinsville did not have either of their starting ilb's so neither team was at full strength. Was a very exciting game, a lot of big plays but just way to many penalties. No flow to the game what so ever

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I think this game had standing room only, it looked like the MV/MH rival of old when I use to play. My hats off to both teams for a physical and aggressive game, this is what you want to see from 2 rival schools. I do agree that there were way to many flags being tossed. I know that the calls were going both ways but come on let them play! I remember one drive in particularly that the QB from Martinsville got hit a couple times during the drive cleanly and they called roughing the passer. Since when in high school football can you not hit the QB, I got really upset about those calls! But on the other note, I am really glad that that both teams came out with no serious injuries and competed like the way they did. I was really impressed with the way that Martinsville is playing this season, they have really put in some work and can be a playoff contender in the 2A division. MV really impressed me with the backup QB in and the way they put together that win with backup players in there. MV has had some bumps early on in the season, so lets hope that they can get several wins going into district play and I hope that they are healthy the time they start playoffs. I am looking forward to MV making a good run in the playoffs and hopefully competing at an high level!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT