ADVERTISEMENT

On field responsibilities

RedPrideNation_RollPride

VaPreps All District
Oct 13, 2014
Quick question, who has the quarterback and his point of releasing a pass when he is moving towards the line of scrimmage? I have been told the white hat but that seems to be a stretch especially on a play that is close to the sideline away.

That depends on how many officials are in the crew. If there are five or fewer, it can be the referee or umpire because the side officials are downfield in coverage. In these mechanics, the umpire moves up to the ine of scrimage (or the edge of the expanded neutral zone) to rule on ineligibles downfield. He can assist. If I'm trailing a QB and I'll mark the spot mentally, then run to that spot and look at the box.

If there are six or seven offivials, then there are deep wings (a technical term) can cover deep coverage and the line judge can stay at the line of scrimmage to look across the field at the box and rule on an illegal forward pass or ineligible receiver downfield

Thanks and there were 5 officials. The white hat said it was his call and said he was looking at the point of reference as he walked to it, then to look back at the box. The issue I have is the line judge on that side is 2 yards from the play looking directly at the QB and never said anything.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT