ADVERTISEMENT

One of Coaches for Amherst

Great message and the truth!

The stories I could share from being on the sideline....oh boy!!!

Great message and the truth!

The stories I could share from being on the sideline....oh boy!!!

It's almost worse when you are in the stands when the "experts" start up.

Along those same lines are the rules experts in the stands. It's amazing how officials that spend the better part of their adult lives officiating football games are so inferior to the fans in the stands!

Reactions: gwb16
I know how that feels. You are in the right position and a guy 50 yards and has a horrid angle wants to debate a call. Just classic!

Better yet the fan calls out he only had one foot in bounds. No crap Sherlock. One thing i have learned an official always misses a call on someone every play. You van never please both sides and the best one yet. You cost us the game. Do what? You got smacked all over the field and were shutout. Such is life.

It's almost worse when you are in the stands when the "experts" start up.

Along those same lines are the rules experts in the stands. It's amazing how officials that spend the better part of their adult lives officiating football games are so inferior to the fans in the stands!

I was merely a photographer...and let me just say this much...without going into a long drawn out rant. Those kids on the sideline; they hear those "experts" howling in the stands. And some of the words thrown down from the top row are pretty harsh and they can have a negative impact. I've seen the faces of those young men (kids). Coaches are accustomed to it, they have thick skin. Kids haven't quite mastered the art of deflection yet. I called out a "fan" one night at Bailey Field in York Co., we were winning and had a pretty large lead, coach used the opportunity to run some plays that we hadn't run in game situations, we were playoff bound, time to work on some stuff, some didn't play out so well, Bozo in the stands starts ripping...I yelled up to him that "practice on Monday started at 3 PM sharp, don't be late". Of course he didn't show up...but even funnier was our HC got the biggest laugh out of it and the kids started dapping me up....

Sometimes it does get funny. At out first game in 2014, coming off of our championship year, we were in a dogfight with Monacan. We were so used to winning easily, the fans were getting on Coach Mills about the play calling, but lighthartedly. We were all carrying on about how much he forgot about coaching in just one year!

Reactions: gwb16 and wikki
Sometimes it does get funny. At out first game in 2014, coming off of our championship year, we were in a dogfight with Monacan. We were so used to winning easily, the fans were getting on Coach Mills about the play calling, but lighthartedly. We were all carrying on about how much he forgot about coaching in just one year!
It can be bad sometimes, but not only do you feel sorry for the players but the kids of the coaches that they are yelling about.

I agree. I'm not above saying something to an idiot running their mouth if I happen to know the parents, grandparents, or other family members of a player are hearing their crap. I think very few of the official's wives ever come to their games, but I did see a couple when we hosted playoff games. Same deal, I have no problem confronting a fool that is embarrassing the wife of an official.

Last edited:
I think I mentioned this to you or to the rest of the forum, I think the maddest I've ever seen Bleeding Navy was at an away football game at Prince George a year or two ago. Several Dinwiddie fans did not stand and be respectful for the presentation of the flag and the National Anthem.

I'll be the the first to fight for those peoples rights to do that, but I'll also be in line with Navy to tell them how big of a worthless piece of crap they are. He just couldn't afford the outcome of a confrontation that night. He has a family to feed. Beside, it would have given them what they wanted, a stage.

Great post by the Amherst coach, and not to burst anyone's bubble. But , there are a lot of bad coaches out there that could learn something from some really old steward of Football. I mean back before passing was allowed. Bleeding navy and Dinwiddie proud kind of guys . So old they remember when the stitches on the ball were bigger than the laces. But the coach made a nice video, but don't be fooled by all the coaches , thankful for the effort and the time they out in, but some are as good as you or I . Not directed to any certain coach or team, just a thought

Great post by the Amherst coach, and not to burst anyone's bubble. But , there are a lot of bad coaches out there that could learn something from some really old steward of Football. I mean back before passing was allowed. Bleeding navy and Dinwiddie proud kind of guys . So old they remember when the stitches on the ball were bigger than the laces. But the coach made a nice video, but don't be fooled by all the coaches , thankful for the effort and the time they out in, but some are as good as you or I . Not directed to any certain coach or team, just a thought
I agree and have always said that sometimes the coaches are not good role models and the players show it and then it is disrespectful. Kids need for the coaches to believe in them as well and I have heard otherwise from players.It doesn't always come from the stands. I had to share that with everyone because Dwayne is that kind of guy. Alonzo years ago was one of the best motivators for Amherst, he was under Abel.

I can agree to a certain degree....but I'd like to add that coaching stipends virtually amounts to abuse. When you compare the number of hours these guys commit to the kids versus the "pay"...they aren't doing it for fame or fortune. It's definitely for the love of the game and the kids. I can honestly say that I've never personally ran across a coach that genuinely didn't have good intentions. I know there have been reports otherwise....I think those are far, very far and very few between.

I can agree to a certain degree....but I'd like to add that coaching stipends virtually amounts to abuse. When you compare the number of hours these guys commit to the kids versus the "pay"...they aren't doing it for fame or fortune. It's definitely for the love of the game and the kids. I can honestly say that I've never personally ran across a coach that genuinely didn't have good intentions. I know there have been reports otherwise....I think those are far, very far and very few between.
And I agree with you to an extent. The really bad apples are truly a rare occurrence. I think the ones that we wonder about are those with a different view of "what is best for the kids", or a different belief of what is "setting a good example". This is the grey area. Maybe our moral compass is a little to one side or the other of their's?

Its a different day and time. I can name numerous coaches who I would have run through a brick wall for as a kid, but can only think I one who I thought was detrimental to the team.

I understand the need for motivation, but guidance and direction was much more important to me. I know I cant speak for everyone, but all I expected from a coach was his attention to making both the team and me better. Teach me the basics, but share techniques that will take me to the next level. Its amazing how many coaches struggle with this.

Most athletes are self-motivated, so being able to push the right button at the right time is an essential coaching tool. Sometimes it takes a butt chewing and sometimes it takes finesse.

I remember once being yelled at and drug through a mud puddle for not diving for a ball. Told my dad about it and he said "next time dive for the ball". In todays world the coach would be fired, but the reality was he was spot on. I made no effort on the play and screwed up. He did not hurt me at all and to this day I would dive through fire for the guy.

Coaches are a special breed and yes, poorly paid. Its the passion for the game and compassion for the players that keep them going. Give them a pat on the back and good job every once in a while. Just like players they need encouragement to fight the grind too.

Its a different day and time. I can name numerous coaches who I would have run through a brick wall for as a kid, but can only think I one who I thought was detrimental to the team.

I understand the need for motivation, but guidance and direction was much more important to me. I know I cant speak for everyone, but all I expected from a coach was his attention to making both the team and me better. Teach me the basics, but share techniques that will take me to the next level. Its amazing how many coaches struggle with this.

Most athletes are self-motivated, so being able to push the right button at the right time is an essential coaching tool. Sometimes it takes a butt chewing and sometimes it takes finesse.

I remember once being yelled at and drug through a mud puddle for not diving for a ball. Told my dad about it and he said "next time dive for the ball". In todays world the coach would be fired, but the reality was he was spot on. I made no effort on the play and screwed up. He did not hurt me at all and to this day I would dive through fire for the guy.

Coaches are a special breed and yes, poorly paid. Its the passion for the game and compassion for the players that keep them going. Give them a pat on the back and good job every once in a while. Just like players they need encouragement to fight the grind too.
Damn well stated Navy!!!

And I agree with you to an extent. The really bad apples are truly a rare occurrence. I think the ones that we wonder about are those with a different view of "what is best for the kids", or a different belief of what is "setting a good example". This is the grey area. Maybe our moral compass is a little to one side or the other of their's?
My varsity football coach at the prep school I went to was one of those bad apples. We had some very good players on our team, one even went on to play at UVA. Not to throw our coach under the bus, but we had some players who were just at this prep school to be the alumni and big time donor's entertainment. Our coach was way more concerned about wins and losses than he was SAT scores, character, integrity, and developing young men into productive citizens. We had some guys partaking in drugs and really anything that they were big enough to do. My problem was that the coach knew about it but was too concerned about his win/loss record to do anything about it. To a kid that's a signal that that type of behavior is acceptable. When an adult knows these things and no accountability or consequences are being set, the kid will continue to do whatever the hell they want to do. The kids see the coach as their friend and buddy. Our coach did those kids more harm than good because he should've been a mentor and made it known that these behaviors were not acceptable and wasn't becoming as young men. I recall that the one of the Hargrave Football Post Grad coaches stopped 2 of our better athlete after our game and told them that if they didn't get offered to consider coming there.. After that brief conversation between them I'll never forget that same coach asking one of my teammates "Are they high?" and that opportunity fell through. Now if that coach noticed that within that 1-2 min talk, you tell me a coach that's seen these kids for the past 2-3 hours couldn't?? Now, sometimes it's totally out of a coach's control to stop kids from smoking and drinking or whatever bad habits they have, but he can emphasize those behaviors should not be tolerated and have strict consequences if those rules are broken. If you're gonna jump on the coaches then the parents need to also be held accountable as well. I go to student athletes twitters and Facebook all of the time to see what type of kid they are before I put my name on them on these boards. Believe me, kids are in a bad shape as far as being led in the right direction.. Kids need tough love and guidance. This country is too politically correct. Not enough people jacking these knuckleheads up by the collar and making them do right. Kudos to this coach and all of the adults making sure that kids are doing the right things. It takes a village.

Last edited:
Yes, Hamspear there are bad coaches and no, poor pay is certainly is not an excuse. This may suprise some, Coach Willis White while at Patrick Henry was also head of the math department and taught calculus. He was a bear on the field and the classroom, but he produced leaders. Never saw or heard him say anything abusive, but he sure didnt fudge his words either.

Last edited:
Never mind , but let me ask you this . If a bad coach is getting paid way to little for his time, is he still a bad coach?
Yes. Short answer is yes. But you know it's way more complicated than that. I've been reading your posts for years, I know you know.

I should probably remind everyone, in the interest of full disclosure, I played at King William, for Roger Brookes. We won a lot of games, a whole lot, mountain of wins. Every member of those teams were treated the same way, everyday, whether it was on the field or in the halls and classrooms of KWHS. The expectations were always very high. We were expected to be pillars of the community and model students. No kid was above or below those expectations. There was tough love and there was praise. If you needed to be called a "big dummy"....you earned it...flagrant stupid foul on Friday night?...you were running wind sprints on Monday in front of the entire team, explaining WHY you put your selfish ways before the team. We had teachers of respect, for the game and more importantly respect for our opponents. Losses? You walked across the field like a man, shook hands and headed back to the locker room to regroup. We were expected to be students of the game and life. No exceptions. Essentially, my view on coaches and coaching staffs may be a bit skewed based on my high school experience. I'm man enough to own up to that. I've seen coaches struggle with W's and L's, but never missed the mark in molding kids into men. But of course, that was before PC police started killing society and giving EVERYONE trophies.

My varsity football coach at the prep school I went to was one of those bad apples. We had some very good players on our team, one even went on to play at UVA. Not to throw our coach under the bus, but we had some players who were just at this prep school to be the alumni and big time donor's entertainment. Our coach was way more concerned about wins and losses than he was SAT scores, character, integrity, and developing young men into productive citizens. We had some guys partaking in drugs and really anything that they were big enough to do. My problem was that the coach knew about it but was too concerned about his win/loss record to do anything about it. To a kid that's a signal that that type of behavior is acceptable. When an adult knows these things and no accountability or consequences are being set, the kid will continue to do whatever the hell they want to do. The kids see the coach as their friend and buddy. Our coach did those kids more harm than good because he should've been a mentor and made it known that these behaviors were not acceptable and wasn't becoming as young men. I recall that the one of the Hargrave Football Post Grad coaches stopped 2 of our better athlete after our game and told them that if they didn't get offered to consider coming there.. After that brief conversation between them I'll never forget that same coach asking one of my teammates "Are they high?" and that opportunity fell through. Now if that coach noticed that within that 1-2 min talk, you tell me a coach that's seen these kids for the past 2-3 hours couldn't?? Now, sometimes it's totally out of a coach's control to stop kids from smoking and drinking or whatever bad habits they have, but he can emphasize those behaviors should not be tolerated and have strict consequences if those rules are broken. If you're gonna jump on the coaches then the parents need to also be held accountable as well. I go to student athletes twitters and Facebook all of the time to see what type of kid they are before I put my name on them on these boards. Believe me, kids are in a bad shape as far as being led in the right direction.. Kids need tough love and guidance. This country is too politically correct. Not enough people jacking these knuckleheads up by the collar and making them do right. Kudos to this coach and all of the adults making sure that kids are doing the right things. It takes a village.
DSH....I have an insane amount of respect for you....well said young man.

Bingo gwb16! Nice realistic insight sir. I hope to meet you in a few short weeks.
I hope to as well, but I fear that I may miss the first round of your Generals vs my Packers. I'm staring straight down the barrel of shoulder replacement surgery. Had my MR Arthrogram yesterday and things are not looking too good for me. Arthritis has absolutely taken over the entire shoulder. Rotator cuff surgery from 23 years ago finally gave up, not looking forward to the surgery, but it's all I can to function day to day with the pain. I don't have a surgery date yet, but I'm not waiting until after football season is over...LOL!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Shoulder replacement surgery is NOT on the list of approved maladies that exempt you from football season. However, it is possible to apply for a temporary exemption.

Shoulder replacement surgery is NOT on the list of approved maladies that exempt you from football season. However, it is possible to apply for a temporary exemption.

Trust me brother, this isn't my preferred option. Nowhere near my first choice.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Play through the pain gwb. Navy Nation would never allow a fan to miss a game due to minor injury like a rotator cuff. A heart attack requires special permission and a doctors note. Short of ones death true Dinwiddie fans never receive a an excused absence. If you miss three in a season home/away we ban you for life.

To quote our fearless leader DP. If you are going to whine like a hound stay on the porch.

I should probably remind everyone, in the interest of full disclosure, I played at King William, for Roger Brookes. We won a lot of games, a whole lot, mountain of wins. Every member of those teams were treated the same way, everyday, whether it was on the field or in the halls and classrooms of KWHS. The expectations were always very high. We were expected to be pillars of the community and model students. No kid was above or below those expectations. There was tough love and there was praise. If you needed to be called a "big dummy"....you earned it...flagrant stupid foul on Friday night?...you were running wind sprints on Monday in front of the entire team, explaining WHY you put your selfish ways before the team. We had teachers of respect, for the game and more importantly respect for our opponents. Losses? You walked across the field like a man, shook hands and headed back to the locker room to regroup. We were expected to be students of the game and life. No exceptions. Essentially, my view on coaches and coaching staffs may be a bit skewed based on my high school experience. I'm man enough to own up to that. I've seen coaches struggle with W's and L's, but never missed the mark in molding kids into men. But of course, that was before PC police started killing society and giving EVERYONE trophies.
It's good hear that about Brookes. I saw some of his KW teams play and knew a few kids that played for him. I never heard anything positive about the man from the parents of those kids. Those kids played all the time, so it wasn't about playing time. If I remember correctly, he was forced out at KW so assumed the negative attitude towards him was deserved. I don't know the man at all but I do remember him winning a lot at KW. For him to stay in one place for 35 years, he must have been doing something right.

It's good hear that about Brookes. I saw some of his KW teams play and knew a few kids that played for him. I never heard anything positive about the man from the parents of those kids. Those kids played all the time, so it wasn't about playing time. If I remember correctly, he was forced out at KW so assumed the negative attitude towards him was deserved. I don't know the man at all but I do remember him winning a lot at KW. For him to stay in one place for 35 years, he must have been doing something right.
KW Country was spoiled by Coach Brookes' success. We won a lot. A whole lot. HE BUILT Cavalier football, he came from the enemy...West Point High...but he became a Cavalier at heart. HE was and will remain the face of KW Cavalier Football. The first few teams he coached in the 70's didn't enjoy much success, but he had a dream and a plan and by the late 70's KW was winning and we started winning a lot. Losing was never an option. When we put on that Black n Gold on Friday night, it NEVER occurred to us that we could possibly lose a game. We were always in better shape, faster and executed better than our opposition.
I heard the grumbling down here in Smithfield....one state title in 35 years and he was one of the winningest high school football coaches in the country. Fans didn't like "only one state title", they griped about his off season weight training program, they griped about his double wing and single wing offenses, called it boring, we called it explosive, in the mid 80's we scored AT WILL on darn near every opponent. I can't even begin to tell you how many times we into slow down mode because we were up by 45+ by halftime. My junior year, the starting defense wasn't scored on until the Regional Championship game. But we lost that game. We had games that lineman switched jerseys with RB's on the sideline in the 2nd half and laughed our fool heads off at our AD in the press box, who called our games as he tried to figure out who was running the ball. We hit hard. Every down. All night. Regardless of the score. We pushed each other to excel, because we didn't want to be "that guy" who disappointed the coaching staff or our teammates. We were a family, everyday, all day. In a lot of ways he was a victim of his own success. But no one better question that man's desire, integrity or football coaching skills. I will tell you that when teams beat us, they deserved the win, because on that night, they were better than us. But I seriously doubt that they were any better prepared than us. It was kind of funny to watch the opposing sideline during our few losses during my time at KW, they acted like they were just crowned Super Bowl champions.
When Coach Murray retired as our AD, there was a shift, a young fella came in, no ties to the community, no sense of loyalty to the staff that had been in place for years - a few minor tweaks over the years. He was influenced by disgruntled parents who didn't like the O and D, or the system he had in place that won all of those games...it's all good, the Hanover transplant got what he wanted, brought in his chum who used KW as a stepping stone to go back to PA to coach at his alma mater. That old "careful what you wish for" never rang more true. I'd fight til death for that man today, bad shoulder and all....

By the numbers: During his thirty-five years of service at King William High School he maintained a record of 257 wins, 126 losses and 4 ties. He earned sixteen district championships, four regional titles, and one state championship. His teams earned births into regional play during twenty-three seasons, and he was named coach of the year sixteen times. He ranks as one of the top 10 coaches with the most wins in Virginia High School League Football History.

Let 'em not like him...he was one of the most important men in my life during the most formative years of my life. I carry his mindset, never lose, always be prepared, never quit attitude in my like today 33 years after I last suited up for him....and the success that I have enjoyed in my career path, I give partial credit to him. Because I don't ever expect to lose.

And...as a side note, the only "cuss word" I ever heard uttered out of that man's mouth was "DAGNABBIT" and the worst term I ever heard him call a kid was his Fred Sanfordesque "YA BIG DUMMY"....I was a recipient of that once or twice...LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT