ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions on controversial call (video).

19GHS87

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 10, 2016
On the play linked below, the Graham player who delivered the block was called for "de-cleating". As a result of the call, a touchdown pass was taken off of the board and Graham was penalized from the spot of the foul and ended up with about 1st and 40. This was a huge turning point in the game and one of many controversial calls in this game. Just want opinions. Should the blocker have been penalized or was it a legitimate block? Click on the Bluefield High School Video after you click the link. Tell me what you think.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/8641710/Tre-Booker

On the play linked below, the Graham player who delivered the block was called for "de-cleating". As a result of the call, a touchdown pass was taken off of the board and Graham was penalized from the spot of the foul and ended up with about 1st and 40. This was a huge turning point in the game and one of many controversial calls in this game. Just want opinions. Should the blocker have been penalized or was it a legitimate block? Click on the Bluefield High School Video after you click the link. Tell me what you think.

Not sure where you are getting it to call it "de-cleating" penalty, but over past few years officials have had that type of play circled to throw a flag on a crack back on a defenseless man. And from the video being so far away cant really tell, but it also looks to be helmet to helmet contact. If both those were called it would result in loss of 30 yards

Reactions: 19GHS87
Looks like a good block as long as the one being blocked saw it coming. Players are no longer allowed to blindside block any longer. He definitely appeared to direct the impact to the other player's front.

He made contact with his shoulder & I didn't need to watch video I was almost sitting dead on where it occurred, about 35 yard line on Graham side. It was a clean block. WV officials always stink in WV/VA games. I did watch the video to affirm what I already knew by the way.

Looks like a good block as long as the one being blocked saw it coming. Players are no longer allowed to blindside block any longer. He definitely appeared to direct the impact to the other player's front.
Defenders get rewarded for lack of awareness now.

3 years ago, it’s legal.
But now, it’s not. It’s part of the new crack-back block crackdown that started a few years ago. He hit him from the side and launched. They’ll call it every time in today’s game.

its the 2nd video and the qb is scrambling. I agree with Ryan 3 years ago this is a good block, today its 15 yards

The block was from the side with the head and shoulder to the front. I don't think it's decleating. Decleating is mostly called for intentional or what is almost a designed crack back block, not for an offensive lineman with a scrambling QB. As officials, your always taught about any close or 50/50 type call that could go either way, you are taught to think about whether it effects the outcome of the play. Now, a hold is a hold and a clip is a clip and it doesn't matter how much time is left or the outcome of the play, the flag is thrown. But when you have a 50/50 call, officials are taught to consider context. In this context, the defender who was blocked had no chance to lay a hand or touch the Graham QB and it was 10 yds behind the line of scrimmage. In short, it in no way affected the outcome of the play and it was a 50/50 type call. That makes it a bad call.

I am trying to transfer the video feed I got and will post it on here soon, when I get permission. I will post a holding call against Graham on a bubble screen where Ahmad Bradshaw's son scored from about 80yds and that was called back. Looking at all ten players other than Graham's QB, there's almost no contact, not much engagement as the Graham OL allowed Bluefield to crash the backfield and the ball left the QBs hands less than 1 second after the snap, and a hold was called. That one stood out to me. There just simply wasn't a hold.

The block was from the side with the head and shoulder to the front. I don't think it's decleating. Decleating is mostly called for intentional or what is almost a designed crack back block, not for an offensive lineman with a scrambling QB. As officials, your always taught about any close or 50/50 type call that could go either way, you are taught to think about whether it effects the outcome of the play. Now, a hold is a hold and a clip is a clip and it doesn't matter how much time is left or the outcome of the play, the flag is thrown. But when you have a 50/50 call, officials are taught to consider context. In this context, the defender who was blocked had no chance to lay a hand or touch the Graham QB and it was 10 yds behind the line of scrimmage. In short, it in no way affected the outcome of the play and it was a 50/50 type call. That makes it a bad call.

I am trying to transfer the video feed I got and will post it on here soon, when I get permission. I will post a holding call against Graham on a bubble screen where Ahmad Bradshaw's son scored from about 80yds and that was called back. Looking at all ten players other than Graham's QB, there's almost no contact, not much engagement as the Graham OL allowed Bluefield to crash the backfield and the ball left the QBs hands less than 1 second after the snap, and a hold was called. That one stood out to me. There just simply wasn't a hold.
I was irrate about that one too. I was telling the folks that I was with that there was simply no time to hold on that play.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Without those two calls, Graham possibly comes out on top. We can rehash the game & calls all day long; the point being, the game may cost Graham home field in the playoffs which is unfortunate. Perhaps things will still shake out in the end.

Of course those of you that were there had a better view, but from this angle it certainly looks like a crack.

I don't know what was called, but I don't see how anyone could question that the hit was to his front/side.

Either way, no matter what they called it, it's not an egregious call from that video.

That’s what they call a blindside hit and that is what they are trying to get rid of doesn’t matter if in front they will throw that penalty every time or suppose to

Reactions: Ryan4VT and 19GHS87
Yeah that's illegal. 3 years ago, hype it up. Now player safety is #1. He can still block him though, just has to initiate contact with his hands and it's completely legal.

Reactions: obguthr and 19GHS87
VHSL changed the rules that’s an illegal block you must lead with your hands

These were WV referees. I’d say by VHSL rules the refs made the right call (even though I disagree with the rule). I guess we need to look up the rules in WV to know whether or not this call in this game was warranted.

These were WV referees. I’d say by VHSL rules the refs made the right call (even though I disagree with the rule). I guess we need to look up the rules in WV to know whether or not this call in this game was warranted.
They all follow the same NFHS Manuel

Reactions: eh31
Are Texas and California the only states that don't follow National Fed rules?

This call was made in a college game yesterday against Houston i believe.

The guy lowered his head. Even in this video you can see that. That is a penalty even if the guy came head on at him and waved at him to get his attention first.

Reactions: Ryan4VT
It wasnt an offensive lineman it was a running back who peeled back lead with his helmet, is leading with the helmet an ejection in high school football ?

It wasnt an offensive lineman it was a running back who peeled back lead with his helmet, is leading with the helmet an ejection in high school football ?

The Player wasn't ejected and the game was played in West Virginia, so not sure if the penalty warrants ejection or not.

Thanks for all of the replies. It looks like the general consensus is that it is a penalty and correctly called on the field. This game lasted until 11:00 p.m. with all of the penalties and conferences by refs, etc... Glad I could get some clarification on that one at least. Would love to see video of a bubble screen pass where there was a holding call and another call where a player stripped the ball from the opposing team, but the ball was given back. If I find anything on those 2, I'll post them and see what you all think.

Thanks again.

VA and WV go by the same rules. It’s a new flag (as of 2 years ago) across the entire country now minus a few select states.

Reactions: Rev_Real
Thats what I thought I heard the P.A. announcer say the penaltt was. Others were repeating it in the stands. Maybe a fancy word for laumching?

Thats what I thought I heard the P.A. announcer say the penaltt was. Others were repeating it in the stands. Maybe a fancy word for laumching?
I googled it. Urban dictionary says it's slang for hitting another football player so hard their cleats fall off. Still looked like a clean, hard block to me.

But I didn't see it as a crack back block either, I saw it as a legal block. Oh well.
He didn’t try to block with his hands. All he had to do was go in front and block with his hands and that’s legal. But he launched in from the side with his shoulder. It’s not dirty, it’s just illegal by today’s rules. Richlands got hit with it about 9 times the first year the rule changed.

Reactions: VolNation85

My personally opinion is that it is a good block but the NFHS rule states that — "A blindside block is an effective blocking technique. There is nothing improper in executing blindside blocks generally, and the rules do not preclude their use altogether. Instead, to enhance player safety and minimize the risk of injury, the rules prohibit a specific type of blindside block: one that is forceful, is not initiated with open hands and occurs outside the free-blocking zone. A blindside block is a foul if: (1) the block occurs outside of the free-blocking zone; (2) the blocker does not initiate the block with open hands; and (3) the block is forceful. If all three of these factors are present, the blindside block is illegal."

So by the rule, it is an illegal block because all three scenarios occurred on this play therefore the right call was made.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT