ADVERTISEMENT

PA warned in college games

VAHSFootballFan

VaPreps Rookie
Sep 8, 2017
I was listening to a college game on the radio. Maybe Marshall and NC State? Anyways, the referee stopped the game and warned the PA to stop playing music while the visiting team was in formation. Has a an official on here ever been involved in something similar or actually thrown a flag for it?

It happened in the Colorado game.

Never had an issue in one of my games because it's not a rule in high school. There is a rule about it in the VHSL handbook, but that's for administrators to handle, not officials. I have told PA guys they cannot be on the mic during a live ball. Some think they're supposed to call play-by-play over ther PA like they're calling in on the radio. Nope. I'm not allowing that because the PA might say something like "Fakes the handoff" or "... pitches back to the QB for a flea flicker...." or something else designed to fool the defense. Not having that. There's still no actual penalty other than what's decided by a district or the state based on administrators' reports.

As far as band noise, I love it. Play all you want. If someone has a problem with it, they need to tell the principal or AD.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I've had problems twice this season with recorded music being played from the press box. Both times was during a kick off. I waited for them to stop playing before blowing the ready for play whistle. Both times they did not. I hope they were smart enough to stop on the whistle but they were not. I killed the play, went to the home sideline and told the home coach to tell them to stop when I raised my hand. No problems after that. But yes, it's a growing problem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT