ADVERTISEMENT

Parry McCluer Evens Score With Riverheads

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
You could almost tell from the opening tip tonight that the Blues were still seething over their loss at Riverheads last Thursday and were determined to exact their revenge. They opened the game with a quick 9-0 spurt and got the crowd revved up, and although Riverheads had its chances to get back in the game, it was pretty much an All-Blues night as they won 59-44.

Once again it was the Hamilton/Mitchell show as each had several highlight reel plays, including a classic alley-oop that nearly tore the roof off the building. That occurred late in the first half and as the game progressed, things got more and more intense in the gym as both the PM fans and team seemed determine to see if Riverheads really bleeds red.

To be quite frank, the officials had trouble maintaining control of this one, and when that happens, both sides feel as if they are not getting the calls they deserve. To give a few examples, PM fans were calling on more than one occasion for intentional fouls to be called on the Gladiators and Big Red fans were incensed late in the game when they were positive that the officials missed a goal-tending violation against Hamilton. Things got so rowdy at one point that a trio of Buena Vista's finest made sure that everyone knew they were in attendance.

Speaking of the Blues 6'11" center, although he did play 200% better than he had at Riverheads on Thursday, he did ironically give the Gladiators their best opportunity to get back in the game. Midway through the third quarter, with PM leading by about 8-10, he was called for a foul and then hit with a technical for protesting the call. Those were his second and third fouls which sent him to the bench for a while.

Instead of the Gladiators being able to use that turn of events to their advantage, Mitchell instinctively took over and made a few athletic moves to build the PM lead back up. I did not hear any scores for PM, but I would not be surprised if he led the scoring tonight instead of Hamilton. The Blues also got more out of their supporting cast tonight, as Snider and one or two others had better games than they had at RHS.

Leading the Big Red scoring was Bennett Dunlap with 14, over half of which were scored in the final three minutes of the game. Levi Byer (AKA "Stretch") who is a full foot shorter than Hamilton but certainly did not back down from him, added 9 to the Gladiator cause, and as a pleasant surprise, junior guard Carter Mooneyham had an all-around good game and finished with 7 points. The Gladiators have four players averaging in double figures so far this young season, so on nights when he or someone else can add to that production, it makes the Big Red that much more balanced.

To summarize, the Blues evened the score and got the point across that they are indeed the state champs until dethroned, and they did it on pure intensity and adrenaline. It was one of those games where you just left the gym feeling glad that no one got hurt. For the Big Red, the best thing they can do is put this one in the rear view mirror and focus on their first Shenandoah District game, which will be Thursday when they travel to Fort Defiance.

All was not lost for Riverheads fans tonight as the JV boys remained unbeaten with a 46-30 victory over the Baby Blues. Patrick Buchanan verified that the bank was open in BV on a Tuesday night as he canned a three off the window to open the scoring and the Junior G'men led wire-to-wire, knocking down another handful of triples along the way.

While the two boys teams were involved in these hard-fought battles, the Lady Gladiators were home tonight to East Rockingham. As of this midnight report, I have not heard or read anything about how that turned out, but hopefully it was good news for them as they will open their Shenandoah season at home Thursday against the Lady Indians.

You could almost tell from the opening tip tonight that the Blues were still seething over their loss at Riverheads last Thursday and were determined to exact their revenge. They opened the game with a quick 9-0 spurt and got the crowd revved up, and although Riverheads had its chances to get back in the game, it was pretty much an All-Blues night as they won 59-44.

Once again it was the Hamilton/Mitchell show as each had several highlight reel plays, including a classic alley-oop that nearly tore the roof off the building. That occurred late in the first half and as the game progressed, things got more and more intense in the gym as both the PM fans and team seemed determine to see if Riverheads really bleeds red.

To be quite frank, the officials had trouble maintaining control of this one, and when that happens, both sides feel as if they are not getting the calls they deserve. To give a few examples, PM fans were calling on more than one occasion for intentional fouls to be called on the Gladiators and Big Red fans were incensed late in the game when they were positive that the officials missed a goal-tending violation against Hamilton. Things got so rowdy at one point that a trio of Buena Vista's finest made sure that everyone knew they were in attendance.

Speaking of the Blues 6'11" center, although he did play 200% better than he had at Riverheads on Thursday, he did ironically give the Gladiators their best opportunity to get back in the game. Midway through the third quarter, with PM leading by about 8-10, he was called for a foul and then hit with a technical for protesting the call. Those were his second and third fouls which sent him to the bench for a while.

Instead of the Gladiators being able to use that turn of events to their advantage, Mitchell instinctively took over and made a few athletic moves to build the PM lead back up. I did not hear any scores for PM, but I would not be surprised if he led the scoring tonight instead of Hamilton. The Blues also got more out of their supporting cast tonight, as Snider and one or two others had better games than they had at RHS.

Leading the Big Red scoring was Bennett Dunlap with 14, over half of which were scored in the final three minutes of the game. Levi Byer (AKA "Stretch") who is a full foot shorter than Hamilton but certainly did not back down from him, added 9 to the Gladiator cause, and as a pleasant surprise, junior guard Carter Mooneyham had an all-around good game and finished with 7 points. The Gladiators have four players averaging in double figures so far this young season, so on nights when he or someone else can add to that production, it makes the Big Red that much more balanced.

To summarize, the Blues evened the score and got the point across that they are indeed the state champs until dethroned, and they did it on pure intensity and adrenaline. It was one of those games where you just left the gym feeling glad that no one got hurt. For the Big Red, the best thing they can do is put this one in the rear view mirror and focus on their first Shenandoah District game, which will be Thursday when they travel to Fort Defiance.

All was not lost for Riverheads fans tonight as the JV boys remained unbeaten with a 46-30 victory over the Baby Blues. Patrick Buchanan verified that the bank was open in BV on a Tuesday night as he canned a three off the window to open the scoring and the Junior G'men led wire-to-wire, knocking down another handful of triples along the way.

While the two boys teams were involved in these hard-fought battles, the Lady Gladiators were home tonight to East Rockingham. As of this midnight report, I have not heard or read anything about how that turned out, but hopefully it was good news for them as they will open their Shenandoah season at home Thursday against the Lady Indians.
Longtimerhsfan, overall I agree with your summary of the game. From the tip this was a gritty rematch, with both teams playing physical from the jump. I agree the officials really “let ‘em play”, but I can’t say that was too much different than the game in Greenville almost a week ago.

The PM offense was clicking last night, after having two of their starters on the bench for most of the first matchup, as they stayed in foul trouble all night. If their offense continues to grow off of last nights performance, watch out. The most impressive swing from last week to last night was the the PM guards held Farris in close check, which isn’t an easy task, as he’s a great floor general and ball handler who commands attention when the ball is in his hands.

As far as officiating goes, I’d argue that both sides should be a little disgruntled. There was the questionable goal tend in the 4th and the technical on the PM big man early in the 3rd. But there were also some plays RHS squeaked away with a no call. There were two occasions where a RHS player was arguably deserving of a tech, one occurring as he argued a foul call and the other occurring when he hit the PM big man after being blocked on a 3 point attempt at the end of the game.

Lastly, RHS done a great job of containing the PM big man in both games, as they held him to 24 and 20 respectively this season. While your right that the RHS did a great job of applying pressure, I’d argued it was rarely a solo effort. The majority of his touches in both games were met with double and sometimes even triple teams, which the majority of Class A teams will have to do to contempt with his size.

Hopefully both teams remain healthy and continue to grow off of their early season success. This is a matchup the could be on a collision course for the tie breaker in Richmond.

Wow! I like your optimism. We will see how it all works out but in recent years, Riverheads has not been able to get past ANYONE in Region A. They dominate this half of the state in basketball just like we do in football. So it will be a tough road for the Big Red to make it to Richmond, but like I said, fun to think about!

Reactions: Mike777VSP
Wow! I like your optimism. We will see how it all works out but in recent years, Riverheads has not been able to get past ANYONE in Region A. They dominate this half of the state in basketball just like we do in football. So it will be a tough road for the Big Red to make it to Richmond, but like I said, fun to think about!
It should be a great post season. Ton of talented teams in Class A this year and some big name talents as well. Could be one of the most exciting divisions in the state.

Reactions: Mike777VSP
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT