ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Henry at Salem

SpartanOfYore

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 15, 2009
Patrick Henry of Roanoke will travel to Salem Stadium Friday evening to take on Salem, in a clash of 2-0 teams.

PH thus far has defeated Hidden Valley 14-6, and Blacksburg 56-0. Salem, in their first outing, likewise blanked Blacksburg 50-0, and four days later took down Christiansburg 35-13.

What are everyone's thoughts on this matchup? Without the usual preseason previews, I know almost nothing about PH. I do know that they have a very good mobile quarterback, probably one of the best in the area. I also know that that the Patriots almost always manage to find at least one or two receivers that give the Spartans headaches, at least in the last few years. Where PH usually seems thin talent-wise is on the lines. Looking at their results thus far, the Patriots' last minute win over Hidden Valley seems closer than expected. However, that score is very much in keeping with the HV-PH rivalry, which almost always sees close games that go down to the wire - and in which PH almost always pulls out the win. Obviously, PH beat Blacksburg a bit worse than Salem did. I'm not sure how much those scores tell us, other than that Blacksburg is in for a rough month of March.

I didn't see Salem's game with Blacksburg. I did see last week's game against Christiansburg, a substantially tougher opponent than the Bruins. Salem's running game still seems strong. Though it appears the offense hasn't gotten too fancy yet with much in the way of short and medium-range passes, receiver Shawn Collins has proven to be a serious deep threat. And Chauncey Logan gives Salem a viable dual run-pass threat at quarterback. Defensively, the Spartans' first-string unit has surrendered six points in two games thus far, as has PH's.

Patrick Henry will be trying to snap Salem's eight-game winning streak in the series, which overall stands 12-7-1 in favor of the Spartans. In the seven games played in the series since its resumption in 2013, Salem has scored fewer than forty points just twice, and has scored over fifty points on three occasions. The last three games have been wild and woolly affairs, high-scoring on both sides: 56-42, 42-21, and 51-34 in the last meeting at PH in 2019.

So - what do you all see happening between these two old rivals at Salem Stadium on Friday?

Last edited:
Reactions: Amgis
Patrick Henry of Roanoke will travel to Salem Stadium Friday evening to take on Salem, in a clash of 2-0 teams.

PH thus far has defeated Hidden Valley 14-6, and Blacksburg 56-0. Salem, in their first outing, likewise blanked Blacksburg 50-0, and four days later took down Christiansburg 35-13.

What are everyone's thoughts on this matchup? Without the usual preseason previews, I know almost nothing about PH. I do know that they have a very good mobile quarterback, probably one of the best in the area. I also know that that the Patriots almost always manage to find at least one or two receivers that give the Spartans headaches, at least in the last few years. Where PH usually seems thin talent-wise is on the lines. Looking at their results thus far, the Patriots' last minute win over Hidden Valley seems closer than expected. However, that score is very much in keeping with the HV-PH rivalry, which almost always sees close games that go down to the wire - and in which PH almost always pulls out the win. Obviously, PH beat Blacksburg a bit worse than Salem did. I'm not sure how much those scores tell us, other than that Blacksburg is in for a rough month of March.

I didn't see Salem's game with Blacksburg. I did see last week's game against Christiansburg, a substantially tougher opponent than the Bruins. Salem's running game still seems strong. Though it appears the offense hasn't gotten too fancy yet with much in the way of short and medium-range passes, receiver Shawn Collins has proven to be a serious deep threat. And Chauncey Logan gives Salem a viable dual run-pass threat at quarterback. Defensively, the Spartans' first-string unit has surrendered six points in two games thus far, as has PH's.

Patrick Henry will be trying to snap Salem's eight-game winning streak in the series, which overall stands 12-7-1 in favor of the Spartans. In the seven games played in the series since its resumption in 2013, Salem has scored fewer than forty points just twice, and has scored over fifty points on three occasions. The last three games have been wild and woolly affairs, high-scoring on both sides: 56-42, 42-21, and 51-34 in the last meeting at PH in 2019.

So - what do you all see happening between these two old rivals at Salem Stadium on Friday?
PH has Pedigo and Webb back at WR who both had good games against Salem last year but the guy that has the most potential to hurt Salem this year, I believe, is Sophomore Carmelo Taylor who transferred over from Cave Spring this year. He is 100% going to be a D-1 player and is very tough to handle. They also have Gavin McCormick at TE this year after being a starting WR last year and another threat.

Coach Fiddler does a great job drawing up offensive schemes against Salem every year. In the last three matchups PH has put up 34, 21 and 42 points, going back to 2017. Every year he seems to find a way to scheme some designs in the passing game that create complete coverage breakdowns in the Salem secondary and lead to receivers being wide open and they have also been successful with trick/gadget plays. Last year they had two different throwbacks to the QB that resulted in big plays and a few unique screens that had some promise. Speaking of the QB, Gunn IS the best QB in the area imo (I don't think it is really close) and looked fantastic last week, albeit against an outmatched Blacksburg team. They are also good with their quick screen game outside and can run the ball a little bit. While the entire Salem secondary returned this year (Although Logan is not playing much on defense) they flipped positions with the McDonald Twins now at safety and Collins/Logan/Greer at corner and had a few breakdowns against Christiansburg last week. One that resulted in a long touchdown pass which the first TD the starting defense has given up this year and another one that ended up being an incomplete pass but should have been another easy touchdown... both on the exact same play. This is also the first real spread team/pass-first team that Salem has played against this season.

The PH defense does look a bit better this year but it is hard to get a good gauge on that. They held Hidden Valley to one TD but HV did march inside the PH redzone on several other occasions and came up without points. Blacksburg put in a brand new offense against PH after losing their starting QB against Salem and actually had a decent amount of success running the ball in the first half but were unable to score any points.

Last edited:
Salem defensive backs need to be disciplined and not bite like they did versus Christiansburg.

I’d be interested in hearing from anybody who saw this game. Particularly, what happened to Salem’s office in the second half? I saw Coach Holter on the news, commenting that they failed to establish the run at the start of the third quarter. Did the Spartans move the ball at all after halftime? Looks like the Salem D played well all game in holding the Patriots to fewer than 20 points for the first time since 2016.

Zavione suffered a dislocation on his hand in the first series of the second half, that's what happened with the O. They did what they wanted to PH in the first half.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT