ADVERTISEMENT

PF penalties?

gymrat10

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 21, 2004
Do all (NFHS) unsportsmanlike personal fouls result in automatic first downs? Is there any scenario where it would not? Perhaps different types of PF?

There are actually very few automatic first downs in high school rules. Defensive pass interference and any foul containing the word "roughing," as in passer, kicker, snapper or holder. That's it for automatic first downs.

Other than that, the 15 yards usually results in a first down, but if not, it's replay the down (or next down, if it's a deadball foul.)

Also, unsportsmanlike fouls are not personal fouls -- they are completely different. Remember this: Anything that involves physical contact is a personal foul. Roughing penalty, bad tackling, late hit, cheap shot, etc. All involve a hit or a tackle.

An unsportsmanlike foul is a case of bad behavior that doesn't involve contact. excessive celebration or drawing attention to yourself, taunting, swearing at or threatening an opponent or an official.

Two unsportsmanlike fouls earns you the rest of the game off, by rule. Personal fouls have no two-flag maximum, but if deemed flagrant it only takes one.

So, if on first and goal from the five, for instance, following the play the defense is called for an unsportsmanlike act, the penalty would only be half the distance to the goal and it would be 2nd down?

Correct. Seems odd, but it's true.

If on 4th and goal from the 5 the defense screams insults of parenting and heritage and is flagged but stops the offense from scoring, it's half the distance from the end of the play and their ball.

Just the way it is.

No, even if the unsportsmanlike actions happen DURING the play (and really, how often is this the case?) it would be turned over on downs because ALL unsportsmanlike fouls (and non-player fouls) are treated as deadball fouls. They are penalized from the succeeding spot.

The only time I can think that this might come up would be taunting during a long run. The NCAA changed this rule in college, but the NFHS has not, so if a player breaks free on a long run and goes the last 30 yards running backward while pointing at the opponent's bench and making rude gestures with the ball, the TD still counts. And yes, I've seen that happen, once, and we would have loved to walk that off from the point of the foul but there was no way to do that.

Well that does seem a bit unusual, but that's a scoring play, I can see where you would not take the points away, but penalize after. If it's 4th and goal and during the play the defense is hurling expletives at the ball carrier (or anyone else) while bringing him down short of the goal line, the ball's still turned over on downs?

Rule 10-4-5, (although I'm sure you'll take my word for it) says all unsportsmanlike fouls are enforced from the succeeding spot. when a team tuen the ball over on downs, the succeeding spot is determined and team possession changes before the enforcement of the foul. I know it seems weird and terribly unfair in some instances, but that's how it is. I'm just happy to report it is something that happens very, very rarely.

Does seem odd, yes..thanks. Of course I'd take your word for it..not having to look it up is a main point of this forum..or should be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT