ADVERTISEMENT

Phoebus 23 Highland Springs 7 FINAL

Phoebus Fan

VaPreps All Region
Jul 12, 2003
Felt good coming into a game the underdog! Blunt had them boys prepared tonight. We knew what they liked to run and we shut it down. Highland Spring had to have like 40 yards and only 2 first down.

23-7 Phoebus

36 wins in a row

Felt good coming into a game the underdog! Blunt had them boys prepared tonight. We knew what they liked to run and we shut it down. Highland Spring had to have like 40 yards and only 2 first down.

23-7 Phoebus

36 wins in a row
Would love to see the complete stats of that game!!

Would love to see the complete stats of that game!!
Me too but the media is lacking, especially in Hampton, when it comes to HS box scores these days. I’m hoping Richmond area paper has them. It was a big game somebody has to have the stats

I do know the final team total yards was Phoebus 306 to Highland Springs 68

Actually shocked they had 68. That completion they had in the 4th must’ve been longer than i thought.

Last edited:
Highland springs isn’t the same program from 3/4 years ago. The rest of Richmond is catching up and the talent is more evenly distributed…still very formidable but they aren’t the best in the state anymore and might not be the best in the 804. Phoebus is the premier program outside of Maury in the 757 — 36 in a row and beating teams above they weight class (population size) the phantoms back.

Highland springs isn’t the same program from 3/4 years ago. The rest of Richmond is catching up and the talent is more evenly distributed…still very formidable but they aren’t the best in the state anymore and might not be the best in the 804. Phoebus is the premier program outside of Maury in the 757 — 36 in a row and beating teams above the weight class (population size) the phantoms back.
Well said. You would be very surprised at the people calling for a coaching change on that side of town. I wholeheartedly think those people are nuts. HS has had a hell of a run but the kids aren’t buying in like they once did. Johnson’s baby boy is a senior and LJ could be going to greener pastures soon… I think HS will be alright but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them lose to a Glen Allen (yup I said it) or Dale in the playoffs. The Richmond area is deep this year.

Got some more stats from the game

Total Yards
Phoebus - 306
Highland Springs - 68

Team Rushing totals
Phoebus - 194
Highland Springs - 4

Team Passing totals
Phoebus - 112
Highland Springs - 64

Highland Springs had 242 yards rushing week 1 vs Manchester

Total Yards
Phoebus - 306
Highland Springs - 68

Team Rushing totals
Phoebus - 194
Highland Springs - 4

Team Passing totals
Phoebus - 112
Highland Springs - 64

HS also has a VERY good RB who will play at the next level. That’s beyond impressive by the Phoebus defense.

Highland springs isn’t the same program from 3/4 years ago. The rest of Richmond is catching up and the talent is more evenly distributed…still very formidable but they aren’t the best in the state anymore and might not be the best in the 804. Phoebus is the premier program outside of Maury in the 757 — 36 in a row and beating teams above they weight class (population size) the phantoms back.
So now this is being said? lol EVERYBODY picked Highland Springs before the game and a lot by multiple TDs. Springs was just in the state title and lost by a TD without their best player. Highland Springs is still the best program in the 804 until proven otherwise and I don’t want to hear that they’re not because they lost to Phoebus.

I have zero doubt that Highland Springs is a very good football team and will win games and be a contender in D6 this year. Phoebus defense is just that good.

So now this is being said? lol EVERYBODY picked Highland Springs before the game and a lot by multiple TDs. Springs was just in the state title and lost by a TD without their best player. Highland Springs is still the best program in the 804 until proven otherwise and I don’t want to hear that they’re not because they lost to Phoebus.

I have zero doubt that Highland Springs is a very good football team and will win games and be a contender in D6 this year. Phoebus defense is just that good.
I knew the Phoebus defense was very sound. However, after spending the last hour and a half watching most of the game I quickly realized just how well coached and disciplined the Phantoms are. #0 gets behind the o line and waits patiently for a hole to pop into. The quarterback is very poised and makes great decisions. I especially enjoyed watching #52. He has a great motor and lays the wood on both sides of the ball.

Because of the Phoebus stifling defense it's really hard to tell how good the Highland Springs offense is. I will say the transfer QB from James River is not an upgrade from the backup that transferred to Varina. I thought the Springers defense looked good at times, but Phoebus had them well scouted.

In a nutshell on this night Phoebus had more talent, executed the game plan to perfection and did not beat themselves. It's going to take a special team to beat the Phantoms.

Can't argue against this at all. HSHS is very much still the standard in the 804 until proven otherwise. I don't think they will have much trouble until they get to Oscar Smith in the playoffs.

Can't argue against this at all. HSHS is very much still the standard in the 804 until proven otherwise. I don't think they will have much trouble until they get to Oscar Smith in the playoffs.
I hope you're right!! I will agree that what I saw last night, Phoebus' defense IS that good!!

I knew the Phoebus defense was very sound. However, after spending the last hour and a half watching most of the game I quickly realized just how well coached and disciplined the Phantoms are. #0 gets behind the o line and waits patiently for a hole to pop into. The quarterback is very poised and makes great decisions. I especially enjoyed watching #52. He has a great motor and lays the wood on both sides of the ball.

Because of the Phoebus stifling defense it's really hard to tell how good the Highland Springs offense is. I will say the transfer QB from James River is not an upgrade from the backup that transferred to Varina. I thought the Springers defense looked good at times, but Phoebus had them well scouted.

In a nutshell on this night Phoebus had more talent, executed the game plan to perfection and did not beat themselves. It's going to take a special team to beat the Phantoms.
I believe Highland Springs is very talented offensively honestly. They were just out coached and out executed Friday night.

Springs QB did look suspect at times but Phoebus gave him a lot to think about.

I dont think HSHS is historically good this year like some years in the past but possibly Phoebus is, which is scary considering their how many other state titles. Too early to know on both statements just yet but with that being said…. I have to admit I was surprised how Phoebus dominated HS. I am sure HS will bounce back and be in the conversation in their class. After seeing Huguenot yesterday, I’d say class 4 is a 3-4 horse race. Phoebus is the defending champ and after a win like this proves they well deserving of the number 1 ranking.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
I dont think HSHS is historically good this year like some years in the past but possibly Phoebus is, which is scary considering their how many other state titles. Too early to know on both statements just yet but with that being said…. I have to admit I was surprised how Phoebus dominated HS. I am sure HS will bounce back and be in the conversation in their class. After seeing Huguenot yesterday, I’d say class 4 is a 3-4 horse race. Phoebus is the defending champ and after a win like this proves they well deserving of the number 1 ranking.
I don’t know what historically good is but I’ve seen Springs, Huguenot, Dinwiddie, and Varina this year and I’d say Springs is the best team of the 4. Just my opinion though I’m sure yall know the behind the scene things that can influence the prediction changes

I don’t know what historically good is but I’ve seen Springs, Huguenot, Dinwiddie, and Varina this year and I’d say Springs is the best team of the 4. Just my opinion though I’m sure yall know the behind the scene things that can influence the prediction

I don’t know what historically good is but I’ve seen Springs, Huguenot, Dinwiddie, and Varina this year and I’d say Springs is the best team of the 4. Just my opinion though I’m sure yall know the behind the scene things that can influence the prediction changes
Comparing this years HS team with HS teams of the past. Same thing for Phoebus, which likely makes you most qualified to answer. Could this years Phantoms squad be better than last year or even better than some of the past teams. I realize there is no way to measure just find that convo interesting to think about.

Yes, the only thing we know for sure is that Phoebus is convincingly better than HS at this point in the season. I don’t know if Dinwiddie is better or not this year vs last. Huguenot, IMO will be better this year but they are still very young. Springs may be the best of that bunch, IDK. Varina plays Springs and Dinwiddie, Hug, and Varina have to see each other in regionals so we will surely find out soon.

Comparing this years HS team with HS teams of the past. Same thing for Phoebus, which likely makes you most qualified to answer. Could this years Phantoms squad be better than last year or even better than some of the past teams. I realize there is no way to measure just find that convo interesting to think about.

Yes, the only thing we know for sure is that Phoebus is convincingly better than HS at this point in the season. I don’t know if Dinwiddie is better or not this year vs last. Huguenot, IMO will be better this year but they are still very young. Springs may be the best of that bunch, IDK. Varina plays Springs and Dinwiddie, Hug, and Varina have to see each other in regionals so we will surely find out soon.
I can say without a doubt that talent wise this year’s team isn’t better than 2022 or 2023 team because the talent on this team is the left overs from those teams. There’s no Jordan Bass like 22 and no Reddick and Stephenson like 23. The strength of this year’s defense is the back 7 when it’s mainly been the front 4 the past two years. Honestly last year was the year I thought we would’ve took a L because the offense was not hitting until very late in the season.

Don’t take what was said out of context this isn’t the same HSHS team which won nearly 4 straight titles. They still are good and better than most but you’re beginning to see the rest of the 804 teams gaining ground / having players stay home instead of going to the dominant program which is winning. Great win on the road for Phoebus but let’s be honest with ourselves talent goes in cycles … same way Phoebus has a couple of lean years between the 4 peat in the 2010ish range and the current streak. I’m just stating what I saw but to each their own with their observations.

You wild’n big dawg 😂 HS isn’t better than Huguenot and I got Varina over HS when they play in November. Maury is gonna do the same thing that Phoebus did to HS on Friday. This is a down year for the Springers.

You wild’n big dawg 😂 HS isn’t better than Huguenot and I got Varina over HS when they play in November. Maury is gonna do the same thing that Phoebus did to HS on Friday. This is a down year for the Springers.
We shall see. My problem with the whole “Hs ain’t that good this year” thing is they were predicted by everyone to beat a 3 time defending state champ returning 16/22 starters, and most had them predicted to win easily. Now they lost and I’m hearing talks that they aren’t that good this year, but this time last week some had them beating Phoebus by 21 smh. Even majority of 757 picked Highland Springs big.

I’m not saying you said the original predictions but i really wish people would keep the same energy because Springs will not look like they did Friday night against no one else besides maybe Maury. And even against Maury i expect their offense to look better. Maury will out score them for sure but they will not do the same thing Phoebus did. Springs was held to 4 rushing yards and 2 first downs for the game.

Last edited:
Don’t take what was said out of context this isn’t the same HSHS team which won nearly 4 straight titles. They still are good and better than most but you’re beginning to see the rest of the 804 teams gaining ground / having players stay home instead of going to the dominant program which is winning. Great win on the road for Phoebus but let’s be honest with ourselves talent goes in cycles … same way Phoebus has a couple of lean years between the 4 peat in the 2010ish range and the current streak. I’m just stating what I saw but to each their own with their observations.
My point is this wasn’t the general observation until Phoebus beat them. It’s unfair to really judge Springs off of Friday. They are a way better team than Phoebus made them look. And you’re right about the lean years but at Phoebus it was really a destroy and rebuild process that Blunt successfully pulled off. This defense most likely won’t be scored on until deep into the playoffs like the last two years.

We shall see. My problem with the whole “Hs ain’t that good this year” thing is they were predicted by everyone to beat a 3 time defending state champ returning 16/22 starters, and most had them predicted to win easily. Now they lost and I’m hearing talks that they aren’t that good this year, but this time last week some had them beating Phoebus by 21 smh. Even majority of 757 picked Highland Springs big.

I’m not saying you said the original predictions but i really wish people would keep the same energy because Springs will not look like they did Friday night against no one else besides maybe Maury. And even against Maury i expect their offense to look better. Maury will out score them for sure but they will not do the same thing Phoebus did. Springs was held to 4 rushing yards and 2 first downs for the game.
Go back and look at who I chose in pick em. I wasn’t one of them people and I knew yall would beat them by 2+ scores. HS isn’t the HS of old. That’s not taking anything away from y'all, they just don’t have an offensive identity. @rainman17 hit the hammer on the nail perfectly. Dinwiddie, Dale, Huguenot and I’d even say Varina is better than HS this year.

Reactions: rainman17
Losses over past 4yrs
- Stone Bridge 2x (state champs 2021 spring & fall season)
- Chambers (2021 NC Runner ups)
- Martinsburg (2021 WV state champs)
- Varina (2021 4A state champs)
- Freedom (2023 6AChamps)
- Maury (2023 5AChamps)
- Phoebus (reigning 3time Champ)

Everytime highland springs lose there’s this big overreaction as if all their losses from past 4yrs haven’t been against teams that either won or competed in a state championship
Nah, they lost a lot last year big homie. They were still very much ehhh at times last year. Henley and Braxton made them go and they had a 4 year starter at QB. Those guys are long gone.

Go back and look at who I chose in pick em. I wasn’t one of them people and I knew yall would beat them by 2+ scores. HS isn’t the HS of old. That’s not taking anything away from y'all, they just don’t have an offensive identity. @rainman17 hit the hammer on the nail perfectly. Dinwiddie, Dale, Huguenot and I’d even say Varina is better than HS this year.
I just remember last week you had Springs # 3 in the state and Phoebus at 5 🤷🏿‍♂️🤷🏿‍♂️🤷🏿‍♂️

How they go from top 3 in the state to #5 in 804 in a week?

I just remember last week you had Springs # 3 in the state and Phoebus at 5 🤷🏿‍♂️🤷🏿‍♂️🤷🏿‍♂️

How they go from top 3 in the state to #5 in 804 in a week?
Highland Springs also beat another solid C6 program, who is also down this year, by 35 during week 1. Phoebus didn’t play but still got my top 5 respect 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️. Of course I’d rank Highland Springs and Dinwiddie over y’all after dominating two playoff teams the way that they did and Phoebus hadn’t even played yet. My poll would look very different this week.

Total Yards
Phoebus - 306
Highland Springs - 68

Team Rushing totals
Phoebus - 194
Highland Springs - 4

Team Passing totals
Phoebus - 112
Highland Springs - 64

Dominant game!

Highland Springs also beat another solid C6 program, who is also down this year, by 35 during week 1. Phoebus didn’t play but still got my top 5 respect 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️. Of course I’d rank Highland Springs and Dinwiddie over y’all after dominating two playoff teams the way that they did and Phoebus hadn’t even played yet. My poll would look very different this week.
Let me chime in. I think this is a very fair observation. I just think it's way too early in the season to say who's having a down year when it comes to the elite programs. What would be the reaction if and when Loren Johnson turns this thing around and HSHS is playing in mid December? People are pushing the panic button on Springs the same way they were pushing the panic button on Phoebus when they played in that scrimmage vs Maury. Champions build off adversity. Phoebus did that after getting embarrassed by Oscar Smith in 2021 and I expect Springs to do the same. They're a proven program with more of less talent. Great coaching and culture with championship proper
Pedigree.

Going from top 3 in entire state to 5th best in 804 in one week only makes sense if they lost to a scrub team…they didn’t. We can revisit this when they finish 8-2 and make a state title push. I just feel like people switched up on Springs because nobody was talking this down year stuff until the Phoebus loss.

Reactions: edwinanderson2nd
Let me chime in. I think this is a very fair observation. I just think it's way too early in the season to say who's having a down year when it comes to the elite programs. What would be the reaction if and when Loren Johnson turns this thing around and HSHS is playing in mid December? People are pushing the panic button on Springs the same way they were pushing the panic button on Phoebus when they played in that scrimmage vs Maury. Champions build off adversity. Phoebus did that after getting embarrassed by Oscar Smith in 2021 and I expect Springs to do the same. They're a proven program with more of less talent. Great coaching and culture with championship proper
Pedigree.
I think you can check my track record dating back to last year stating that the Springers weren’t on the same level as they’ve been in their championship years and they still had their studs, mentioned above. I still believe that Varina was a much more complete team than they were last year but. Its in the archives. I’m a firm believer that they’ll be in contention this November but that’s because C6 isn’t exactly 5C or 4B regions 🤷🏽‍♂️. People act like I’m calling them trash or sorry…

Reactions: PHSBlue&Gold
Going from top 3 in entire state to 5th best in 804 in one week only makes sense if they lost to a scrub team…they didn’t. We can revisit this when they finish 8-2 and make a state title push. I just feel like people switched up on Springs because nobody was talking this down year stuff until the Phoebus loss.
You talk about big homie embarrassing Phoebus but you’re going back and forth about some rankings that a random made on the net. Just my opinion. You’re better than that OG. Good thing Northern Illinois ain’t pay attention to the “real experts” last weekend. You and I both know that rankings don’t mean a thing. Phoebus has the best win in C4 and whether HS is down or turns out to be the C6 champs, it’s hard to win over there.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT