ADVERTISEMENT

Phoebus 43 Heritage 0 Final

Phoebus Fan

VaPreps All Region
Jul 12, 2003
Through 4 games Phoebus is out scoring opponents 172-6. Jordan Bass is a very special player. He has been very dominant in all 3 phases of the game so far this year. Pittsburgh got a stud.

I’m sure Denbigh will forfeit game next week and i would’ve loved to finally seen the boys on a Friday night. Seems like every year we get all the Thursday and Saturday games.

Is Phoebus playing OS again this year? They need a real hard contest like that game going into the playoffs again.

Last edited:
At this point, I'm not even thinking about Smith. We have to improve our focus especially on offense. Too many big plays being wiped away due to penalties. And this particular officiating crew are simply not fans of the Phoebus program whatsoever. They're the only crew that Phoebus repeatedly gets 15-20 penalties called on them every time this crew officiates their games. They officiated the Woodside/Phoebus game in 2019 when there were nearly a combined 40 penalties called in that game and that game was for the District title. They also called the Phoebus at Warwick game and that was flag fest. Whenever I go the games I check to see who's officiating the game. If I see that same crew, I head right back to my car like I did today.

At this point, I'm not even thinking about Smith. We have to improve our focus especially on offense. Too many big plays being wiped away due to penalties. And this particular officiating crew are simply not fans of the Phoebus program whatsoever. They're the only crew that Phoebus repeatedly gets 15-20 penalties called on them every time this crew officiates their games. They officiated the Woodside/Phoebus game in 2019 when there were nearly a combined 40 penalties called in that game and that game was for the District title. They also called the Phoebus at Warwick game and that was flag fest. Whenever I go the games I check to see who's officiating the game. If I see that same crew, I head right back to my car like I did today.
The Warwick game was a joke. One drive there was a flag thrown on every play. I'm not sure about penalties in the Heritage game but if that was the same crew in the Warwick game they need to go to Gosnold Hope Park and referee games. Phoebus will get better I believe as the season go on. Hopefully there is a fair crew officiating the OS games because it will be hard to overcome flags and be victorious in that game. Oh yeah, LT is better than lastyear. They have talent and played Maury close until the the middle of the 3rd Qtr. Come playoff time I think they will be better. They can run it, throw it and they play decent defense from what I saw.

The Warwick game was a joke. One drive there was a flag thrown on every play. I'm not sure about penalties in the Heritage game but if that was the same crew in the Warwick game they need to go to Gosnold Hope Park and referee games. Phoebus will get better I believe as the season go on. Hopefully there is a fair crew officiating the OS games because it will be hard to overcome flags and be victorious in that game. Oh yeah, LT is better than lastyear. They have talent and played Maury close until the the middle of the 3rd Qtr. Come playoff time I think they will be better. They can run it, throw it and they play decent defense from what I saw.
Yeah, they're much better than last year. They will be heard from come playoff time. Phoebus, Lake Taylor, and Lafayette will be the top 3 seeds in Region 3A as far as I'm concerned. All three have championship pedigree so it will be very interesting. I have to drop Hopewell from the Big 3 based on what I've seen from them so far. They may be a 5th or 6th seed behind either Norcom or York.

When the schedule was being made we tried to drop Denbigh from our schedule, but they told VHSL that they would play us only to forfeit again for second straight season. Covid really opened the door for this quitting nonsense.

Have you observed the crew ref other games? It might not be that they don't like Phoebus but call the game a certain way

Have you observed the crew ref other games? It might not be that they don't like Phoebus but call the game a certain way
Good point, however I personally know the back story from a good friend who's an official that participates in the Peninsula District officials meetings every week. Phoebus has been a heavy topic of discussion since the incident in which some former players stole some items from the Battlefield players' lockers during the state championship in 2010. Being that it was a doubleheader both schools had to share the lockeroom. A couple of the Phantom players decided to have sticky fingers and got caught and was punished by the coaches, admin staff, and also VHSL placed them on probation for an extensive amount of time. Every since then, this particular crew has been keeping a closer eye on Phoebus instead of the games. Phoebus will always have twice as many penalties as the opponents. I have seen a ref educate Coach Blunt on what they're looking for and he addressed the team and they adjusted but the officials still continued calling the same penalties.

Reactions: SFUWO
With Bethel too? Ive never seen anything like that from a Championship Caliper team. Its hard to believe they were holding every play.
I didn’t get a chance to watch Bethel game in depth. But in the Warwick game it was a particular lineman that had to get coached up. I know he was a lot better in Heritage game.

Good point, however I personally know the back story from a good friend who's an official that participates in the Peninsula District officials meetings every week. Phoebus has been a heavy topic of discussion since the incident in which some former players stole some items from the Battlefield players' lockers during the state championship in 2010. Being that it was a doubleheader both schools had to share the lockeroom. A couple of the Phantom players decided to have sticky fingers and got caught and was punished by the coaches, admin staff, and also VHSL placed them on probation for an extensive amount of time. Every since then, this particular crew has been keeping a closer eye on Phoebus instead of the games. Phoebus will always have twice as many penalties as the opponents. I have seen a ref educate Coach Blunt on what they're looking for and he addressed the team and they adjusted but the officials still continued calling the same penalties.
Kids are definitely going to make poor decisions. They were punished properly for the decision they made and this should have no bearing on the current players and staff. The refs need to keep their personal feelings away from the game. If they are not able too that crew should block working Phoebus games.

Reactions: fattyhawk2013
With Bethel too? Ive never seen anything like that from a Championship Caliper team. It’s hard to believe they were holding every play.

Ok I’m seeing exactly what you were complaining about today in this Hampton game. It should be like 42-0 Phoebus right now but refs are controlling games with bogus calls and it’s only 21-0.

Ok I’m seeing exactly what you were complaining about today in this Hampton game. It should be like 42-0 Phoebus right now but refs are controlling games with bogus calls and it’s only 21-0.
Questionable calls, yes but Phoebus played flat. They didnt make any adjustments for the blitz. No slip screens, no slants. Just very vanilla. Its been two weeks so maybe that hurt them. They have more weapons than Bass. They have to gind ways to get the other guys the ball in space. This version of phoebus wouldnt look gd against Oscar Smith and would struggle with Woodside. Im always pulling for the guys but im a realist. The team to watch in 3A is Lake Taylor in my view point. Phoebus can run it bck but they gotta improve...

Through 4 games Phoebus is out scoring opponents 172-6. Jordan Bass is a very special player. He has been very dominant in all 3 phases of the game so far this year. Pittsburgh got a stud.

I’m sure Denbigh will forfeit game next week and i would’ve loved to finally seen the boys on a Friday night. Seems like every year we get all the Thursday and Saturday games.
21-0 against Hampton? Other schools dragged the Crabbers with 40+. Did Phoebus sit their starters?

21-0 against Hampton? Other schools dragged the Crabbers with 40+. Did Phoebus sit their starters?
No Phoebus not playing in 2 weeks showed. Played down to level of competition today. Suspect play calling first couple drives and keying in on one WR whole game stopped a lot of drives…not to mention what seemed like a holding call on every big play Phoebus had. Move on and correct the bs in practice.

No Phoebus not playing in 2 weeks showed. Played down to level of competition today. Suspect play calling first couple drives and keying in on one WR whole game stopped a lot of drives…not to mention what seemed like a holding call on every big play Phoebus had. Move on and correct the bs in practice.
Well, if that happens during the playoffs we will see a team that can not only block Phoebus but beat them pretty soundly as well. Pretty sad performance considering who has torn Hampton up this year.

No Phoebus not playing in 2 weeks showed. Played down to level of competition today. Suspect play calling first couple drives and keying in on one WR whole game stopped a lot of drives…not to mention what seemed like a holding call on every big play Phoebus had. Move on and correct
Agreed

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT