ADVERTISEMENT

Phoebus Vs LCA - the game we all wanted

Class 3 Championship Phoebus 14 Liberty Christian 14 - 8:06 4thQ

Class 3 Championship FINAL: Phoebus 22 Liberty Christian 14

Tears of joy! The scrutiny this Phoebus program has had to endure since 2012. The probation stipulations, the coming up short in the big games, losing to teams that we had no business losing to. I'm proud for Coach Jeremy Blunt because he had to shoulder all the disappointments time after time. I couldn't be more proud of a Phoebus team than now especially to do it against a powerful private school juggernaut in LCA. Liberty Christian, Coach Rocco, Zach Rice, Davis, Jaylin, Dillon, etc... you all have nothing to be ashamed of. You guys were a class act. 👏. Thank you to Oscar Smith for the tough lesson! It really prepared the kids for this moment. And to all those that had LCA winning by a big margin 👀. Thank you Phoebus Phantoms 2021 Class 3 State Champions!

Congrats to Phoebus on a great defensive game. Shame more fan support didn’t show up. I saw on NHFS maybe 75 fans in the stands.

CONGRATULATIONS to the 3A State Championship football team..the 2021 Phoebus Phantoms! (Photo taken by Clarence "Skip" Perry)
@HamptonCSchools
FGXcgUoXsAYeC5x

There is absolutely no doubt that lca is strong at all positions. They hand picked a lot of the top talent in Lynchburg and basically put together an area all star team. There is a lot of talent in the Lynchburg area so not at all surprised that they are as good as they are. What surprises me is that they haven’t won a state title with this group before this year. How in the world is this the only year they “may” win a title with the talent they have. I have no idea if it’s fact but I’ve heard they may reclassify after this year although I’m not sure what level they may move to. Seems like they write whatever rules they want to go by and tell the vhsl what they are going to do if that’s the case. I hope Phoebus plays their top level game. I believe it will take it to win.
Perfect statement

Reactions: gwb16
Congrats and thank you Phoebus from Seminole district fans. You guys played some great d today.

Don't even entertain that hater from Lafayette. He was probably hoping LCA would beat us by 30 the entire time! He complained about Phoebus living off pick sixes, now the fan support, he even picked LCA by a field goal (knowing he was thinking more like 30). His card has been pulled on here. He and the Rams need to go and polish that Covid plaque they won in the spring because they won't see another one no time soon.

man Lafayette been more than supportive. If you watch the NFHS broadcast it looks like Phoebus had 30 fans. It was an honest observation.

Congratulations to Phoebus for winning the championship! I was torn on who to cheer for because I graduated from LCA many years ago, and my friend graduated from Phoebus many, many years ago. (Dig because he's older) The LCA I graduated from was Lynchburg Christian on Thomas Rd, now it's Liberty Christian on Candler's Mtn Rd. When I graduated there were probably around 225 kids in the HS, now there are 3x that. They used to play games on Fri afternoon at a non-descript field across from a hotel, now they play on Fri nights in a huge college stadium. When I went to school there they played military schools and other small private schools. (North Cross was their main football rival) I like that they play local Seminole teams now in all sports, but I don't think they should be competing in the VHSL if they're not playing by the same rules. That's just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Phoebus defense with 3 picks, 2 for pick sixes, watched on NFHS. Great effort, LCA hype maybe a little over rated.
Just finished watching this game today. Definitely was not over hyped. Phoebus earned the win but it definitely was not easy.

Reactions: gwb16
Just finished watching this game today. Definitely was not over hyped. Phoebus earned the win but it definitely was not easy.
Yeah it wasn’t easy but it wasn’t hard neither. Phoebus should’ve been up 28-7 at halftime and left another TD on the field in second half but in titles games you’re just happy with the win. Heard all this talk about LCA and their explosive offense and outside of a scripted first drive they did nothing to put any fear in Phoebus.

LCA fans thought Phoebus would be blown out. Instead they won and led from the end of the 1st qtr on LCA's home field. LCA has never saw what Phoebus could bring before but they found out even with the rain pouring, which was suppose to favor LCA. Phoebus just match thier physicality with discipline, athleticism and speed. Good job Phantoms. All the LCA fans and pundits ate crow and now are nowhere to be found.

Reactions: SFUWO
Yeah it wasn’t easy but it wasn’t hard neither. Phoebus should’ve been up 28-7 at halftime and left another TD on the field in second half but in titles games you’re just happy with the win. Heard all this talk about LCA and their explosive offense and outside of a scripted first drive they did nothing to put any fear in Phoebus.
As a neutral fan watching the game. I wouldn't say it was easy for Phoebus. Tie game late in the 4th. LCA breaks a long run for a TD that gets called back for a penalty. Then LCA throws the pick 6. Seems like a tough game to me.

Reactions: CHUKNOW and gwb16
As a neutral fan watching the game. I wouldn't say it was easy for Phoebus. Tie game late in the 4th. LCA breaks a long run for a TD that gets called back for a penalty. Then LCA throws the pick 6. Seems like a tough game to me.
How tough the game was is irrelevant. The fact remains that Phoebus beat LCA on their home field for the State Championship.

These are the games Phoebus has put themselves in several times this season. See the Hampton and Hopewell games. Offensive playcalling got spotty in those games too but the defense was still clicking. That TD that was called back had legit 3 holds on the play. Phoebus was locking everything up that LCA tried. Qb was scared to throw and after being hit LCA won’t running as hard.

I still want to know why they get the ball back with over 3 minutes on clock down 8 and just waste time. I’m telling you LCA got defeated yesterday once they figured out Phoebus was tougher.

Tears of joy! The scrutiny this Phoebus program has had to endure since 2012. The probation stipulations, the coming up short in the big games, losing to teams that we had no business losing to. I'm proud for Coach Jeremy Blunt because he had to shoulder all the disappointments time after time. I couldn't be more proud of a Phoebus team than now especially to do it against a powerful private school juggernaut in LCA. Liberty Christian, Coach Rocco, Zach Rice, Davis, Jaylin, Dillon, etc... you all have nothing to be ashamed of. You guys were a class act. 👏. Thank you to Oscar Smith for the tough lesson! It really prepared the kids for this moment. And to all those that had LCA winning by a big margin 👀. Thank you Phoebus Phantoms 2021 Class 3 State Champions!
I had the privilege of meeting Coach Blunt and his staff this past weekend. They all seem like great leaders and role models for the students of Phoebus. Congratulations to the school and community.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT