ADVERTISEMENT

Pick em Playoffs Week 1 Comments

I don't know who will win Skyline-Independence. But whatever the over-under is, bet the OVER!

Reactions: Rev_Real
im with you there gilbert who was my coach at warren county for the 03 and 04 seasons will have them ready to go im picking them to beat independence and then give goochland a dog fight next round

Well, Hawks beat them last year, but that was Indy's first game, and they had no seniors in their school. Both teams still high scoring. Goochland still very good, but they don't have as many explosively fast players as last year.

From Louisa Lions Athletics twitter:

King George won the VHSL tiebreaker, which earned them the right to host the semifinal football game as the #2 seed in Region 4B. More information to come... #PR1DE https://t.co/Ur6OQW4Hbr

What happen to the original tie breaker rules? Was a coin flip designated the tie breaker rule just for the spring season?

It is all very odd. Every region can use their own method to determine who goes to regions. They had to report those methods to VHSL a few weeks ago. King George announced they lost a coin flip yesterday. But now all posts say VHSL tiebreaker rules. So maybe somebody found an error.

For what it's worth, to me, it seems too easy to go through all the possibilities - most times, it's just a coin toss anyway!!

VHLS
TieBreaker rules:

68-4-8 Regional Playoff Representation-There shall be four regions for each classification consisting of no more than 8 playoff teams in each region.

(1) District champions will not automatically advance to the regional playoff s. All ties, including seeding ties, between or among any teams eligible to participate in the regional play-off series shall be resolved by applying the following provisions in the order listed:

(a) The Rating Scale-Considering all regular season games played against public and non-public Virginia schools and scheduled in accordance with the provisions of 68-4-6.

(b) The winner of any games between the two tied teams if only the tied teams are involved. If more than two teams tied, and one of the tied teams beat all other tied teams, that team shall advance.

(c) The team with the better record against all common opponents.

(d) A team that played an opponent with an effective nine (9) game schedule (non-recognized opponent, i.e., home school or out-of-state non-public school, or inability to schedule/play a 10th game) shall be seeded ahead of a school whose opponents play 10 game schedules.

(e) Schools that played an opponent with nine-game schedules shall be seeded ahead of opponents who played 10-game schedules.

(f) The team with the highest winning percentage against rating scale-recognized opponents.

(g) The team with the higher average rating of all of each team's opponents.

(h) The team with the higher average rating of all of each team's VHSL public and VHSL non-public school opponents.

(i) The regional chairman, or his/her alternate if his/her school is involved, shall draw by lot to determine the playoff representative.

(j) The group chairman or vice chairman if the chairman's school is involved, shall draw by lot to determine the playoff representative. Should both the group chair and vice chair be involved in the tie the group secretary would oversee the process.

(2) The rating scale will be used to determine the regional representation.

(3) Seeding for the regional playoff would be based solely upon the final power ratings.

(4) A region may opt to bracket its football championship in two four-team sections.

For what it's worth, to me, it seems too easy to go through all the possibilities - most times, it's just a coin toss anyway!!

VHLS
TieBreaker rules:

68-4-8 Regional Playoff Representation-There shall be four regions for each classification consisting of no more than 8 playoff teams in each region.

(1) District champions will not automatically advance to the regional playoff s. All ties, including seeding ties, between or among any teams eligible to participate in the regional play-off series shall be resolved by applying the following provisions in the order listed:

(a) The Rating Scale-Considering all regular season games played against public and non-public Virginia schools and scheduled in accordance with the provisions of 68-4-6.

(b) The winner of any games between the two tied teams if only the tied teams are involved. If more than two teams tied, and one of the tied teams beat all other tied teams, that team shall advance.

(d) A team that played an opponent with an effective nine (9) game schedule (non-recognized opponent, i.e., home school or out-of-state non-public school, or inability to schedule/play a 10th game) shall be seeded ahead of a school whose opponents play 10 game schedules.

(e) Schools that played an opponent with nine-game schedules shall be seeded ahead of opponents who played 10-game schedules.

(f) The team with the highest winning percentage against rating scale-recognized opponents.

(h) The team with the higher average rating of all of each team's VHSL public and VHSL non-public school opponents.

(i) The regional chairman, or his/her alternate if his/her school is involved, shall draw by lot to determine the playoff representative.

(j) The group chairman or vice chairman if the chairman's school is involved, shall draw by lot to determine the playoff representative. Should both the group chair and vice chair be involved in the tie the group secretary would oversee the process.

(3) Seeding for the regional playoff would be based solely upon the final power ratings.

(4) A region may opt to bracket its football championship in two four-team sections.
I agree. But were these rules applied to this season? Now it seems evident they were, where as yesterday they went by a coin flip.

I agree. But were these rules applied to this season? Now it seems evident they were, where as yesterday they went by a coin flip.

Before this season began, or very shortly thereafter, the VHSL advised the Regions at every class level, that they alone were to determine the basis for which teams made the playoffs. Included in this directive was the freedom for each Region to decide what method was used as a tie breaker. Some Regions went directly by the procedures in Section 68 of the Handbook, (see 757...'s post above). Others simply used a coin flip.

The bottom line, over simplified, was that the League asked that each Region send a contestant to the State semi-final games. How they come up with that contestant was totally up to them, the Region.

(In an earlier post, I too, had stated that the tie breaking procedures in the Handbook applied. I was wrong. They were made optional for this season, for the Regional playoffs only.)

Reactions: OCBoy
It doesn't really matter at this point. As long as you are still playing you should be happy. There is no true homefield advantage with the lack of fans in attendance. I have Louisa winning this one at home or away. I've noticed a huge difference this yr between contenders and avg teams.

VHLS
TieBreaker rules:

It appears as of late that the VHSL has this as a guideline but lets the different Regions make the final call.

It doesn't really matter at this point. As long as you are still playing you should be happy. There is no true homefield advantage with the lack of fans in attendance. I have Louisa winning this one at home or away. I've noticed a huge difference this yr between contenders and avg teams.
So do you think king George is a pretender and not a contender.

So do you think king George is a pretender and not a contender.
My statement has two parts. #1 I have Louisa Co winning this game because I think they are the better team. #2 has nothing to do with KG, its in reference to Avg teams ( win total 3 or less) KG is not a pretender.

VHLS
TieBreaker rules:

One tie was decided by the Virginia lottery #. A simple odd or even number.

Keep an eye out on social media, with the new higher attendance rules, a lot of schools are not using their allotments for players, cheer families etc. Might see last minute tickets going on sale day of games.

Reactions: Shaboink123
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT