ADVERTISEMENT

Pick em Playoffs Week 4 Comments

This is a heck of a slate of championship games. I wish we could actually see them in person. I think that I would go to Class 3 or Class 2 game if I could. But, not because of these possibly being the best games, but because I like to travel out that way.

I think the closest game may well be Salem at LT.
I think the biggest spread may be LB at Lafayette.
I think the highest scoring game may be Appomattox at SD.
I think the lowest scoring game may be Stone Bridge at HSHS.
I think the most entertainIng game from a lead change standpoint may be Galax at Riverheads.

Your thoughts?

One last thing. This Class 4 game is sort of like picking against Tom Brady. Every time I pick against LT or Salem it usually bites me in the butt. Kind of hard to avoid getting bit this year.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
This is a heck of a slate of championship games. I wish we could actually see them in person. I think that I would go to Class 3 or Class 2 game if I could. But, not because of these possibly being the best games, but because I like to travel out that way.

I think the closest game may well be Salem at LT.
I think the biggest spread may be LB at Lafayette.
I think the highest scoring game may be Appomattox at SD.
I think the lowest scoring game may be Stone Bridge at HSHS.
I think the most entertainIng game from a lead change standpoint may be Galax at Riverheads.

Your thoughts?
Class 4: Lake Taylor. Tough beating a team like LT at home in the 757. Just a different environment at LT, 40 fans, no fans, full house.

Class 3: Lafayette. This is the Rams’ year.

Class 2: Appomattox will get it done for Coach Smith. Dynasty in Appo!

Class 1: Riverheads just runs that offense to perfection.

Class 5: Springers get #5. 804 Football is just different! 5B is the best region in the state along with 4B.

Class 6: Oscar Smith finally gets it done.

If the Lake Taylor defense generates the same kind of pressure on Salem's QB I dont see how LT loses this game. Not only does Lake Taylor have athletes on the edge but the veer style offense as Coach Boone said, “Just give it time, it always works.” I'm going to say Lake Taylor 27 Salem 14.

If the Lake Taylor defense generates the same kind of pressure on Salem's QB I dont see how LT loses this game. Not only does Lake Taylor have athletes on the edge but the veer style offense as Coach Boone said, “Just give it time, it always works.” I'm going to say Lake Taylor 27 Salem 14.
Salem does not play out of the shot gun. The QB is under center and the backfield is in the I. When they do pass its play action. They don't get in shotgun and allow the defense to pin their ears back.

Calpreps projections:

Oscar Smith 35-19
Stone Bridge 31-27
Lake Taylor 28-21
Lord Botetourt 35-17
Appomattox 31-22
Riverheads 34-21

Both teams run offenses that few teams in the state run. Lake Taylor's veer originated in the 60s with Houston. Salems I formation offense is even older than that. Most teams in the state are in shotgun with three or more receivers. Salem and Lake Taylor often only have one receiver split out.

Highland Springs vs Stone Bridge is usually a back & forth barn burner game which has turned on just a few & sometimes controversial plays. I've been able to watch a few of them just before our Smith games. They've been a tough act to follow on most occasions.

HSHS have won most of their close games with breakout special teams plays. You just cannot let them field any kick from a high-air approach. Squibs & rugby-style punts only!!!

But, Stone Bridge mostly has just lacked the big play talent to keep up with the Springers. I believe Matt when he says that SB likely has those guys this year!

If your Stone Bridge, you'd like to beat them on their home field if they couldn't host the game. Varina will have to do!!

Both teams run offenses that few teams in the state run. Lake Taylor's veer originated in the 60s with Houston. Salems I formation offense is even older than that. Most teams in the state are in shotgun with three or more receivers. Salem and Lake Taylor often only have one receiver split out.
Im familiar with Lake Taylor and watched Salem in the playoffs every year they make it. Again if Lake Taylor generates pressure I dont care if the team is in single wing, shot gun, i formation, whatever. If lake taylor is generating pressure and in the backfield its going to be tough for Salem to get going

Im familiar with Lake Taylor and watched Salem in the playoffs every year they make it. Again if Lake Taylor generates pressure I dont care if the team is in single wing, shot gun, i formation, whatever. If lake taylor is generating pressure and in the backfield its going to be tough for Salem to get going
Makes total sense. This would be the same for any team.

All I'm saying is it doesn't take very long to hand to the tailback off tackle or to the fullback for a quick trap.

Highland Springs vs Stone Bridge is usually a back & forth barn burner game which has turned on just a few & sometimes controversial plays. I've been able to watch a few of them just before our Smith games. They've been a tough act to follow on most occasions.

HSHS have won most of their close games with breakout special teams plays. You just cannot let them field any kick from a high-air approach. Squibs & rugby-style punts only!!!

But, Stone Bridge mostly has just lacked the big play talent to keep up with the Springers. I believe Matt when he says that SB likely has those guys this year!

If your Stone Bridge, you'd like to beat them on their home field if they couldn't host the game. Varina will have to do!!
2 of the 3 meetings between HSHS & SB were blowouts. The 3 meeting,SB scored 2 late TDs against the backups to get it back to 11. The first was a blowout from the start. The middle game....that was a barn burner! The Tusky game was never close!

The Springers have not lost a game outside the 804 in a long time! They’ve won 10 straight vs the 757 and 10 straight vs NOVA. The 757 matches the speed of the Springers at every position,including in the trenches.

NOVA always has great athletes,but they’ve had trouble with the speed and depth of the trenches. One poster even mentioned,the SB linemen are good RUN blockers. That OLine will face the best DLine they’ve seen all year.

SB does have the big play athletes they had in the second meeting. I think we all know by now,they can score. This is nowhere close to the level of competition they faced this ENTIRE season. One SB poster stated,”they could put an ALL-STAR defense together from the previous 8 teams,and the HSHS defense would still be EASILY better. HSHS has faced 2 great defenses(Varina and Maury), and will face another one Saturday. SB is gonna be a tough nut to crack with those LBs.

Both teams have an excellent kicker! SB reportedly has only punted 4x this entire yr. Having to punt to Veney(UNC offer) could be detrimental. The Springer starting RB is the punter,so respecting the fake is necessary.

I expect a low scoring game. HSHS will struggle to move the ball vs SB,and I doubt ANY high school offense can consistently move the ball vs this HSHS defense. I think it’s strength vs strength in the trenches,but the HSHS DBs don’t have to help in the run game. If HSHS is able to throw the ball...they’ll win.

First one to 21 will win!

Reactions: FoxesPride
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT