ADVERTISEMENT

play calling

Giles is the only running team I have ever enjoyed watching. But give me no huddle spread, with QB in shotgun and 5 WRs.
I never watch the o line. Heck if the o line did not line up, I would not notice it. I watch only QB and WRs.
You missing some great football then. You season begins in May and ends in July (7 on 7).

Reactions: kw85
Never understood why a team that's losing would want to shorten game.by running out clock., But I have seen it done, on a team's first possession. The most a team can fall behind before getting the ball is 8 points. If opponent scores on you, match the score, Don't play not to lose badly, play to win. I saw a team fall behind by 21 points recently. They fought back and ended up losing by a touchdown if my memory is correct.
A coach should never "teach giving up" regardless of score.

In 2004, I believe Christiansburg came from 35 down to beat Salem.

Reactions: BigWinners
Never understood why a team that's losing would want to shorten game.by running out clock., But I have seen it done, on a team's first possession. The most a team can fall behind before getting the ball is 8 points. If opponent scores on you, match the score, Don't play not to lose badly, play to win. I saw a team fall behind by 21 points recently. They fought back and ended up losing by a touchdown if my memory is correct.

I admire the try, but the most a team can be down before getting the ball is not 8 points. Onside kick? Score again 16, another and so on. The team doesn't even have to touch ball to lose it on an Onside kick

Union kinda did same thing against Richlands this year, not taking away anything ast all from Blues but it seemed like Union played the 4th Q not to lose instead of to win. But credit to RHS, they made perfect adjustments late and that short quick passing attack killed Union late.

Playing not to lose is like playing prevent defense. In theory it's perfect but it rarely works.

Two things,
1. Yes, you should coach to win. That sounds great in a world where everyone is evenly matched and everyone has that ability. However, sometimes you just aren't going to win if you don't have the talent/ the team you are playing has much more talent than you. So at times, it isn't that you are playing to "not lose badly." but you are just trying to keep the game close and a competitive score. Kids come back willing to work on Monday if they were supposed to lose 56-7 but instead lost 24-7.

2. The idea of shortening the game allows you more opportunity to win games that you aren't supposed to win. Same as teams that aren't very good usually receive instead of deferring the toss. It's about playing the odds. If you shorten the game,
For example: You(the lesser team) take 8 minutes to score on your first drive, go up 7-0. The better team takes 2 minutes to tie it at 7-7. You hold it for 6 minutes and turn over on downs. The other team scores in 2 minutes to go up 14-7. You hold it for 6 minutes and don't score again. Well that is the half, Yes you are still down 14-7, but the other team has had the ball twice. If they are going to score quickly, they will score. the opposing option, this would happen:
Pass 3 times, punt, have the ball for 1 minute, Better team scores in 2 minutes.
Pass 3 times, punt, have the ball for 1 minute, Better team scores in 2 minutes.
Pass 3 times....Actually get lucky and score. Better team scores in 2 minutes.
That puts you on the fast track to a running clock at the start of the 3rd quarter.
If you finish + in Time of possession, + in number of possessions, and + in Turnover margin, your odds of winning are a lot greater.

I've seen Coach Ragsdale run 44 (off right tackle) 10 times in a row. If it was successful he'd run it until you stopped it. Back in 92 when Giles won state and had a pretty good passer at tailback, we opened with a pass against Blacksburg and the Giles crowd looked around to make sure we were at the right game. We passed 25 times that night and beat Blacksburg soundly (and weren't expected to win).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT