ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Droughts

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Inspired by NFL playoff drought topic covered on sports radio show I listen to this week.

What better time to talk about these things than now? The season is on the horizon, getting closer everyday and once the season gets here we will be talking games, players, etc... lost will be subjects like this so lets dive into the Class 2 teams.

These teams have gone the longest without even making the playoffs!
2002 was the last time for Nelson.
2012 was the last time for Fort Defiance and Windsor.
2016 was the last time for Prince Edward.
2018 was the last time for Arcadia, John Battle and Liberty (Bedford)

See any of these teams busting through in 2023?

As for teams with the longest losing streak in the playoffs?
15 straight losses for Nandua whose last win came in 1990!
9 straight losses for Arcadia! 1987 if you can believe that...
9 straight losses for Southampton dating back to 2002.
8 straight losses for Tazewell with their last in 2008.

See any of these teams snapping their streak in 2023?

Last edited:
Southampton moves down to Class 2. That will help some and Thomas Jefferson who is also in Reg A moves up to class 3. That helps more, so Southampton probably 3rd best team behind KW/Poquoson in Reg 2A in 2023. Tazewell and Southampton were once powerhouses. Hard to believe they've been down for so long.

I know their district is all Class 1 teams, but Southampton has a history of playing a very weak schedule. They open with Poquoson, Petersburg, Colonial Heights, and Lakeland which should challenge them. I see a 1-3 start, but it will help in the playoffs.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
While Fort was much improved last year, not sure 2B is any easier for them than 3C. Will probably see Buckingham, Riverheads, Draft, Central, Strasburg, Clarke and Luray lock up 7 of the 8 playoff spots. That would leave Fort, Madison, Page and Mountain View to battle for last spot. That is a solid region.

Reactions: TS69 and Bama1985
Inspired by NFL playoff drought topic covered on sports radio show I listen to this week.

What better time to talk about these things than now? The season is on the horizon, getting closer everyday and once the season gets here we will be talking games, players, etc... lost will be subjects like this so lets dive into the Class 2 teams.

These teams have gone the longest without even making the playoffs!
2002 was the last time for Nelson.
2012 was the last time for Fort Defiance and Windsor.
2016 was the last time for Prince Edward.
2018 was the last time for Arcadia, John Battle and Liberty (Bedford)

See any of these teams busting through in 2023?

As for teams with the longest losing streak in the playoffs?
15 straight losses for Nandua whose last win came in 1990!
9 straight losses for Arcadia! 1987 if you can believe that...
9 straight losses for Southampton dating back to 2002.
8 straight losses for Tazewell with their last in 2008.

See any of these teams snapping their streak in 2023?
Not really sure about Tazewell, they’ve had some decent talent that past few years but lack consistency. I will say though, the community support they get win or lose is unrivaled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT