ADVERTISEMENT

playoff picture

VHSL-helper

VaPreps All Region
Oct 23, 2004
2D : looks to be Union @ #1 Graham and Tazewell @ Central (Wise)

2C : (assuming DR is cleared for out-of-county play)

#4 Radford @ #1 Appomattox Co.
#3 Glenvar @ #2 Dan River,
Fort Chiswell is standing by at #5.

2B : per WTON's Leland McCray : 1-4 are Stuarts Draft, Strasburg, Page Co. & Buffalo Gap

2A : per RVASN & chatters - Nottoway, King William, Poquoson & Amelia County are 1-4.

Last edited:
Dan River is cleared to play

What happened that Dan River beat Gretna by 4 points, then 7 days later, they beat Gretna 53-6? Was there a key injury here or there? How is that possible to go from a margin of 4 points to a margin of about 47 points in 7 days?

What happened that Dan River beat Gretna by 4 points, then 7 days later, they beat Gretna 53-6? Was there a key injury here or there? How is that possible to go from a margin of 4 points to a margin of about 47 points in 7 days?

I talked to Mascot about the game. The first time they played, it was rainy on and off throughout the game and the Wildcats did not play as well as they did their prior two games. Thursday's night, it was windy but a much drier field. Also, the Wildcats played more disciplined this time; last week they committed 10 penalties and they turned the ball over once or twice. This week, no turnovers and only three penalties - two coming on Special teams. DR's offense was miles better this week than last week- a balanced attack (275 rushing, 200 passing) and they scored on all eight possessions. The Wildcats have multiple weapons and their defense is improving. Wildcats broke the game open in the 2nd quarter, outscoring Gretna 20-0 in the quarter. Gretna literally only threw the ball 4 times at the most. Here's an article on the game from Davin Wilson.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Dan River, talent wise, is probably one of the better teams in the state from 1A-3A. They tend to play down to their competition level. I’d say that Robert Carter is a top 4 best player in Class 2 and they have a really special player in Tracy Glass. They have the ingredients to win the state championship, just have to show up.

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
I think that could be a state of Virginia first. I wish there was an easy way to find out. I've seen some over the years two teams play twice (reg season then playoffs) and one game close and the other a big margin, but I've never seen, can not recall, nor have heard of 4 pts to 47 pts in margin (that's a 43 pt difference) by two teams in the same season. It's almost unbelievable. And to think that this occured in only 7 days. It's not like they play in week 2, then play 2 months later in the playoffs where one team greatly improved and the other has major injuries. This was 7 days. Very interesting.

VHSL has released the top 20 standings but no pairings as of yet.

High School Won Lost Tied Won Lost Tied Rating
---------VHSL--------- --------District--------

Group Region District

Appomattox 2 2C Dogwood 6 0 0 6 0 0 22.00000
Dan River 2 2C Dogwood 4 0 0 3 0 0 20.50000
Glenvar 2 2C Three Rivers 4 2 0 4 0 0 19.16667
Radford 2 2C Three Rivers 4 1 0 3 1 0 18.80000
Fort Chiswell 2 2C Mtn. Empire 4 2 0 4 1 0 18.33333

VHSL FOOTBALL REGION STANDINGS

REGION 6A
:
1) Oscar Smith
2) Thomas Dale
3) Franklin County
4) Grassfield
Semifinals: Grassfield at Oscar Smith
Franklin County at Thomas Dale

REGION 5B
:
1T) Hermitage
Highland Springs
3) Manchester
4) Prince George
Semifinal: #4 Prince George vs. #1 Highland Springs, Friday, 7pm, Varina HS
Semifinal: #3 Manchester at #2 Hermitage, Friday, 7pm

REGION 4B
:
1) Monacan
2T) Louisa
King George
4) Patrick Henry
Semifinal: #4 Patrick Henry at #1 Monacan
Semifinal: Louisa vs. King George, seeding/site TBA Monday

REGION 3A
:
1) Lafayette
2) Phoebus
3) Hopewell
4) New Kent
Semifinal: Hopewell at Phoebus, Friday, 7pm, Darling Stadium
Semifinal: New Kent at Lafayette

REGION 3B:

1) Goochland
2) Independence
3) Skyline
4) Brentsville District
Semifinal: Brentsville District at Goochland, Friday, time TBA
Semifinal: Skyline at Independence

REGION 2A:

1) Nottoway
2) King William
3) Poquoson
4) Amelia County
Semifinal: #4 Amelia County at #1 Nottoway,
Semifinal: #3 Poquoson at #2 King William,

REGION 1A
:
1) King & Queen Central
2) West Point
3) Rappahannock
4) Northumberland
Semifinal: #4 Northumberland at #1 King & Queen Central
Semifinal: #3 Rappahannock at #2 West Point

Posted by robwitham at 9:43 PM

I think that could be a state of Virginia first. I wish there was an easy way to find out. I've seen some over the years two teams play twice (reg season then playoffs) and one game close and the other a big margin, but I've never seen, can not recall, nor have heard of 4 pts to 47 pts in margin (that's a 43 pt difference) by two teams in the same season. It's almost unbelievable. And to think that this occured in only 7 days. It's not like they play in week 2, then play 2 months later in the playoffs where one team greatly improved and the other has major injuries. This was 7 days. Very interesting.

Not one week apart, but this one is more fascinating.

2014: Final Regular season game (11/7) Giles beat Glenvar 33-0, 3 weeks later in playoffs Glenvar won 35-0

Not one week apart, but this one is more fascinating.

2014: Final Regular season game (11/7) Giles beat Glenvar 33-0, 3 weeks later in playoffs Glenvar won 35-0
Colonial Beach and Washington and Lee had a weird situation about 4 years ago. W&L won like 40-0 in the last week of the regular season and the very next week in the first round of the playoffs, CB won 15-14.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT