ADVERTISEMENT

Possession Of Ball After A Foul

bowlingref

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Apr 29, 2010
Rustburg Va.
A player shoots a 3 and the goal is good. A defensive man pushes an offensive man and a foul is called. Who gets the ball? Neither team was in the bonus.
alien.gif

We got it right in the game. The coach thats team did the fouling was livid that his team should have gotten the ball.
This post was edited on 12/14 2:14 AM by bowlingref

Bowlingref, since you edited your post, I will do the same, but state that IF the fouled team WAS in the bonus they would receive ft's. Perhaps the coach that went ballistic could be confusing the play you had with another sitch where a double foul was called during a shot, with opposing players in a pushing/shoving match for position under the basket during a try. This happens at times of course and would result, I believe, in a POI foul, whereby his team would get the ball. Maybe he had that happen at another time and confused the two.
This post was edited on 12/14 10:05 AM by gymrat10

His OP stated neither team was in the bonus.

I'm not sure what he meant in his reply but if the offended team is in the bonus, you definitely shoot the bonus FT(s).

Originally posted by gymrat10:
Perhaps the coach that went ballistic could be confusing the play you had with another sitch where a double foul was called during a shot, with opposing players in a pushing/shoving match for position under the basket during a try. This happens at times of course and would result, I believe, in a POI foul, whereby his team would get the ball. Maybe he had that happen at another time and confused the two.

It is a POI situation but who gets the ball depends on what happens with the shot.

If the basket is good, then the team that didn't score would get the ball just as if the foul hadn't occurred.

If the shot is missed, the AP arrow determines who gets the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT