ADVERTISEMENT

Possible location for Class 5 State Championship game?

I say put it at Oscar Smith. More than enough seats. Or, you can put it at Highland Springs. Come up with a suitable location for both teams based on the results of the state semifinals. Make the site official the day after the state semifinals. Pre-book some hotels and then release those rooms if they are no longer needed due to another site being selected. Having games at college campuses are lousy and the atmosphere evaporates when there are lots of empty seats in a several thousand seat stadium.

Reactions: OCBoy
The point of state championships is to let these kids have the opportunity to play at a college stadium. It’ll be the last time that most of will ever play organized football. Plenty of nice college stadiums in VA. UVA or ODU or JMU. Tech is far from C5 and C6 schools.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
The point of state championships is to let these kids have the opportunity to play at a college stadium. It’ll be the last time that most of will ever play organized football. Plenty of nice college stadiums in VA. UVA or ODU or JMU. Tech is far from C5 and C6 schools.
Why can't the put all classes State Championship games at Liberty University? 2 days, classes 1,2 and 3 on Friday. Classes 4, 5, and 6 on Saturday. Game times both days are noon, 4pm, and 8pm.

They are complaining about the drive. Liberty is a really long drive for NOVA and the 757.
It’s not long from NoVa. The worst part of their trip is going through Charlottesville, which is just a lot of traffic lights. It’s a straight shot and 29 is a lot better than driving down 95.

Reactions: OCBoy and WP02alum
The two day championship sounds great; however, it would be a logistical nightmare. It takes a ton of perfect coordination to pull off two games in a day. Three? You have to consider exchange of locker rooms, pregame warmup, game, trophy presentations, post game interviews, and departure. That takes at least 4 1/2 five hours. If the last game started at 8 that it would be well after midnight getting things wrapped up and force teams to stay two nights. Plus you have to accommodate Dan's (food, lodging, and parking) for 2 extra teams per day for two days. Liberty/Lynchburg could handle the parking and maybe the food. Not sure about the hotels.

If you played C1, 2, and 3 in Roanoke and C4, 5, and 6 in Lynchburg on a Saturday and the games started @11, 3, and 7, maybe you could pull it off.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
That's actually not the point of them. They are to determine the best teams in the state.

The two day championship sounds great; however, it would be a logistical nightmare. It takes a ton of perfect coordination to pull off two games in a day. Three? You have to consider exchange of locker rooms, pregame warmup, game, trophy presentations, post game interviews, and departure. That takes at least 4 1/2 five hours. If the last game started at 8 that it would be well after midnight getting things wrapped up and force teams to stay two nights. Plus you have to accommodate Dan's (food, lodging, and parking) for 2 extra teams per day for two days. Liberty/Lynchburg could handle the parking and maybe the food. Not sure about the hotels.

If you played C1, 2, and 3 in Roanoke and C4, 5, and 6 in Lynchburg on a Saturday and the games started @11, 3, and 7, maybe you could pull it off.
This would also involve more than a couple of people from the VHSL offices working the championship site. That would actually require competency which is something they lack.

And four and a half hours? Are you kidding me? Texas does three games a day at four hours between with no problem at all. $20 a ticket all day at AT&T Stadium. Come and go as you please. And Liberty only had two concession stands (one on each side) open during the C3 and C4 title games. That was beyond pathetic. The VHSL was only concerned with providing the minimum.

Reactions: CHUKNOW
Why can't the put all classes State Championship games at Liberty University? 2 days, classes 1,2 and 3 on Friday. Classes 4, 5, and 6 on Saturday. Game times both days are noon, 4pm, and 8pm.
GA plays all of theirs at Ga State’s Stadium, the old Turner Field.

That's why I say ODU makes sense to pull off a 2 day event 3 a day. Plenty of hotels in the 757 area. And the VHSL if need be set up large tent outside the backside of the stadium for extra locker rooms and media area. But if thought out right can be pulled off right. Parking shouldn't be bad with two garages and additional areas around there to park

There is my suggestion Phoebus played Brentsville last year.

Lets say they play again but Brentsville has home field advantage this time. We would have Phoebus pick the site of the game as long as its a 15 mile radius of Brentsville High School. Maybe they game would be at Patriot high school.

If Phoebus had home field advantage Brentsville would get to pick the site of the game as long as its a 15 mile radius of Phoebus High School. Maybe they game would be at Norview high school.

So one team would have home field but it wouldn't be at Brentsville, Darling, or Todd stadium.

@VAHSFootballFan, I generally enjoy your post and find them insightful, but I really don't understand why you continue to bash the VHSL Office when you know the member schools make the ultimate decisions. The VHSL consults and carries out the wishes of the board and representatives of each school system. I am not implying the VHSL Office doesn't make mistakes, but let's put the blame where it should be. @springer76, the 757 will travel; however, the voting control is elsewhere. If that was not the case we would have cross bracketing in the class 4 semi's. Take a guess who keeps voting it down? It ain't the "VHSL"!

Please understand I am trying to be informative and not disrespectful. Since 1979, I have been a VHSL school participant (player), coach, official, fan, and Dinwiddie HS game day personnel member. I can't always say I have agreed with decisions made by the members of the VHSL or VHSL staff themselves, but the one thing I know is the people who work at the VHSL office try to put out a good product. In addition, they do send reps to state semi final and final games. We had one at the Warwick game and I spoke with two at Lynchburg.

As far as the State Football Championships go the VHSL is given an operating budget (by the board) and they have to work within that budget. Same as any other business entity. I know for a fact the expectations, expenditures, and minimal profit gained from a state semi-final game which is usually played at a schools home stadium. For the state final you have to add team travel (VHSL pays some), extra game officials, sideline crew (down and marker), timekeeper, public address announcer, security, facility rent, hospitality, and other incidental cost. Yes, Texas plays three games a day for four days (Tuesday -Friday 11 am, 3 pm, and 7 pm), they play at AT&T Stadium (Cowboys) and have full access to four locker rooms and every other amenity known to man. You are comparing apples to oranges. 54,000 attended the division five final alone. LMAO, if Virginia had that attendance we wouldn't be having this discussion. I would agree the VHSL (member schools) could do better, but so could the participating school fans and high school fans in general throughout VA. In order to put on a big multi day event you have to have the cooperation of the facilities. UVA, Old Dominion, Richmond, and other sites have forgone the opportunity to host for a reason. They lose money!

I will close by simply saying to all If you have a problem with the locations, concession stands, or whatever voice your concerns to your local school board, principal, or AD. That's is exactly where the problem exist.

Please read the following:

The Executive Committee shall be composed of 37 voting members including 18 principals; one representative from the State Department of Education; eight division superintendents of schools; one representative from the Virginia School Boards Association; one Virginia citizen appointed by the Executive Committee from the PTA Board of Managers; six supervisors of athletics/activities at a member school, one from each classification level (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6); and two members of the Virginia General Assembly. The Executive Director of the League shall serve as a non‐voting member of the Executive Committee.

Essentially, all rules, regulations, and changes to same, come about as a result of action by the Executive Committee. Please note that the only VHSL staff that is a member of the EC is the Executive Director, and he DOESN’T GET A VOTE.

So by all means, if you don’t agree with something, let your voice be heard. But direct your voice to someone who can try to make a change. Start with coaches, AD’s, principals, and even the school system Superintendent. It serves no purpose to blame the VHSL staff for something you disagree with. THEY don’t make the rules. They work for the ones that DO make the rules.

They have been playing in mercedes benz stadium since it opened for several years now.
correct they switched it, also they have day or 2 day passes available for those that want to catch all of the games during that time. Love that idea.

Please read the following:

The Executive Committee shall be composed of 37 voting members including 18 principals; one representative from the State Department of Education; eight division superintendents of schools; one representative from the Virginia School Boards Association; one Virginia citizen appointed by the Executive Committee from the PTA Board of Managers; six supervisors of athletics/activities at a member school, one from each classification level (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6); and two members of the Virginia General Assembly. The Executive Director of the League shall serve as a non‐voting member of the Executive Committee.

Essentially, all rules, regulations, and changes to same, come about as a result of action by the Executive Committee. Please note that the only VHSL staff that is a member of the EC is the Executive Director, and he DOESN’T GET A VOTE.

So by all means, if you don’t agree with something, let your voice be heard. But direct your voice to someone who can try to make a change. Start with coaches, AD’s, principals, and even the school system Superintendent. It serves no purpose to blame the VHSL staff for something you disagree with. THEY don’t make the rules. They work for the ones that DO make the rules.
Yikes. If I'm reading this right, it looks like only six out of 37 voting members of the Executive Committee are affiliated with athletics with the other 31 coming from "aCaDeMiCs".

No wonder why the VHSL is dysfunctional.

• Sad
Reactions: VHSL-helper
@VAHSFootballFan, I generally enjoy your post and find them insightful, but I really don't understand why you continue to bash the VHSL Office when you know the member schools make the ultimate decisions. The VHSL consults and carries out the wishes of the board and representatives of each school system. I am not implying the VHSL Office doesn't make mistakes, but let's put the blame where it should be. @springer76, the 757 will travel; however, the voting control is elsewhere. If that was not the case we would have cross bracketing in the class 4 semi's. Take a guess who keeps voting it down? It ain't the "VHSL"!

Please understand I am trying to be informative and not disrespectful. Since 1979, I have been a VHSL school participant (player), coach, official, fan, and Dinwiddie HS game day personnel member. I can't always say I have agreed with decisions made by the members of the VHSL or VHSL staff themselves, but the one thing I know is the people who work at the VHSL office try to put out a good product. In addition, they do send reps to state semi final and final games. We had one at the Warwick game and I spoke with two at Lynchburg.

As far as the State Football Championships go the VHSL is given an operating budget (by the board) and they have to work within that budget. Same as any other business entity. I know for a fact the expectations, expenditures, and minimal profit gained from a state semi-final game which is usually played at a schools home stadium. For the state final you have to add team travel (VHSL pays some), extra game officials, sideline crew (down and marker), timekeeper, public address announcer, security, facility rent, hospitality, and other incidental cost. Yes, Texas plays three games a day for four days (Tuesday -Friday 11 am, 3 pm, and 7 pm), they play at AT&T Stadium (Cowboys) and have full access to four locker rooms and every other amenity known to man. You are comparing apples to oranges. 54,000 attended the division five final alone. LMAO, if Virginia had that attendance we wouldn't be having this discussion. I would agree the VHSL (member schools) could do better, but so could the participating school fans and high school fans in general throughout VA. In order to put on a big multi day event you have to have the cooperation of the facilities. UVA, Old Dominion, Richmond, and other sites have forgone the opportunity to host for a reason. They lose money!

I will close by simply saying to all If you have a problem with the locations, concession stands, or whatever voice your concerns to your local school board, principal, or AD. That's is exactly where the problem exist.
Did you mean Virginia HS Football Fan? I haven't been on here in awhile.

UVA to host Class 5,6 state football finals​

The state football finals for Virginia’s two largest public school classifications will return to the University of Virginia for the first time since 2015.

Scott Stadium will host the Class 5 and 6 state football championships Saturday, Dec. 9. The Class 6 final is at 11:30 a.m. followed by the Class 5 final at 5 p.m. UVA will also host both finals in 2024 as part of a standard two-year deal.

Old Dominion University served as the previous host for the Class 5 and 6 state football finals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT