ADVERTISEMENT

Preseason Class 4 Boys Basketball Top 10

blackknight_pride

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2016
Harrisonburg
Way less all-state guys returning in Class 4 this year, so it'll definitely be difficult to try to rank some of these squads with a lot of new faces. Here is my best shot at a preseason list.

1. Hampton
I'm gonna go with the Crabbers here solely because of their state title win, but I have no idea who they return. I do know they lose two all state first teamers in Johnson and Baugh. There is always lots of talent in Hampton but this is definitely a shaky #1 spot with such a competitive Class 4.

2. Varina
I'll slide the Devils in here for the same reason. Varina has an excellent program with recent state success and should reload even without the former state POY in Wyche.

3. Churchland
Truckers return the only all-state first teamer that wasn't a senior last season in Sincere Jones as long as he doesn't transfer out. Churchland fell to both Varina and Hampton in the playoffs last year so they will certainly be looking for revenge come playoff time.

4. John Handley
The Judges return a plethora of talent from a 20-win campaign a season ago including now-sophomore Will Braun-Duin who looks to be one of the Winchester all-time greats when it's all said and done. A year of experience down for the Judges and they should be the favorite in Region 4D.

5. Henrico
Warriors return Tykie Jones to a team that had a very strong year before falling to Dinwiddie in the 4B playoffs. They should be battle-tested and ready to make a return splash to the state tournament this year.

6. Tuscarora
The Huskies lose most of their top-end talent from a team that was extremely close to a state title a season ago, but Tuscy has been knocking at the door for a couple years now and should reload nicely and contend in Region 4C.

7. Woodgrove
Wolverines were right up there with Tuscy in 4C last year before falling to rival Loudoun Valley in the regional playoffs. If they can get over the hump and defeat their demons with the Vikings then Woodgrove can certainly make a push to a state tournament appearance and perhaps beyond.

8. Charlottesville
Black Knights lose two starters to a team that won 4D a season ago including first teamer Aidan Yates, but brought in former Duke player Andre Dawkins as coach who had loads of success coaching Mt. Saint Mary's in Oklahoma City, and while adapting to a new coach and system takes time Dawkins could have Cville contending again for the state tournament.

9. Loudoun Valley
Death, taxes, and Coach Dawson making the state tourney. Valley won 4C last year in pretty shocking fashion before losing to Tuscy in the revenge game in states. Still, you can't ever count the Vikings out and they will look to play spoiler again in a deep region.

10. Eastern View
The Cyclones are always on my radar because they tend to have a lot of talent and win some eye-opening wins even in mediocre seasons. The Battlefield District has been a bloodbath in recent years but they are my early favorite to win it if they return enough.

HM: Dinwiddie, EC Glass, Jefferson Forest, Atlee, Courtland

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT