7. Dinwiddie
8. Pohwatan
9. Courtland
10. Patrick Henry Ashland
11. Chancellor
12. Hanover
13. King George

Analysis:
Huguenot ran through the region in the playoffs last year, their closest region game being a 70-55 win over Louisa. Unfortunately for the Falcons, Deshawn Ridley and Lance Monteiro, both all state selections last year, are gone. The Falcons have tools to reload, but meanwhile other teams in the region are primed to take over. Louisa arguably returns the most, led by Chris Shelton (holds an offer from NC A&T) and stud point guard and football standout Jarrett Hunter. Monacan is still young, but should be dangerous this year after making the state tournament last year. The Chiefs in March and April can be dangerous, just ask 2016 Lake Taylor. Caroline losses David Ware, a scoring machine for the Cavaliers a season ago, but an unexpected run to the #1 seed in the region last year bodes well for the program. Eastern View losses D'Ago Hunter, but coach Thornhill always has a contender over there in Culpeper. Powhatan may surprise some folks with a veteran backcourt returning. Still, I trust Louisa and Monacan the most in this region, simply because they have the most experience back. We'll get a good luck at the region early in the year, Louisa plays PH-Ashland, Powhatan plays Monacan, Hanover, and Dinwiddie, Eastern View has the Battlefield slate which includes Courtland, Chancellor, Caroline, and King George, Monacan plays PH as well along with Midlothian in their district. Should be a fun year.

Regional Championship Prediction:
Louisa County 74 Monacan 71

Player of the Year: Chris Shelton, Louisa

Last edited:
Reactions: CarolineCav99
EV's OOD looks to be Varina, Hanover, and Albemarle. Looks like they scrimmage your Knights a week from today.

Yessir excited for that one, but y'all will be missing football players I'm sure.
They have a tough OOD this year, that will make them battle-tested for the playoffs.

Joe Bamisile is going to be a GAME CHANGER for Monacan. 6’4 PG with major handle, good length, and great touch from all levels. Keep him on your radar 4a fans

Reactions: blackknight_pride
I’d consider putting EV ahead of Caroline at this point. They should have a bit more cohesiveness with who they’ve got coming back. Caroline lost four starters, including Ware. Granted, the JV went 20-2 and won the district, and they also got a couple transfers in, but I think they may take some time to gel, get their rotations down, etc.

Also concerning the Battlefield, I’d keep an eye on Chancellor. I think they could crack the top three in the district. They have a few solid players back, including their PG, and their JV finished second.

I’ll probably have more insight in a couple weeks, as I’ll be putting together some previews (among them the Battlefield) and will also be talking with EV’s coach for The Culpeper Star-Exponent.

That aside, these preseason rankings you made look solid overall. I expect Louisa’s upward trajectory to continue with what they have returning, plus newcomers from their JV.

I’d consider putting EV ahead of Caroline at this point. They should have a bit more cohesiveness with who they’ve got coming back. Caroline lost four starters, including Ware. Granted, the JV went 20-2 and won the district, and they also got a couple transfers in, but I think they may take some time to gel, get their rotations down, etc.

Also concerning the Battlefield, I’d keep an eye on Chancellor. I think they could crack the top three in the district. They have a few solid players back, including their PG, and their JV finished second.

I’ll probably have more insight in a couple weeks, as I’ll be putting together some previews (among them the Battlefield) and will also be talking with EV’s coach for The Culpeper Star-Exponent.

That aside, these preseason rankings you made look solid overall. I expect Louisa’s upward trajectory to continue with what they have returning, plus newcomers from their JV.

Thanks man. I recently saw some video of Eastern View's Blake Leake, he's a ball player. I'll get a good look at them (without football players of course) on Wednesday when we go up there for a scrimmage.

Reactions: CarolineCav99
Thanks man. I recently saw some video of Eastern View's Blake Leake, he's a ball player. I'll get a good look at them (without football players of course) on Wednesday when we go up there for a scrimmage.
Leake is on the football team (one of the best unknown receivers in the state)....so I'm guessing you won't see him.

Did you make it to the scrimmage last night?

Yessir, extremely nice school. Maxpreps actually has the score right for once haha. Our starters beat Eastern View's 20-12 in the first quarter. Lineups mixed up a bit in the second, the Cyclones took that one 16-14. In the third, we played basically a strictly defensive lineup and won 10-6. Reserves played in the 4th and we took that one 19-13. Overall, Eastern View looked solid, considering some of their best players were out because of football. Zion Clark is good, and they have good coaching.

I was also just taken aback at how nice the school was! I know it's only 10 years old but great place and good atmosphere for a preseason scrimmage.

During the JV game heard some football players talking about Louisa lol.

Yessir, extremely nice school. Maxpreps actually has the score right for once haha. Our starters beat Eastern View's 20-12 in the first quarter. Lineups mixed up a bit in the second, the Cyclones took that one 16-14. In the third, we played basically a strictly defensive lineup and won 10-6. Reserves played in the 4th and we took that one 19-13. Overall, Eastern View looked solid, considering some of their best players were out because of football. Zion Clark is good, and they have good coaching.

I was also just taken aback at how nice the school was! I know it's only 10 years old but great place and good atmosphere for a preseason scrimmage.

During the JV game heard some football players talking about Louisa lol.
Both schools were closed today...so no real significant day-before practices. Walk-throughs are fine but you can't really replicate the game situations these teams will be faced with tomorrow. Can't wait.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT