Saturday
Flint Hill at Episcopal
North Cross at Christchurch
St. Albans at Bishop Ireton
St. Christopher's at Bishop O'Connell
St. Stephen's & St. Agnes at Mercersburg Academy

1589138.jpg

This post was edited on 9/10 6:44 AM by wgarlick

STAB at Bishop Sullivan and FUMA at Monticello are the two games that really peak my interest this week.

Bishop Sullivan beat STAB twice last year, once early in the season and once in the playoffs, by very similar scores (49-22 and 45-23). I get the feeling that STAB is improved this year, and I know Bishop Sullivan is pretty loaded, so I will be very curious to see how this game turns out, especially with Bishop coming off a blowout loss to Benedictine.

Monticello will be a huge test for FUMA. I know early season polls don't mean a whole lot, but Monticello is ranked #5 in 3A right now and a lot of people think they will make a long playoff run. FUMA handled Goochland (#5 in 2A right now) last week and Goochland is a heavy favorite to contend for the 2A title, while Monticello crushed George Wythe 67-6. Last year, Monticello beat FUMA by 20 points.

Both of these games could end up being blowouts or close games, but they are two that definitely spark my interest.

I am curious to see how Saturday's game North Cross at Christchurch plays out. N.C. took a pounding in week 1 but have bounced back nicely. Christchurch won a crazy, to say the least, game against Blue Ridge in week 1 then lost big to S.T.A.B. in week 2. This game could determine if Christchurch is ready to be back in the playoffs this year after having a rough season last year.

My picks: Benedictine / STAB / Liberty / Blue Ridge / Greenbrier / Chincoteague / Fishburne / Monticello / Quantico / Hargrave / St Johns Prep / Trinity / Atlantic Shores / Potomac / St John Paul / Flint Hill / North Cross/ Bishop Ireton / St Chris / Mercersburg

me too. STAB and NC are similar but STAB has more talent typically and are well coached. CCS did a lot to take them out of the game, if they ca clean that up and be more consistent it should be a good game.

North Cross has a strong, knowledgeable coaching staff and I'm sure Coach Alexander and the staff will have their team ready to compete. It will definitely be interesting as last year North Cross beat CCS 35 - 21. I understand CCS may have added a few players (transfers) and I'm sure they will be looking to avenge last years loss. On another note, North Cross lost to STAB last year 22 -20 after getting down by 3 TD's in the first half. Coming into the game North Cross was (4-1) and STAB was winless on the season. In my opinion I think the win over NCS sparked the remainder of STAB's season. The didn't lose another regular season game and received a playoff birth after a slow winless start.

This will definitely be a key weekend as some prognosticators have picked Christchruch to finish 1st, STAB 2nd and North Cross 3rd. This week should shake out where these three teams stand.

At a cursory look and without having seen the teams but through reading articles and looking at their strength of schedule, Fredericksburg Christian appears to be the front runner in D3. Having quality wins over St. Stephen's & St. Agnes (D1) and Nansemond-Suffolk (D2), that's a heck of a start I don't think anyone can argue with. On the other hand Atlantic Shores is definitely talented and good, just not sure how good as they have faced 3 D4 opponents to start the season. These three teams have 1 win between them over a combined 7 games.

I look forward to the weekend it will be definitely be interesting!

Wow, Chincoteague at Kenston Forest for a Friday night game. I wonder what time the Eastern Shore kids will get home? 2:00am?

NC is again small but quick .They are basically playing one healthy senior ( QB Max Revercomb).They lost 2 way Sr. starter
Sterling Moscal to an ACL in the opener against Nansemond Suffolk .They have not had their Sr.speed burners ( Ryan Dent and Isiah Harris healthy since the first game as well .
If those two can return to form ,they will continue to put additional points on the board . For now ,they ride the arm of Sr.QB Max Revercomb who is getting looks from several D III programs .

They are a young team that will continue to improve as the season progresses.
How will the road trip to Christchurch fare tomorrow ? Stay tuned ...........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT