ADVERTISEMENT

Pulaski-- 39 point underdog vs Salem

Will Salem cover the 39 point spread vs Pulaski Co this week?

• Yes

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • No

Votes: 23 67.6%

• Total voters

Keith_Stone33

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 30, 2013
Gilliam Ratings has Pulaski as a major underdog this week, even though both teams are undefeated. If I were a betting man, I would take Pulaski Co +39 vs Salem, not because I think they would win, but because I think they can keep it within 5 touchdowns. What about everyone else?

Last edited:
Gilliam Ratings has Pulaski as a major underdog this week, even though both teams are undefeated. If I were a betting man, I would take Pulaski Co +39 vs Salem, not because I think they would win, but because I think they can keep it within 5 touchdowns. What about everyone else?
One point will be enough!

changing my prediction a little 28 14 Salem Salem goes up 14 in 4th quarter to put it away Will be good for Salem to have a relative close game

Rivalry games happen all the time and nothing wacky really happens. Like at all levels of all sports forever and ever. People thinking Salem wins by a good amount have a good amount of reasoning to think so.

Pulaski beat Northside 22-20
Salem beat Northside 38-14

Pulaski beat Cave Spring 25-7
Salem beat Cave Spring 40-0

Pulaski beat Patrick Henry 21-14
Salem beat Patrick Henry 51-14

Pulaski beat Christiansburg 14-6
Salem beat Christiansburg 49-7

Pulaski beat Blacksburg 41-32
Salem beat Blacksburg 56-10

Pulaski beat Hidden Valley 49-34
Salem beat Hidden Valley 77-14

Pulaski won the 6 games by a margin of 190-113
Salem won the 6 games by a margin of 311-59

The reaction of people regarding this game isn't really crazy. Stranger things have certainly happened and I'm positive every player and coach is taking this game serious but Salem is the favorite and Salem will likely win. If they play well Salem might win by a good amount.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Yeah I wouldn't bet for Salem to cover that large of a spread. Like salem football said 1 point is fine with me.

Reactions: Amgis
Based on Hokie's numbers I'd put the spread at 29, using the difference in MOV between common opponents for Pulaski & Salem. As long as Salem wins the MOV doesn't matter to me. I should be at the game around 6 if anyone wants to meet before I head up to the box. Last week it was so windy & nippy when I got there I headed straight up. Let me know ahead of time what time you want to meet and we can decide a place.

I really liked what Hokies posted above. It's a good illustration of the consistency of play by Salem.

I voted that Salem will cover the big spread. But honestly, I will probably change my vote. Here is why. When Salem gets up safely, I expect Coach Mags to give his senior subs as much playing time as possible. It may be about the last time some of these kids ever get on a football field in pads. I think he will be quick to get these kids in the game. And I'm sure he will give his prime subs as much as a chance as he can afford to get more game experience. Resting players may not be a consideration with a reasonable expectation of having a bye week. And, with as many injuries as Salem has had with their linemen, he will be quick to get them out of harms way.

And finally, to facilitate the above, I look for the game plan to be aggressive early, to try to get a safe lead.

All of this should mean no more than a 20 point differential.

Maybe close to 39 points in the 3rd period, but Pulaski will keep their starters in and try to fight back. They will probably get a couple of scores that the Salem starters would not have given up.

I am going to say that Pulaski wants this one kind of bad , and combination of that with a district rivalry makes this game within 14 at half. But third quarter it's over. Salem 49 Pulaski 21.

I believe Salem will win but I will be rooting for the Cougars and think they cover the points. I really would love to see a Pulaski win that puts the major screws to 4A West seedings.

Well, last year i guess Salem would have been favored by more than that but PC gave them a decent game for the most part. Salem won 49-24. PC is much better this year and Salem about the same. So let's get on with it and see what happens. And, I'm not voting in the stupid poll.

My system tends over predict margin for big favorites a tad bit (due to defensive battle correction I have in there and due to the fact that the coaches tend to call off the dogs when up and due to running clock etc.) I, myself, would be surprised to see a 48-9 game like the computer picks, but I do think Salem wins this 99 times out of 100.

I think Salem will win by a large margin. If this was early in season, margin may be greater, but at this juncture of season, Salem is looking ahead to playoffs and PC is also. Salem will be happy with a one point win.

My system tends over predict margin for big favorites a tad bit (due to defensive battle correction I have in there and due to the fact that the coaches tend to call off the dogs when up and due to running clock etc.) I, myself, would be surprised to see a 48-9 game like the computer picks, but I do think Salem wins this 99 times out of 100.
Agreed

Of course your system had Pulaski as big underdogs in the Northside and PH games. This Pulaski team has always played up to their competition. If the game is close at the half, Pulaski has a good chance to win. They have shown to be a second half team all year long.

I think Salem will win by a large margin. If this was early in season, margin may be greater, but at this juncture of season, Salem is looking ahead to playoffs and PC is also. Salem will be happy with a one point win.
We will disagree a little on this. Salem will be happy with a win. Yes. But a solid showing by Pulaski should be a reason for concern and the doubters will come crawling out of every nook and crannie to wave that flag in front of them all the way through the playoffs.

Don't worry Mike. I won't be among them. Although, you may get a little flicker if the Cougars actually pull off the upset.;)

Well I know Gilliams Ratings are scientific but I like to do it the old fashioned way. Pulaski beat Northside 22-20 Northside is the best team Pulaski has played. Salem beat Northside 35-14 --Northside is the best team Salem has played. Pulaski well be extremely motivated ---while Salem is probably already thinking about the playoffs. Salem beat Pulaski last year 49-24----Pulaski is a little better-----Salem about the same --maybe better on defense. Final prediction----Pulaski keeps in close but Salem prevails 35-21 I know I changed it from 28-14 but since it is going to be a nice night on turf and teams just score more than they used to I am adding seven to both teams

Can Salem cover the spread? You betcha. Will they? Probably not. I think they build a healthy lead and sub in JV in the second half to develop that future talent.

My first thought when I read the thread title was that the spread was way too generous. I ran my own numbers and came up with Salem by 40.8. Go figure!

Can Salem cover the spread? You betcha. Will they? Probably not. I think they build a healthy lead and sub in JV in the second half to develop that future talent.

My first thought when I read the thread title was that the spread was way too generous. I ran my own numbers and came up with Salem by 40.8. Go figure!
You got it bud. I think it should be 45 or better.

1 is a fine spread to me, as long as Salem has more points on the scoreboard than Pulaski does. I think posts like this can provide bulletin board material. Pulaski will give the Spartans their A game, better be ready to play. Hope for a good injury free game where the 50/50 pot is insane and my number is called!

The game comes down to the following:
1. Can Pulaski contain Salem's speed and running game?
2. Can Pulaski grind out the running game and keep the ball and run the clock?
3. Can Pulaski hit a couple of well timed deep passes to keep Salem honest?
4. Can either team make a special teams play?
5. Turnovers
6. The longer Pulaski hangs around the more confident they will get and the tougher they will be.

Based on Pulaski's other nine games---they will struggle to contain Salem's offense
but may have a chance to move the ball and run the clock---thus keeping game rather close
ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL-----Should be great crowd 7 to 10 thousand

@southbottomU Be honest, when is the last time Salem even came close to having 7k people at a game?
The home side seats 5,000 alone. Whenever Northside comes over to play that's an easy 7-8,000. To answer your question last September 19th or so. DinwiddieProud was there he can attest to that. Pulaski has been a more competitive and bitter rival over the years except the last 5 years or so. With both teams 9-0 & the weather is supposed to be sweet. It's a safe bet the crowd will reach 8 or 9,000.

Last edited:
Well it seemed last year for the Woodgrove game, the Salem side wasn't close to filled, and I thought the crowd in Lynchburg was lackluster, but Glenvar was also playing that day.

I let Mike Salem take care of my light work---he answered the question accurately as usual. 50 -50 will be over 2500. Salem has had many many games over 7000 over the years. Too hard to name them all but quite a few games with Amherst had those type of crowds----Games with Northside have had those type of crowds-----and more than one game with Pulaski have had those types of crowds----Not that unusual in Salem. Salem game with Woodgrove last last year was bad weather. Glenvar playing AT Salem stadium last year when Salem played Lake Taylor hurt our crowd by about a 1000 or two-----we still packed our side at Liberty. Good weather this friday will mean big crowd.

Well it seemed last year for the Woodgrove game, the Salem side wasn't close to filled, and I thought the crowd in Lynchburg was lackluster, but Glenvar was also playing that day.
The new playoff format has not been conducive to big crowds. To the casual fan, they see a game with Woodgrove, a school that wasn’t even in existence even 7 or 8 years ago, and they weren't interested cause they didn't even know where the school was from. Everybody here knows Pulaski. I think the VHSL figured that out too as they made considerably less even though there were more games. There is a push to go back to the Regional format. In Lynchburg it's really hard to tell how many fans there are in a stadium that seats 20,000.

Reactions: salemfan32
a lot of Salem fans have never heard of Dominion, Woodgrove, Champe, Heritage----any of the newer Loudon County schools. They probably have not heard of Salem either. However, I bet ya Champe is chomping at the bit to get Salem on their field this year to try to get some pay back for those Loudon schools

That's wild to me that the average Salem fan won't come to a BIG game just because they don't know the opponent, seems fair weathered to me. If you're a fan of Salem, especially with its storied history, you should go support the team no matter the opponent. It just seems as if the excitement isn't there like it should be. But I would love to make it there for a Pulaski or Northside game one day, especially if the crowds are like you guys say. It seems people exaggerate a lot about crowd sizes, saying a game had 7,000 people there when it was really about 3,000. I guess Salem fans are so used to winning now, they're bored.

Last edited:
That's wild to me that the average Salem fan won't come to a BIG game just because they don't know the opponent, seems fair weathered to me. If you're a fan of Salem, especially with its storied history, you should go support the team no matter the opponent. It just seems as if the excitement isn't there like it should be. But I would love to make it there for a Pulaski or Northside game one day, especially if the crowds are like you guys say. It seems people exaggerate a lot about crowd sizes, saying a game had 7,000 people there when it was really about 3,000. I guess Salem fans are so used to winning now, they're bored.
The big games in Salem do draw 7,000+, no exaggeration there.

I let Mike Salem take care of my light work---he answered the question accurately as usual. 50 -50 will be over 2500. Salem has had many many games over 7000 over the years. Too hard to name them all but quite a few games with Amherst had those type of crowds----Games with Northside have had those type of crowds-----and more than one game with Pulaski have had those types of crowds----Not that unusual in Salem. Salem game with Woodgrove last last year was bad weather. Glenvar playing AT Salem stadium last year when Salem played Lake Taylor hurt our crowd by about a 1000 or two-----we still packed our side at Liberty. Good weather this friday will mean big crowd.

So, 1k-2k Salem fans stayed home to watch Glenvar instead of coming to see Salem play for a state title? Ok

a lot of older fans----bad weather keeps them away-----Also I think Salem has been winning so much over the last 30 years it is taken for granted---some fans need something special to get them excited. By the way the crowd size quoted from the above post are accurate---no exaggerations. They will turn out for the Pulaski game----between 7 and 10 thousand is my prediction.

Reactions: salemfan32
Glenvar fans are often Salem fans also, and vice versa----they never play each other and live basically in the same community---separated by the City of Salem Roanoke County line--there is no rivalry--two to three miles apart. Glenvar played Giles a few weeks ago on a Saturday and a whole bunch of Salem fans were at the game. It is an interesting relationship. Salem fans are Glenvar fans and Glenvar fans are Salem fans. Salem is a small city --only 14 square miles---we are bordered by Roanoke County (Hidden Valley, Cave Spring, Northside) on the east --Roanoke City also is on our eastern border--and on our Western Border is Glenvar. Also years ago Glenvar and Salem were merged into one school for a short while.when Salem was still in the Roanoke County school district. Salem broke away from the Roanoke County school system I think in 1982 and the schools were broken up again. These folks go to the same churches and shop at the same grocery stores. Salem fans were keeping track of the Glenvar State Championship game last year while they were watching Salem Lake Taylor. Pretty good accomplishment for Glenvar to win State Title and Salem to be runner up

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT