ADVERTISEMENT

Pulaski-- 39 point underdog vs Salem

Will Salem cover the 39 point spread vs Pulaski Co this week?

• Yes

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • No

Votes: 23 67.6%

• Total voters
a lot of older fans----bad weather keeps them away-----Also I think Salem has been winning so much over the last 30 years it is taken for granted---some fans need something special to get them excited. By the way the crowd size quoted from the above post are accurate---no exaggerations. They will turn out for the Pulaski game----between 7 and 10 thousand is my prediction.
My thoughts exactly. Some Salem fans are too used to winning, so they might not show up to the average game.

The game comes down to the following:
1. Can Pulaski contain Salem's speed and running game?
2. Can Pulaski grind out the running game and keep the ball and run the clock?
3. Can Pulaski hit a couple of well timed deep passes to keep Salem honest?
4. Can either team make a special teams play?
5. Turnovers
6. The longer Pulaski hangs around the more confident they will get and the tougher they will be.

Based on Pulaski's other nine games---they will struggle to contain Salem's offense
but may have a chance to move the ball and run the clock---thus keeping game rather close
ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL-----Should be great crowd 7 to 10 thousand

LOL I guess that is why they play the game and don't just go by what the experts and computers say.

Of course your system had Pulaski as big underdogs in the Northside and PH games. This Pulaski team has always played up to their competition. If the game is close at the half, Pulaski has a good chance to win. They have shown to be a second half team all year long.
You may have a point-----Salem starters have barely played in the second half this year----maybe one possession or two at most all year and only in a few of the games --the other games they never got off the bench in the second half

That's wild to me that the average Salem fan won't come to a BIG game just because they don't know the opponent, seems fair weathered to me. If you're a fan of Salem, especially with its storied history, you should go support the team no matter the opponent. It just seems as if the excitement isn't there like it should be. But I would love to make it there for a Pulaski or Northside game one day, especially if the crowds are like you guys say. It seems people exaggerate a lot about crowd sizes, saying a game had 7,000 people there when it was really about 3,000. I guess Salem fans are so used to winning now, they're bored.
The stadium holds 7,157 so when it's full there's no estimate needed.

@southbottomU Be honest, when is the last time Salem even came close to having 7k people at a game?

3 times in the last 2 years. Stadium was packed for the Adam Ward tribute and for the GW-Danville and Liberty games last year. It will be packed again in a few days.

You guys ever feign to make a deep run in the playoffs one day and you can come see Salem on a Saturday with a capacity crowd. I'm sure myself and others ITT have seen it countless times. The stadium wasn't built over-capacity and you can ask an Amherst or PC fan what it's like when it's packed.

Part of the deal of a packed stadium is the away fans traveling, too. Don't blame us when these LoCo teams bring 70 fans.

Reactions: Amgis
Of course we do, but we always come close to filling our side even when we're bad, and we don't have the winning tradition Salem does. Any photos online of Salem Stadium filled for Salem games?
You have access to the same interweb as everyone else, look for yourself if it's that important to you!

Of course we do, but we always come close to filling our side even when we're bad, and we don't have the winning tradition Salem does. Any photos online of Salem Stadium filled for Salem games?
check out these photos of stadium
StadiumWide.jpg

Salem can get about 10000 in when people sit on the hill opposite the field house----I have seen that filled in games before
tn_Salem-Stadium.jpg

Reactions: Amgis
by the way the boxes at the top of the home side are rented out-----our version of sky boxes

Salem has the largest and most consistent fan base of anyone in the Roanoke area. You could probably push that out to southwest VA and maybe top 3 in the state. Amherst, Richlands, and Giles are up there too. Pulaski in prior years, especially the 90's could pack a large stadium as well and may have exceeded Salem's average attendance a few years. Yes, I can definitely see 8-10 thousand Friday night. I think you'll see a considerable number of fans from other highschools (myself included) who can't resist seeing two undefeated teams with such a storied rivalry meet up for the last game of the regular season. I was at the Amherst 06 game that DEFINITELY had 11000+ . I have never in all my life been to a high school football game with not only that amount of fans, but with the electric atmosphere that was on display that crisp November evening. I've been to countless Northside/Salem games that were a sight to behold, but no game touches the Amherst 06 for me (although Amherst 07 was awesome as well). As far as lower attendance seen in some of the previous two years during the playoffs at Salem, I would give several reasons: 1) Weather - The first few cold evenings of late fall really get fans because their not use to it yet. Add in a chance of rain, and numbers drop significantly. I've seen this at mutiple locations that typically fill seats including Northside. 2) Familiarity - Tradition is important everywhere, but in SW VA where you have large numbers of people that have been here for generations, they want to see "traditional" powers duke it out. Bring in an unknown team and interest drops somewhat, not to mention teams from 3-4 hours away that also fail to bring support. 3) Roanoke has a lot going on some weekends (concerts, festivals, other big games, etc...) that cut in to attendance on occaision. However, really its a combination of all three that drastically drop attendance in places like Salem on Northside. Rest assured, this Friday night NONE of these will be an issue. Salem stadium will fill and as much as I hate to admit it since my Vikings will be playing at home, I'll be there to see the Cougars and Spartans go to head to head.

1 is a fine spread to me, as long as Salem has more points on the scoreboard than Pulaski does. I think posts like this can provide bulletin board material. Pulaski will give the Spartans their A game, better be ready to play. Hope for a good injury free game where the 50/50 pot is insane and my number is called!

I've always felt that teams that need bulletin board material are frauds.

Reactions: salemfan32
Man, im glad somebody changed the subject to fans instead of can the Cougars cover the spread..lol
Me too, not to disparage the original poster, but it felt insulting to be talking about the game in terms of betting lines rather than offensive and defensive lines! I'm hoping for a good injury free game that prepares both teams for the playoffs.

I've always felt that teams that need bulletin board material are frauds.
I'm not sure about that Rod, but sometimes it's hard to tell what motivates 15-18 year old kids. Pulaski is 9-0 for the first time in 7 years, have lost the last 6 to Salem, if it's close late, all bets are off.

Nice explanation, SBU. That helps us that are not from the area understand the dynamics. I think every area has similar situations. But, mostly in reverse. In other words, can't stand each other, from an athletic competition point of view. But deep down, sensible people just know it's all in good fun, and they get along fine. Because, like you say, many of us work together, attend church together, shop at the same stores, etc.

But, back to my point, good job. And, thanks.

Me too, not to disparage the original poster, but it felt insulting to be talking about the game in terms of betting lines rather than offensive and defensive lines! I'm hoping for a good injury free game that prepares both teams for the playoffs.
If you and pcken (or anyone else) were insulted by the thread and poll, I can assure you that I didn't intend for it to be disrespectful, so apologies if it came across that way. I respect Gilliam's Ratings and really appreciate the time and effort he puts into them (and I find myself checking them multiple times a week), I was just curious if people felt this game would be a blowout like his ratings are projecting, or a closer game. Sometimes things come across differently over text than in person, so again, it was a genuine question, not a slap in the face to either team. Regardless, I am planning on making the trip down south to check this one out and to be a part of the hopefully packed house.

If you and pcken (or anyone else) were insulted by the thread and poll, I can assure you that I didn't intend for it to be disrespectful, so apologies if it came across that way. I respect Gilliam's Ratings and really appreciate the time and effort he puts into them (and I find myself checking them multiple times a week), I was just curious if people felt this game would be a blowout like his ratings are projecting, or a closer game. Sometimes things come across differently over text than in person, so again, it was a genuine question, not a slap in the face to either team. Regardless, I am planning on making the trip down south to check this one out and to be a part of the hopefully packed house.
I wasn't insulted Keith, but I wasn't on the wrong end of the spread. I know you didn't mean anything by it, just a thread to generate discussion. If you make it down and would like to meet I should be at the Stadium around 6 hopefully. Let me know if you are interested and I'll give you a meeting place.

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
In the future, maybe not talk about it in terms of lines and spreads.

Maybe just say, "Wow, Gilliam's Ratings predict Salem 45, Pulaski 16. You guys think that it's going to be closer?"

We've already had a stupid Washington Post article about this site "encouraging betting"

In the future, maybe not talk about it in terms of lines and spreads.

Maybe just say, "Wow, Gilliam's Ratings predict Salem 45, Pulaski 16. You guys think that it's going to be closer?"

We've already had a stupid Washington Post article about this site "encouraging betting"
Noted.

Wow, will definitely steer clear of that verbiage again after reading that article, yikes. My bad fellas!

I dont know dude, you might be right. I think the injury bug has hit the Cougars pretty hard this week.

Salem will beat them. And where on earth does anyone get that Salem fans don't show up in large numbers at games? I see packed stands. I see packed stands when we are the visiting team. I see more Salem fans than opponent fans at every game, no matter the location.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT