ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the Officials

m-squared

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 20, 2002
I noticed something at the game I was at last night - noticed it for years - it's not a rules things (I don't think) but I thought it would be interesting to get your opinions. We're in the last minute of the first half, team trailing is in the red zone trying to score. The home team band is standing on the end line from the goal post to the pylon waiting to go on at the half - some are actually slightly on the field (in the end zone) - flag girls flags are touching the pylon. This seems to be a safety thing - plus pass play with receiver in the back of the end zone could result in contact - in the end zone with a band member or flag (in games I've worked the chains I've had the band on the sidelines with me near the end of the first half and I can tell you the band members are not all paying attention to the game - never understood why the band director told them to stand their where they could get hurt). Can the officials do anything about this? I know basketball officials make cheerleaders move that are on the end line under the basket (at least at the games I attend) - seems to be the same thing - though probably not as high a chance of player/non-player contact in the footballend line situation. Just interested in your opinion. Thanks. Have a good one!

I've seen plenty of bands behind the endzones but I've never seen them as close as you describe. I would want my deep officials to move the band off the field. As for the sidelines, they have to be back 2 yards like everyone else.

Originally posted by White hat:
As for the sidelines, they have to be back 2 yards like everyone else.

The sidelines AND the end zone. The 2 yard belt extends around the entire field.

Originally posted by FBRef:

Originally posted by White hat:
As for the sidelines, they have to be back 2 yards like everyone else.

The sidelines AND the end zone. The 2 yard belt extends around the entire field.
Welllll....
It extends around the field for SOME schools. ;-)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT