ADVERTISEMENT

Question

SpartanOfYore

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 15, 2009
At which site did the regular season meeting between PC and Salem in 2001, played on October 5, take place? Fourseasonsfootball.com shows it being played at Salem Stadium. However, my memory tells me that it was played at Kenneth Dobson Stadium. I would swear in court that I remember traveling to PC twice in 2001, for both that regular season meeting and the regional championship (both of which ended in big PC victories).

Thanks.

Last edited:
Cougardave -

At which site did the regular season meeting between PC and Salem in 2001, played on October 5, take place? Fourseasonsfootball.com shows it being played at Salem Stadium. However, my memory tells me that it was played at Kenneth Dobson Stadium. I would swear in court that I remember traveling to PC twice in 2001, for both that regular season meeting and the regional championship (both of which ended in big PC victories). I thought I would avail myself of your records and/or memory.

Thanks in advance!
It was at Salem in the regular season. I can tell you this with 100% certainty.

The playoff game was at PC and it was a very, very cold night.

Reactions: VHSL-helper
They dropped to AA in 2001, I wonder if that caused some schedule snafus they had to adjust to and this was one of them. I know for a fact 2000 was in Salem so it should have been in Dublin but I'm guessing that's the reason why.

Cougardave -

At which site did the regular season meeting between PC and Salem in 2001, playe on October 5, take place? Fourseasonsfootball.com shows it being played at Salem Stadium. However, my memory tells me that it was played at Kenneth Dobson Stadium. I would swear in court that I remember traveling to PC twice in 2001, for both that regular season meeting and the regional championship (both of which ended in big PC victories). I thought I would avail myself of your records and/or memory.

Thanks in advance!
Pulaski Co played Salem twice at home on 2001.

You're thinking about 2008 when Salem traveled to Pulaski County twice. We came from behind in the final game of the regular season to finish 10-0, then completely overpowered Salem in the Region Title game.
It may seem that way, but I honestly wasn’t thinking about 2008, as I do remember going to both of those games quite specifically. The regional championship game was possibly the coldest game I’ve ever attended - but I stuck it out until the bitter (for Salem) end.

I was remembering 2001 incorrectly. I used to keep handwritten records of the score of each game, and for a few opponents, I’d record the site, as well. I have that regular season game in ‘01 written down as being played at PC. Then I saw that fourseasonsfootball.com had it occurring at Salem Stadium. I clearly made a mistake. It happens to the best of us - and to me, as well.

Cougarfootball.net used to have all your articles and photos from forever readily available, and that was the first place I looked. However, that site is apparently under renovation, and the records for 2001 are not available.

At any rate, thanks for responding.

I'm working on getting it back up to speed, but trying to include all sports on it. It'll be a work in progress for a while. We've been fortunate that people cared enough to save the football history through the years. I'm having to dig a lot harder to find the other sports history.

Reactions: Shabutie
I'm working on getting it back up to speed, but trying to include all sports on it. It'll be a work in progress for a while. We've been fortunate that people cared enough to save the football history through the years. I'm having to dig a lot harder to find the other sports history.

Yes, I can imagine what an emormous amount of work such an undertaking would be. I wasn't sure if you are the webmaster for that site or not. If so - my complements. That's a great site, and a great resource. I especially used to like the playoff history links, that had the entire VHSL playoff results. As far as I know, that's the only place where one could find the VHSL football playoff history in bracket form. I pored over those pages for hours. I heartily encourage you to update that section through this spring's playoffs, in your copious amounts of spare time LOL.

A fellow PCHS grad, Steve Marcus, was the original webmaster for the original site. He and his family have always been huge Cougar fans. Back when Coach Hicks was still around, the idea of a team website was brought up. Steve and a few other guys got busy and put together what was, without question, one of the top high school football sites around. Ken Blevins, Pete Jackson and a few others pitched in to help with stats, scores and stories. Steve did pictures and the web work. Eventually Ken started doing some of the web stuff as well. After I got out of the Army and got hurt, I got back into photography and one thing led to another. The Southwest Times started using some of my pics from basketball games, then when spring rolled around they asked me if I could do some of those as well. Football was naturally next for me. I continued to get more and more involved as time went on until I'm where I am today. I do it all for the hotdogs, no question about it. I still curse Christiansburg for changing their chili recipe after Coach Cromer stepped down. I still think Alleghany had the best concession stand ever. While we do it a lot differently now, a few of us still eat together before the games. I still hate Scott Shaffer. I still refer to Salem as Sodom from time to time. The new site is slowly taking shape. It will be a long-term process as coaches slowly get me info, but it'll be worth it.

Reactions: Shabutie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT