ADVERTISEMENT

Question

m-squared

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 20, 2002
I don't ask many questions on here thought I do enjoy very much reading the questions asked by others and the answers from the officials. To the officials who answer our questions - thanks for taking the time to do so and help us learn about the game we enjoy very much. On to my question; I was working on the chain crew at a game last Friday night and something happened I don't believe I've seen in my 36 years on the chains. After a penalty, the official who was working our side, asked the visiting coach if he wanted the clock to start or not. Under what conditions, does a coach get to decide whether the clock starts after a penalty? Have a good one!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I don't ask many questions on here thought I do enjoy very much reading the questions asked by others and the answers from the officials. To the officials who answer our questions - thanks for taking the time to do so and help us learn about the game we enjoy very much. On to my question; I was working on the chain crew at a game last Friday night and something happened I don't believe I've seen in my 36 years on the chains. After a penalty, the official who was working our side, asked the visiting coach if he wanted the clock to start or not. Under what conditions, does a coach get to decide whether the clock starts after a penalty? Have a good one!
Under 2 minutes in either half when there is a foul and the clock would otherwise start on the ready-for-play signal (whistle).

Rule 3-4-7: “When a foul is committed with less than two minutes remaining in either half, the offended team will have the option to start the game clock on the snap.”

Note this is only an option when the clock would start on the ready-for-play. If the clock is already starting on the snap, the offended team does not have the option to start the clock on the ready-for-play. It’s a one way street.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Thanks! I learned something which is always a good thing I think! Have a good one!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT