ADVERTISEMENT

Question

GoMBKMonarchs

VaPreps All Region
Feb 2, 2005
This is totally out of curiousity. The situation had absolutely zero impact on the game I saw. But, at the end of the first quarter, the offense was called for a penalty as the clock ran out. The ref's lined the teams up and they played an untimed down. I've never seen anything like this, and I was curious if it was correct. If so, when does this occur in a game? I had always thought this type of thing occurred at the end of a half, and only if the defense committed the foul. But, what I saw was very different than what I thought the enforcement rule was. So, please, educate me.

No period can end with a play where there is an accepted live ball penalty.

The exception to this is loss of down penalties like illegal forward pass. If the penalty includes the loss of the right to replay the down, then there is no extension of the period.

You only think of this happening during the last play of either half, because that's when it's most critical, but the rules apply to the last play of any quarter. Too many TV commentators say things like "the half can't end on a defensive penalty." which is true, but it's part of a bigger truth which is, "no quarter can end on an accepted penalty." For each half, if the defense fouls, the offense will accept it for an untimed down and another chance to score. If the offense fouls during the last play of the second or forth quarters and they didn't score on the play, obviously the defense would decline because the half would be over. To accept is to give them another chance to score in the untimed down.

Hope that helps.

Just to add, there's a difference in the NCAA rule and the NFHS rule.

In high school, if the last play in a period chas an accepted penalty for a live ball foul, an untimed down is required.

In college, if time expires during a down for which there's a accepted penalty a live ball foul, an untimed down is required

For example, a face mask foul occurs against the defense on a run that ends inbounds. There are 10 seconds remaining when the referee winds the clock. The period expires before the next play.

In HS, we'll play an untimed down, as the last play in the period requirement would be met.

In college, you would not, as time did not expire during the play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT