ADVERTISEMENT

Quiz 2

Only if it's intentional. If the player is attempting a block and slaps the backboard- no technical. But, if the player intentionally slaps the backboard, yes, it's a technical. The issue is intent.

Q2, Part B: What happens then when a shot is taken and MADE and the illegal backboard contact occurs?

Re: Not sure I follow

A) player hits a fast break layup; defender coming along BEHIND play smacks backboard, obviously too late to get the block and with enough force to shake goal.

B) same play, but shot is missed.

What can be called; what is most likely called; and point of post, why do most fans (and some coaches) scream for a T any time this play happens?

In A the bucket was good so no worries. T the player for unsporting act if it was deemed to be not an attempt to block shot. Scoring team also gets ball at division line

In B it gets a little more difficult. If the slapping of the backboard was an attempt to block then it is nothing. However, if the slapping was not a block AND caused the shot to be missed ... then goaltending could be called and a T. Lots of judgements going on in this one.

I say probably not a technical. If the defender is making a play for the block and slaps the backboard, there was no intend to simply smack the backboard, so I don't see this as a technical. I believe it needs to be an intentional act in an effort to draw attention- basically slapping the backboard with no other intent but to slap the backboard.

If the defender slaps the backboard hard enough to knock dust out of ceiling and the shot is made,it is nothing. If the shot is missed then it is a "T". Delayed whistle is great at times on the floor.

Good comments, leading to more parts of this discussion. So, if slapping of backboard brings "dust out of ceiling" a penalty is assessed only if basket is missed? Didn't the player do the same illegal act, regardless of whether the ball went in the hoop?
I see and have heard this a lot...even though the rule book allows, most often there will be no 6 (or 7) pt play here. By that I mean, guy makes shot, defender gets T for illegal contact of backboard, team makes 2 ft's, then gets ball again and scores a bucket.
If the shot is missed is there rule provision for simply counting it on basket interference or goaltending, ruling the contact vibrated, shook, or moved the goal enough to cause the shot to fail?

8 point play

A few years back, Altavista had an 8 point play against Gretna, if my memory is correct, or maybe even higher point play.

I cannot recall details, but it was a real hose job on Gretna, with 2 or 3 T's being call, after an even worse call during play, End result was the largest point swing I have ever seen in basketball. Wish I could remember it exactly.

Re: 8 point play

if you had been at this game, you would have agreed with me. (the more I think about it, I believe it was a 11 point play.)

Well all I can say is if it was an 11 point play, I'm sure someone(s) deserved it...or most of it.

Let's try to stick to the thread topic regarding the original question about slapping the backboard. Do you recall this action in the Gretna vs Altavista play you are referencing? If not, please take your comments to another thread or topic. Thanks.

I cannot recall if slapping back board was at issue or not. I was just saying an 8 point play (or more) occurred, which it did. I am not trying to start World War 3.

You are not starting any war, but your continual exaggerated posts with no details to back up your stories leave you with little cred on this board. You are aware of that right?

Re: Aww, c'mon

HR 6 would have to stick his hands in his pockets to be able to count to 11.

Here is the rule on contacting the back board.
Rule 10-3
Section 3 Player Technical.
Art. 4 Illegally contactingt the backboard/ring by:
a.Placing a hand on a backboard or to gain an advantage.
b.Intentionally slapping or striking the backboard or causing the ring to vibrate while a try or tap is in flight or is touching the backboard or is in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.

This post was edited on 1/16 3:37 PM by bowlingref

Re: Aww, c'mon

Now the tricky part (can be) is applying the penalty depending on situation.

Looks like it's purely a judgement call

It comes down to the player's intent, which the official has to judge.

Re: Looks like it's purely a judgement call

Judgement is also needed here, am I correct, even if contact is unintentional and a legal play on follow through of a block, if such contact were to also vibrate the goal enough while the ball was either on the rim or within the cylinder, to cause the shot to be missed?

Most refs will give the basket interference if the goal is missed and then nothing at all if the bakset is made. No need to attract attention or to cause a rift if it is not needed.

Still, an official cannot ignore a blatant, excessive, and/or intentional smacking of the backboard, regardless of what happens with the ball on the shot. The rules allow, but seldom do you see, the official call a T for the backboard contact on a MADE shot. Reason being, officials would not want to access such a penalty (2pts for made basket, 2 ft's for T, ball possession and chance at 6 or 7 pt play) except in a very obvious situation and play. Bear in mind, this would be entirely within the rule frameworks to do so, but would most likely be the result of a sure case of excessive force, outside of a clear attempt to actually block the shot. Rulebook: 10-3-4b

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT