ADVERTISEMENT

Quiz 4

gymrat10

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 21, 2004
For this weeks discussion we have a fairly common play that quite honestly I have seen called differently from time to time:

Player drives into lane, stops, jumps, and releases ball on shot attempt. His defender partially blocks the shot, but while the shooter is still in the air, he is able to regain control of the ball. He returns to the floor with it, dribbles again to basket and scores. Is this a legal play by the offensive player? Would it be traveling or an illegal dribble violation? Could it be a jump ball?

There's a first time for everything, I guess

I agree with HR6. Since the shot was blocked, I believe the offensive player regains possession with the right to dribble. Again, a guess.

Re: There's a first time for everything, I guess

Word "partially blocked" mean the whole deal here. The player can recover the ball assuming he let go and go to the hoop score 2. If the ball was held for a split second, then the jump ball may be the best course of action.

If the shooter released the shot, then there is no team control. The shooter should be able to get the ball back and dribble,shoot or pass the ball.

What is a partically blocked shot ? If the defender got a hand on ball after it left shooter's hand, I say it's a blocked shot

The word "partially" is used in this case to illustrate in the play that the ball remained within reach of the still airborne shooter, not thrown into the first row of bleachers.

Splitting hairs in bang bang play like that is kinda tough. Put two on the board and move on. The key word in your question his the shooter released the ball. When the defender touched it, then the shooter can regain possession and shot again or dribble or throw the ball in the stands.
This post was edited on 1/31 3:03 PM by bowlingref

Maybe splitting hairs, but maybe difference in rule one way or another?

If ball left shooter's hand and was touched by defender somewhere between shooter's hand and the rim, then the shooter can regain control of ball, and as BowlingRef said, shoot, dribble , pass or throw it into stands. If he shoots and ball goes thru basket, put up 2 points and "get back on defense",

Case Book 9.5.1
A1 ends a dribble and then jumps and releases the ball on try for a goal.B1 partially blocks the shot,but A1 secures control again while still in the air. A1 returns to the floor and dribbles to the basket and scores.
Ruling. Legal maneuver.Both player control and team control ended when A1 released the ball..When A1 recovered he/she could dribble again similar to dribbling after catching a pass or rebound.

Well, there ya go! (guess you see where I got the play from) How many times have you seen this called a traveling violation though? A few times, enough so most fans are confused by it. You mentioned splitting hairs? What if, while shooter is airborne and before release on a shot attempt, ball is merely touched by defender (not dislodged) and offensive player than returns to floor with ball?

Thanks for making my original answer to quiz look good.

(I was once a high school basketball ref in another state back in 1980s)

I almost had that play last night in a game. Would have been a walk the way the play could have happened.

Yes HR, I have to give props...you were right on it with your answer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT