ADVERTISEMENT

Radford’s Matthew Saunders has stepped down

Hate to hear that. Best of luck to Matt on his next adventure.\
I coached with Matt many moons ago at Altavista and he loves his football and his dream job was to be back at Radford.
I will also add that before the game against the Raiders last Friday, Matt brought a card signed by his team and his staff for Coach Smith (who is battling cancer) and gave it to one of our coaches.
That's the kind of coaches these kids need! Fiercely competitive yet knows that its a game and life needs people to care about each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldSchoolRaider
He told the kids after the Appo game so I have been surprised it took this long to hit the news. It had been rumored since the beginning of the season. Matthew is a good man and this was a tough decision because it was his dream job. I thought he was a really good x and o's coach. Radford High is having lots of changes in the administration. They need a change at AD also so maybe there will be a whole new slate starting next year. There is lots of young talent returning and lots of talent that didn't play so maybe a new coach can get them into the program. Maybe we can get Cormany to coach football too! Lol.

Reactions: oldfool2
He told the kids after the Appo game so I have been surprised it took this long to hit the news. It had been rumored since the beginning of the season. Matthew is a good man and this was a tough decision because it was his dream job. I thought he was a really good x and o's coach. Radford High is having lots of changes in the administration. They need a change at AD also so maybe there will be a whole new slate starting next year. There is lots of young talent returning and lots of talent that didn't play so maybe a new coach can get them into the program. Maybe we can get Cormany to coach football too! Lol.
Sorry to hear this. Matt Saunders is a good man and as far as I know has been a class act on and off the field. I have met him on several occasions. His teams are well coached and disciplined. Radford High is losing someone who just may be hard to replace. Good luck to Matt and congrats for a job well done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT