ADVERTISEMENT

Radford 20 Gretna 7 FINAL

obguthr

VaPreps Honorable Mention
May 29, 2003
Staunton, VA
Prioleau scores TD on first play, fumbles on a later posession. Gretna scores TD on deep pass. Radford 7 Gretna 7

Last edited:
Reactions: moto138
Gretna had multiple series where they were tackled for loss on each play. I know I saw the QB take 3 consecutive sacks. Some holding calls didn't help either.

Oh

thats all Radford could score on gretna! Raiders had the subs in 4 th quarter to call the dogs off ! Guess you will need to be convinced too!

I thought Appo only scored 24 on them. Thats just a difference of 4 points. And if youre going by that Appo allowed Glenvar to score 21 while Radford only gave up 7. I think itll be a close one but i ssee Appo coming out with the win.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Gretna needs to toughen up non district schedule. played only 2 tough teams in regular season. scored 6 and 7 points in those 2 games. playing and beating AltaVista in non district game doesn't help come playoff time.

I agree. Playing Altavista twice does nothing but provide a big gate for them.

Reactions: moto138
I agree. Playing Altavista twice does nothing but provide a big gate for them.
I agree with playing anyone twice during regular season is a bad idea. No argument there. As for toughing up the Gretna schedule, who do you propose they play?

I agree with playing anyone twice during regular season is a bad idea. No argument there. As for toughing up the Gretna schedule, who do you propose they play?

I dont know... Tunstall,
Do you play any Seminole???
I know most all schools play 10 different teams.

I wish we could drop Chatham and Nelson (when they come back) and put another Seminole team on the schedule and pick up Goochlands.

I dont know... Tunstall,
Do you play any Seminole???
I know most all schools play 10 different teams.

I wish we could drop Chatham and Nelson (when they come back) and put another Seminole team on the schedule and pick up Goochlands.
Gretna already plays Tunstall because they are a county school. Reason they play Altavista twice is Nelson dropped out for a couple years. As for Seminole , they were playing Brookville and Heritage but dropped both of them as Heritage and Brookville were going up and Gretna was going down. That was probably a mistake. Still your point is well taken as there are other Seminole teams that Gretna possibly could play. Gretna used to play LCA but former coach Kevin Saunders had them dropped becasue LCA recruited and he didnt feel that was fair.

Playing anyone in Seminole would be good for Gretna. We need to get away from the Nottoways, Brunswicks, Bluestones and Randolph Henrys of the world. If we're going "east" for games, we need to go to "757" area., or even Richmond area.

Playing anyone in Seminole would be good for Gretna. We need to get away from the Nottoways, Brunswicks, Bluestones and Randolph Henrys of the world. If we're going "east" for games, we need to go to "757" area., or even Richmond area.
Nottaway is Richmond area. Darn close. Next two years Gretna plays Thomas Jefferson which is Richmond.

Gretna already plays Tunstall because they are a county school. Reason they play Altavista twice is Nelson dropped out for a couple years. As for Seminole , they were playing Brookville and Heritage but dropped both of them as Heritage and Brookville were going up and Gretna was going down. That was probably a mistake. Still your point is well taken as there are other Seminole teams that Gretna possibly could play. Gretna used to play LCA but former coach Kevin Saunders had them dropped becasue LCA recruited and he didnt feel that was fair.

That's right! I forgot you played Tunstall.
They played Altavista twice for many years now though. I coached there (Colonel Town) back years ago and I remember Vick Hall just killing us (he was a freshman I think).
I totally agree with why LCA was dropped.

They played Altavista twice for many years now though. I coached there (Colonel Town) back years ago and I remember Vick Hall just killing us (he was a freshman I think).
You are correct in that Gretna has played Altavista twice before. When both teams were good it was a real money maker especially in basketball. But you just dont want to do this and especially twice in three games as they did this year.

If my memory is correct, Vic Hall only played against Altavista once. Gretna won 12-6 in overtime. Altavista dropped Gretna after that season.

If my memory is correct, Vic Hall only played against Altavista once. Gretna won 12-6 in overtime. Altavista dropped Gretna after that season.
Correct. Vic was a freshman playing for Prunty. Gretna escaped ATown that night by the skin of their teeth. Altavista did what Nelson has done and went to a different schedule to get their numbers back up and the program on the right track. And it eventually worked.

This begs the question. Who's better, Vic Hall or Juan Thornhill?
Both played at a higher level. Great to watch. I dont do either the injustice of saying who was better. Who had the better surrounding caste? Who played tougher competition? So many factors. I say I was lucky to see both play. By the way, is Juan big enough for NFL? Vic was maybe just a little to small. Your thoughts.

Gretna needs to toughen up non district schedule. played only 2 tough teams in regular season. scored 6 and 7 points in those 2 games. playing and beating AltaVista in non district game doesn't help come playoff time.
One thought on Gretna toughning their schedule. Gretna and for that matter Altavista are not the same teams they were in the 2003 and 4 eras. Both schools along with William Campbell have shrunk in size due to factory closings in the Altavista/Hurt areas. Gretna played tougher competition then because we were a big 2A school and now we have shrank till we are very close to joining Altavista and WC in single A. These three schools may never see the depth of talent that they enjoyed in that time with Altavista being the most recent. Drive thru Hurt sometime and notice that tall brick smokestack that used to mean maybe 1500 jobs and cross the river and checkout Lane Company that probably employed 2000 in its heyday. Several other closings and downsizings with support companies also feeling the pinch. It is sad. Western Virginia teams know a little about this scenario.

Reactions: obguthr
One thought on Gretna toughning their schedule. Gretna and for that matter Altavista are not the same teams they were in the 2003 and 4 eras. Both schools along with William Campbell have shrunk in size due to factory closings in the Altavista/Hurt areas. Gretna played tougher competition then because we were a big 2A school and now we have shrank till we are very close to joining Altavista and WC in single A. These three schools may never see the depth of talent that they enjoyed in that time with Altavista being the most recent. Drive thru Hurt sometime and notice that tall brick smokestack that used to mean maybe 1500 jobs and cross the river and checkout Lane Company that probably employed 2000 in its heyday. Several other closings and downsizings with support companies also feeling the pinch. It is sad. Western Virginia teams know a little about this scenario.
I agree 100% on the jobs and how it affected schools. Look at Martinsville HS- used to dominate Football and Basketball but lost all of the furniture and textile plants not to mention tobacco. I will argue one point however; if the right bloodlines stay around numbers sometimes don't matter. Case in point is WC. They won the state with a total of maybe 300 hundred students total in HS. They just have some freakish genetics. Haley's, Peerman's and other families are just freakish athletes.

Radford dominated Glenvar, Appo did not, just sayin
I agree that it will be close. Nothing but respect for where Radford is. My only comment against the "domination" you talk about is that the Radford game was in poor field conditions which helps big lineman (Radford- although Glenvar has some hosses as well). Secondly both Appomattox and Gretna gave the ball up this week. Gretna more than Appo. The New England Patriots can't win if they cough the ball up, especially if the field position helps the opposing team score off of it. Still I agree that this is going to be a barnburner. Go Raiders!

With better "passing attack", Gretna might still be playing. I believe we ran ball 33 times vs Radford and threw ball 9 times. Granted we got sacked a few times, but I think that came after falling behind and had to throw to score quickly to get back in game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT