ADVERTISEMENT

Radford 21 vs Gretna20

radcats

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 27, 2009
Wow! What a game.
Gretna sure showed theirselves after the game..unbelievable.

Those who think one player makes a team as far as Radfords team goes, dont know much..the line play is the difference.

Reactions: obguthr
Took their helmets at the end of the game and threw them, right after the pat. Just letting their emotions get the best of them.
They also was purposely jumping offsides when Radford was attempting their pat. I blame that on the VHSL though...I cant believe theres not a rule in place for that..
Gretna is very solid though..I think they had 460 yards of offense. These two teams matched up very well, and were dang near mirror images of eachother.

HR6..them Gretna players played hard...I said mirror image...however, Radfords kicker would be the difference.
On another note, I think gretna should have went for the td over the fg attempt at the end of regulation..it was 2nd down at the 1/2 yard line with 8 seconds, a timeout, and with the best rb in aa (with pj out imo)...what do you do?

Run ball or a RPO. Radford would have been expecting run, thus someone should been open. Kicking FG that close to goal line is harder than most think it is.

Run ball or a RPO. Radford would have been expecting run, thus someone should been open. Kicking FG that close to goal line is harder than most think it is.

That's why Union declined an offsides penalty inside the five at the end of the game. Being too close can create a tough angle.

First Downs – Radford 11, Gretna 19
Total Yds.- Radford 222 , Gretna 440
Penalties – Radford 7-90 yds., Gretna 5- 28 yds.
Fumbles -lost – Radford 1-0, Gretna 0-0
Rushing -Radford- 214 yds., Gretna – 368 yds.
Passing – Radford – 8 yds. , Gretna- 72 yds.
Punts- Avg.- Radford 7- 44.0, Gretna 3-32.3

First Downs – Radford 11, Gretna 19
Total Yds.- Radford 222 , Gretna 440
Penalties – Radford 7-90 yds., Gretna 5- 28 yds.
Fumbles -lost – Radford 1-0, Gretna 0-0
Rushing -Radford- 214 yds., Gretna – 368 yds.
Passing – Radford – 8 yds. , Gretna- 72 yds.
Punts- Avg.- Radford 7- 44.0, Gretna 3-32.3
Looks like Gretna won every where except the score board.....does anyone have time of possession?

Gretna probably won time of possession as they had alot of long drives. Radford only crossed midfield twice. One being a kick return all way to first and goal and one long drive to produce their two scores in regulation. Gretna had four drives into Radford territory that produced no points. Two of them at goal line. Don't understand kicking it on half yard line with 8 seconds left after just the previous drive was on 15 and went for it on fourth down instead of kicking. Think it's funny someone mentions kids taking helmets off at the end when the biggest complaint in the game is when Radford's 55 took his helmet off and threw it on ground in first quarter. That's actually supposed to be an injection but at worst has to sit out a play but was allowed to stay on field. His helmet came off three more times. Last time him and a Gretna players helmet both came off. Gretna player was made to go to sidelines for a play and 55 allowed to stay in the game. Radford had three unsportsmanship penalties. One for mailing player in the back away from ball after play and another for diving head first into player already tackled on the ground. Didn't want to complain but don't think Radford has no reason to complain about sportsmanship after that game. These teams will meet again I have a feeling.

Reactions: obguthr
Sounds like it was a good game. You know what they say about playing a team twice, tough to beat them if it’s evenly matched. Congrats on the win to Radford and it’s good to see Gretna back to having a deep playoff run as a very real possibility.

Reactions: gweagles1
On another note, I think gretna should have went for the td over the fg attempt at the end of regulation..it was 2nd down at the 1/2 yard line with 8 seconds, a timeout, and with the best rb in aa (with pj out imo)...what do you do?

How did Gretna's line do in short yardage situations? If they were getting pushed around by Radford, which I can totally see, the coach made a reasonable decision.

only 2 stats that count Ws and Ls well done Bobcats, on a side note Blacksburg bought Buddy Martin back home last night and put him back in the Blue and Gold :)

Gretna probably won time of possession as they had alot of long drives. Radford only crossed midfield twice. One being a kick return all way to first and goal and one long drive to produce their two scores in regulation. Gretna had four drives into Radford territory that produced no points. Two of them at goal line. Don't understand kicking it on half yard line with 8 seconds left after just the previous drive was on 15 and went for it on fourth down instead of kicking. Think it's funny someone mentions kids taking helmets off at the end when the biggest complaint in the game is when Radford's 55 took his helmet off and threw it on ground in first quarter. That's actually supposed to be an injection but at worst has to sit out a play but was allowed to stay on field. His helmet came off three more times. Last time him and a Gretna players helmet both came off. Gretna player was made to go to sidelines for a play and 55 allowed to stay in the game. Radford had three unsportsmanship penalties. One for mailing player in the back away from ball after play and another for diving head first into player already tackled on the ground. Didn't want to complain but don't think Radford has no reason to complain about sportsmanship after that game. These teams will meet again I have a feeling.

55 didn't take his helmet off on the kick return. He pancaked a player and the gretna player pulled it off of him, that happened 2 more times. But he was allowed to stay in because Radford took a timeout which counts as a play same as a timeout with an injury instead of an injury time out. The one for mauling was true, the two players got heated between each other and it was taken too far. The one diving head first was someone diving for a tackle as the gretna player was going down and it was a bang bang play. It was the right call though but it wasn't intentionally dirty or trying to hurt anyone. That was just a hard fought gritty game.

Even a fake FG may have been a good play.
I think official stats had GRETNA 2 FOR 10 IN PASSING GAME. Think this is correct. Officials explained to Gretna coaches about helmet issues. All was well even though fans were upset who did not hear officials. Both teams fans and even some coaches thought officials were biased. LOL. Officials in my opinion did a good job and stats show that Gretna got the better end of it. The field goal. 3rd down not second. If we had tried to punch it in and got stuffed would there have been time to run another play. Kicker had kicked two extra points and looked good doing it. It was one of the best high school games i have witnessed. Shame someone had to lose but kudos to Radford and Gretna keep your heads up.

Reactions: moto138
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT